PDA

View Full Version : The Siempre Verde Story ---how to MISmanage a horse

the_fat_man
06-21-2007, 09:35 PM
I was looking at tomorrow's entries at BEL and I almost fell off my chair when I saw that Siempre Verde was entered WITHOUT the REFRIGERATOR/ANCHOR.

That's right Gomez UP, Samyn OFF.

Gomez is presently in a bit of a funk but he'd had to take it down about 100 more levels to even begin to approximate what Samyn does to a horse when he gets a leg up.

Let me just briefly describe a TYPICAL SAMYN ride on the turf:

NEEDLESSLY WIDE, especially on the turn

UNABLE to keep the horse straight in the stretch or put it in a drive

GUARANTEED to STEADY at the slightest hint that a horse 4 paths to his inside might move out a path or so late

GUARANTEED to be WIDEST in the lane

So, poor Siempre Verde, under the astute handling of Joe Aquillino ---DUH--, had to endure 2 trips with the REFRIGERATOR up. And he wheels her right back, with a jock. Think 7F might not be her best distance, Joe? Think you might be asking a bit too much with a 5th race since 4/25, which was her 1st time out this year?

Then again, if you'd had a jock up on her, she might've already broken her maiden.

This is a joke. Bordering on abuse. This filly tries every time out and really deserves better.

DanG
06-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Siempre Verde was entered WITHOUT the REFRIGERATOR/ANCHOR.

Samyn OFF.

You’re too much Fats,

Agreed, Joe Aquillino might be a great guy, but he is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

My guess is your neighbors could tell some great stories of shrieks while 8/1 shots are getting blocked down the lane. :jump:

Samyn is only 50, but I could swear he’s been riding for 3 centuries. :eek:

How does one say refrigerator in French? :confused:

cnollfan
06-21-2007, 11:30 PM
frigo -- informal French for fridge.

Ironic that some of us think Gomez assumed the role of frigo in the Belmont. But compared to Jean-Luc, he's just a coozy.

Ron
06-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Looks like you were wrong.

toetoe
06-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Rev. Fats,

You are preaching to the choir. AMEN !!

cnollfan
06-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Mr. Fat,

Excellent information and analysis on Siempre Verde.

bigmack
06-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Looks like you were wrong.
Yet another piece of garbage post from your world.

Gather the gumption to post something without it smacking with the stench of schadenfreude. You might then find yourself with nads at least comparable with that of an average park squirrel.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/58.gif

john del riccio
06-22-2007, 08:06 PM

Gather the gumption to post something without it smacking with the stench of schadenfreude. You might then find yourself with nads at least comparable with that of an average park squirrel.

Mack,

I literally fell out of the chair. THANK YOU for making my laugh so hard that I couldn't catch my breath !

John

jotb
06-22-2007, 09:11 PM
I was looking at tomorrow's entries at BEL and I almost fell off my chair when I saw that Siempre Verde was entered WITHOUT the REFRIGERATOR/ANCHOR.

That's right Gomez UP, Samyn OFF.

Gomez is presently in a bit of a funk but he'd had to take it down about 100 more levels to even begin to approximate what Samyn does to a horse when he gets a leg up.

Let me just briefly describe a TYPICAL SAMYN ride on the turf:

NEEDLESSLY WIDE, especially on the turn

UNABLE to keep the horse straight in the stretch or put it in a drive

GUARANTEED to STEADY at the slightest hint that a horse 4 paths to his inside might move out a path or so late

GUARANTEED to be WIDEST in the lane

So, poor Siempre Verde, under the astute handling of Joe Aquillino ---DUH--, had to endure 2 trips with the REFRIGERATOR up. And he wheels her right back, with a jock. Think 7F might not be her best distance, Joe? Think you might be asking a bit too much with a 5th race since 4/25, which was her 1st time out this year?

Then again, if you'd had a jock up on her, she might've already broken her maiden.

This is a joke. Bordering on abuse. This filly tries every time out and really deserves better.

Hello Fats:

Wow you are way off on this one! Joe never took him off the horse. Samyn spun him to ride for Pat Kelly for 2 reasons. The horse for Pat Kelly looks better on paper and the other reason which is the main reason is Samyn rides most of Pat Kelly's stock. By the way, Gomez rode this filly first out last year and broke slow checking hard at the start. Don't be so hard on Joe for wheeling this filly back again. Most of the time it's the owners that want to run. She has picked up a check in every race since she's been back from the layoff. Filly was off for 5 months and the owners are into this filly big time. They will continue to run her until she can't.

Joe

the_fat_man
06-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Hello Fats:

Wow you are way off on this one! Joe never took him off the horse. Samyn spun him to ride for Pat Kelly for 2 reasons. The horse for Pat Kelly looks better on paper and the other reason which is the main reason is Samyn rides most of Pat Kelly's stock. By the way, Gomez rode this filly first out last year and broke slow checking hard at the start. Don't be so hard on Joe for wheeling this filly back again. Most of the time it's the owners that want to run. She has picked up a check in every race since she's been back from the layoff. Filly was off for 5 months and the owners are into this filly big time. They will continue to run her until she can't.

Joe

You really need to stop focusing on what I do, Bro.

Whether Samyn took off or not, is not really the issue, FOR ME. That he DIDN'T ride, is the issue. And, getting almost 9:1 on this horse with Gomez, when you got 3:1 with Samyn last time out, is JUST ABOUT THE STEAL OF THE YEAR.

The added furlong didn't hurt but it was nice to see the horse RATED ON THE RAIL, and taken out when it counted. When horses are given thoughtful rides, they typically put forth less effort. What a novel approach in a field dominated by BRUTES. What a welcome break for this filly.

As for Aquilino. Given your comments, he probably would've been happy riding Samyn back and would've gotten SKUNKED again.

Now, who's CLUELESS?

Anything else?

jotb
06-22-2007, 09:47 PM
You really need to stop focusing on what I do, Bro.

Whether Samyn took off or not, is not really the issue, FOR ME. That he DIDN'T ride, is the issue. And, getting almost 9:1 on this horse with Gomez, when you got 3:1 with Samyn last time out, is JUST ABOUT THE STEAL OF THE YEAR.

The added furlong didn't hurt but it was nice to see the horse RATED ON THE RAIL, and taken out when it counted. When horses are given thoughtful rides, they typically put forth less effort. What a novel approach in a field dominated by BRUTES. What a welcome break for this filly.

As for Aquilino. Given your comments, he probably would've been happy riding Samyn back and would've gotten SKUNKED again.

Now, who's CLUELESS?

Anything else?

Hey Fat:

If you did wager on this horse and that's the way generally handicap a race going in, I'm sure you are red in this game. You wagered on a horse or like you said it was the "steal of the year" where you knocked the trainer because of the distance the filly was in for and knocked him for wheeling her back for the 5th time since returning from the shelf and then felt the filly was bordering on abuse. On top of it you thought Joe reached out for Gomez instead of Samyn. I have to admit you do have balls to say I'm clueless but it looks to me you are the one that is clueless if you invest in a race where you seemed to be negative about everything going in. By the way, don't worry about me focusing in on what you do. I could really care less what you do. I promise you that I will put you on the pay no mind list in the future and don't even waste your time to reply back.

toetoe
06-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Your Corpulence,

Similar angle with Renown in today's 4th at Belmont --- Samyn off, :jump: Now, the horse is no great shakes, and always overbet, but KDez got a good second-place effort from him.
I love nobody jockeys for the prices they bring ... SOMETIMES ... but Samyn is almost ALWAYS a no-bet. I will pretty much never bet him. Oh no, you betcha. :ThmbDown:

Ron
06-22-2007, 10:04 PM

Is that all you got?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=352337&highlight=squirrel#post352337

the_fat_man
06-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Your Corpulence,

Similar angle with Renown in today's 4th at Belmont --- Samyn off, :jump: Now, the horse is no great shakes, and always overbet, but KDez got a good second-place effort from him.
I love nobody jockeys for the prices they bring ... SOMETIMES ... but Samyn is almost ALWAYS a no-bet. I will pretty much never bet him. Oh no, you betcha. :ThmbDown:

That horse was interesting. And Kent, with all the criticism he endures, is actually a very fine jock in my opinion. That horse circled the field and didn't change leads (was struggling to change the length of the stretch); not for lack of trying by KD who was whipping left and right, doing all he could to get it to change leads. If the horse changes, it wins but I get the sense that it's a hanger.

cnollfan
06-23-2007, 07:44 AM
I don't get this thread. What I understood from The Fat Man's initial post was that Samyn had been giving Siempre Verde poor rides, as is often the case with Samyn. The horse was switching to Garrett Gomez, who, regardless of any beef I might have with his Belmont ride, is light-years better than Samyn. The Fat Man said Siempre Verde has been trying hard. So I bet her. She won. 8-1. High fives all around. Except that half the posters are using this as an opportunity to bash The Fat Man. All I can say is thanks for the winner, Mr. Fat, and keep them coming!

p.s. The last race winner was also Samyn off.

cj
06-23-2007, 08:15 AM
I read the post again. I don't see at all where the fat man was advocating betting this horse.

. And he wheels her right back, with a jock. Think 7F might not be her best distance, Joe? Think you might be asking a bit too much with a 5th race since 4/25, which was her 1st time out this year?

cnollfan
06-23-2007, 12:42 PM
I read the post again. I don't see at all where the fat man was advocating betting this horse.

Fortunately, I didn't pay much attention to the fine print.

toetoe
06-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Speaking of jock dissatisfaction, AGar on my lock-o-the-day, Mahudood or some such, looked like he was driving in a qualifier. Then, past the wire, he looked over at Gomez, who had just whipped him with an inferior horse, and SMILED !! :bang: I only scrutinized the race cuz I was alive to a pick-three for $155. :(