PDA

View Full Version : 71 yo Amonte still at it

point given
06-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Monmouth park , June 24, 2007. #6 Jockey, Frank Amonte. Gosh, I thought, is he still riding. I saw him at the Northampton fair years ago, and he was old back then. So, I went down to the rail to see his son, give him a leg up on a nickle claimer . i reminded him of Northampton, and he rasped," that place is closed". I watched him in the post parade and he looked a little nervous. Then it was out of the gate and down the backstretch, and I saw him check the 6 and standup in the irons. I just hoped he was alright and would finish the race safely. So , I googled his name after getting home and cameup with this article on him from the NY Times from January 07. He's still pursuing his goal of oldest winning jockey. I think its time to stop, although a match race with him against Cordero might be interesting.

http://www.globalaging.org/elderrights/us/2007/fame.htm

jotb
06-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Hello Point Given:

Tell Andy the next time you see him that Joe says get rid of that horse. LOL.
Andy used to be a jock way back in the day and had natural talent but had weight problems throughout his career which didn't last long. In regard to his father, I probably could have put him on a winner here at CT but thought that would have been a slap in the face to Willie Clark. I',m sure he will get another winner before he hangs his tack up.

Joe

Stevie Belmont
06-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Saw the race...Hopeless horse opened up at 3/2 before going off at 8/1 or so. I think he should pack it in. Does not look to smooth out there ot say the least.

point given
06-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Saw the race...Hopeless horse opened up at 3/2 before going off at 8/1 or so. I think he should pack it in. Does not look to smooth out there ot say the least.

I was really concerned for his safety when I saw him check on the backstretch. Are there any rules in racing as to the fitness of the jocky to ride ? some apprentices can also be quite a bit less than able .

cj
06-27-2007, 02:02 PM
When he rode in New York last year, he was a definite safety hazard on the track.

Steve 'StatMan'
06-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Amonte has another mount at MTH on Thursday, Race 1, #2 Mountain Jack.

FWIW - I dont think much of the horses' chances.