PDA

View Full Version : Attaching pictures

BIG RED
06-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Everytime I try to attach a picture, here at PA, most of the time it says it's two big. I know I can resize it, done that before, but I remember I put up a good size picture of Tom Brady. I just want to be able to put original (seeable) size up. Anyway this can be done? Brady I did accidental :D , and can't remember how.

Another simple question. I have an empty file in Docs that won't delete. Also tried to drop in Recycle and it won't move. How do I get rid of this? Hope it's not some type of virus

DJofSD
06-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Try the Faststone freeware to alter the picture. Main page here. (http://www.faststone.org/)

headhawg
06-23-2007, 10:41 AM
I use IrfanView for viewing/manipulating images.

IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/)

robert99
06-23-2007, 12:41 PM
http://www.softplatz.com/freeware/delete/

for a menu of freeware file deleters.

Usually, after installing, you right click file and set it to be deleted automatically after next reboot.

michiken
06-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Download a Linux Live CD called Slax (ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/linux/slax/SLAX-5.x/slax-5.1.8.1.iso)

Save the iso file to your hard drive.

Burn to CD.

Reset your BIOS to boot off cd.

The system will log in to the slax operating system with a gui manager called KDE which resembles windows.

Use the file manager to browse to /mnt/hda and see if you can find the offending folder.

Delete the file....

Shutdown slax.

Remove CD and reboot.

Total cost = your time and 1 cd.

PaceAdvantage
06-24-2007, 05:30 PM
If the picture in question RESIDES somewhere else on the web, it's possible to simply link to the picture, and it will show up here full size. (Click the icon directly to the left of the # icon...the one that says "Insert Image" if you hover your mouse over the icon)

If you actually want to ATTACH the photo to a post (meaning it sits on YOUR PC at the moment), this means you have to physically upload it to the server that hosts PaceAdvantage.Com, and this means you have to make sure it conforms to the size limits currently in place. (Click the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS button which is below the text editor that you use to type your replies)

bigmack
06-24-2007, 11:11 PM
If the picture in question RESIDES somewhere else on the web, it's possible to simply link to the picture, and it will show up here full size. (Click the icon directly to the left of the # icon...the one that says "Insert Image" if you hover your mouse over the icon)
I've heard that if you link to a picture from another site and they don't like the augmented bandwidth they have to pony-up to host it that sometimes they'll even change the link to something vile, vulger and revolting to thwart further usage to their linkiepoo. It's best to use a photo storage site, up it to there and link from there.

PaceAdvantage
06-24-2007, 11:20 PM
I've heard that if you link to a picture from another site and they don't like the augmented bandwidth they have to pony-up to host it that sometimes they'll even change the link to something vile, vulger and revolting to thwart further usage to their linkiepoo. It's best to use a photo storage site, up it to there and link from there.

I've heard that as well....:lol:

Photo storage sites do seem like a good idea in that case...

Gibbon
06-26-2007, 02:40 AM
There have been questions (past and present) concerning how to post a picture on this forum.

The use of a Photo Hosting Service is required. Pictures loaded here are actually "Hotlinked" from another website which archives your pictures and supplies you with a URL (web address) and code to cut and paste on other websites.

There are several popular photo hosts that supply the service for free including ImageShack (http://www.imageshack.us/), Photobucket (http://photobucket.com/), Flicker and many others. Photobucket and Imageshack are relatively intuitive in operation.

Once you’ve registered with a photo host, upload your pictures to that host. You will be prompted for a size you wish to use for your uploaded pictures. Choose either 640X480 or 800X600, There are other sizes offered but those two work well. Oversize pictures take a while to load on dial-up and distort the frames on PA's forum formatting. You can remove the size indicator line on the uploaded pics if you wish. High definition pictures will take a while to load regardless of size. For Dial-up use: Thumbnails are great as they load quickly and can be enlarged at the viewer’s discretion.

When you're ready to post, go to the photo host and select a picture, you can also browse other people’s pics and swipe if you prefer. It’s tacky but it happens all the time. Click on "get code". The host will provide you with a URL= code to cut and paste into your comment here.

The code format you will be looking for starts with [URL= ]. You can choose a thumbnail format (click to enlarge) or a full frame. Look for thumbnails for forums and message boards or code for forums. Copy the selected code and paste it into your message.

I use Imageshack. If you wish to see how the coding fits into a message select a message already on this forum that contains a picture and use the quote button to drop it into the editor pane/window. The editor exposes the formatting used.

BIG RED
06-26-2007, 09:37 AM
P A's post #6 explains it. I would have to resize my own, which I know how to do.

Thanks all.

Robert, I tried all of the freeware on that site. Still can't get rid of that file. (0 bytes) It's just sitting in my Documents.

tupper
06-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Robert, I tried all of the freeware on that site. Still can't get rid of that file. (0 bytes) It's just sitting in my Documents.Can you move the file to another directory/folder? If so, try creating a new directory/folder, and move the tenacious file into the new directory, then delete the directory.

If you can't move the file, transfer all of the other files/folders/directories out of the Docs directory/folder and into a temporary directory. Then, try to delete the Docs directory/folder. If it works, create a new Docs directory/folder and return all the other files/folders/directories.

If these attempts fail, try Michiken's suggestion (post #5). Keep in mind, that, in your CD burning software, there probably is special setting for burning ".iso images" to CD, and you have to use that setting to make a bootable, Slax live CD. If you burn the CD and the only file that appears on the CD is "slax-5.1.8.1.iso", you have just made a coaster. A bootable live CD usually contains several files/directories.

If your CD burning software can't burn ".iso" files to CD use the BurnCDCC (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html) utility for Windows.

By the way, you could also try the latest Puppy Linux (http://ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso) live CD instead of the Slax live CD -- Puppy is smaller and runs snappier (but the default graphics in Puppy are uglier.) When the Puppy desktop appears, click on the "Drives" icon and then click on the your hard drive's icon.

tupper
06-26-2007, 08:47 PM
By the way, you could also try the latest Puppy Linux live CD.Sorry. The Puppy Linux link that I gave doesn't seem to work.

Go to: ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/ and download "puppy-2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso".

Ponyplayr
07-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Easy Cleaner has a remove Unnecessary File feature..Try that.

BIG RED
07-01-2007, 06:38 PM
I have easy cleaner.

Still can't get rid of the pest?

tupper
07-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I guess deleting the Docs directory didn't work.

Did you try a Linux live CD?