PDA

View Full Version : Gomez and Trippi's Storm

the_fat_man
06-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Had nothing invested in this race, though I was interested as to how this horse would progress. Gomez (substituting for regular rider Castellano) decides to take him to the lead, on an off turf, sets slow fractions and gets beat 1/2 length, while beating the shit out of the horse in the stretch. This shows me that the horse had a little bit of run in him.

And also makes me wonder why a ONE RUN, off the pace horse is taken to the lead. Why?

I realize the pace was slow but why is this horse asked to do something it hasn't in its last 4 or 5 races? Why ask it to do something that goes against what has been successful for it in the past?

And the fact that TS showed a ton of heart in the stretch (I realize the pace was slow) indicates that he probably wins with his typical off the pace ride.

Greyfox
06-20-2007, 02:30 PM
It has to be one of the most frustrating moments in horse racing when a jockey suddenly takes a presser, stalker type to the front. Hasn't he studied the form to get an idea of preferred running style? When that happens to my selections I just groan, because you know that there's a good chance that it will not be around for the win, if at all.
I can understand that happening occasionally in sprints, when the presser is sent from the rail position. But otherwise, I find the attempt to change style most infuriating, particularly on turf routes.

cj
06-20-2007, 02:34 PM
If he takes back and gets beat because of the slow pace, the other 50% of players give the guy a hard time. It is a no win situation.

the_fat_man
06-20-2007, 02:36 PM
If he takes back like the winner?

He lost by 1/2 length; give the horse a chance to run its race.

Robert Fischer
06-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Gomez has been a real knuckle-head lately.

Trippis Storm has a nice last fraction kick. Maybe Gomez got bitched at for misjudging the Foster and over-reacted. The funny thing is that you would think Trippi's Storm would suit Gomez's off the pace style, and he tried to be slick.
I haven't checked out the replay yet, but from the looks of the chart it looks like he hustled the horse out in an effort to slow down the pace and rate on the lead...

way to carry this horse's nice form forward Go Go:ThmbDown:

GaryG
06-20-2007, 02:59 PM
I am confident he could have outkicked Silver Tree if he had been rated in 2nd. Thanks Garrett.....outridden by Desormeaux.

Tom
06-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Maybe the trainer told him to do that. He probably came here and read all aobut slow pace in the Belmont and the one run hroses having on edge late in that scenario. :p

john del riccio
06-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Gomez has been a real knuckle-head lately.

Trippis Storm has a nice last fraction kick. Maybe Gomez got bitched at for misjudging the Foster and over-reacted. The funny thing is that you would think Trippi's Storm would suit Gomez's off the pace style, and he tried to be slick.
I haven't checked out the replay yet, but from the looks of the chart it looks like he hustled the horse out in an effort to slow down the pace and rate on the lead...

way to carry this horse's nice form forward Go Go:ThmbDown:

I'm still grumbling out he got Magna Graduate beat in the Foster.... I had the exacta so I made out OK but I would have done much better had Magna won the photo. The pace wasn't so fast that he needed to be so far back early, and then to go as wide as he did was really a kick in the butt. Gomez isn't at the top of his game as he was a few years ago on BC day, that is for sure.

John

Ron
06-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Maybe he subconsiously wanted Trippi's Storm to lose. :lol:

the_fat_man
06-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm still grumbling out he got Magna Graduate beat in the Foster.... The pace wasn't so fast that he needed to be so far back early, and then to go as wide as he did was really a kick in the butt. Gomez isn't at the top of his game as he was a few years ago on BC day, that is for sure.

John

I've only seen the race once, and haven't viewed the headon but the race clearly shows how overrated MG is (by some). He last moves the field and can't run down a horse that made a sudden premature turn move and, can't distance himself from a horse making its 5th lifetime start. Can you imagine what happens if Diamond Stripes sat the same trip and actually was able to focus on running straight for more than 2 seconds at a time? This is the quintessential DOOFUS horse: long, goofy, prone to lapses of concentration BUT huge on potential.

This was TERRIBLE performance by MG. Next time out DS buries him.

Robert Fischer
06-20-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't think Magna is a world beater, but on paper the pace kind of set up for him there. Worth noting that was one of those "pace quality" races, where there is a worthless pace duel going on between Umphry and Wanderin Boy, but the real pace is the second flight where some actual win contenders run and the stalker/closers are mostly worried about that second flight.
Watching the race briefly, it is debateable that Gomez may have misjudged Flashy Bull, -and how far he would carry that premature move - and Gomez may have had no sense of urgency although he had plenty of animal for the last quarter.

Diamond Stripes also came home well in that race. Prado: "He tried very hard," said Edgar Prado, who piloted Diamond Stripes. "He was right next to the winner all the way, but I think he is still a little immature. He's still a little green and it took him a couple more jumps to get it going toward the end. I don't think they are going to beat him in the future."

Flashy Bull could be a must use or a bet-against depending on what path his connections lead him...

BIG49010
06-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Trippi was very keyed up in post parade, and started to wash out on his shoulder.

Gomez tried to hold him back and horse just took off, he tried to get him to settle on lead, and it just didn't work out.

Mott's stats on drop downs from Stake races are 40% win, and that's what happened.

Wickel
06-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Gomez is definitely NOT at the top of his game right now. Funny how many are upset that he went to the lead on Trippi's Storm, because my peeve has been how ridiculously far back he's been laying with his mounts. The worst cases in recent memory were Magna Graduate and Asi Siempre. Six to 10 lengths off the pace is fine, but 15 to 20 is asking for big trouble.

john del riccio
06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Gomez is definitely NOT at the top of his game right now. Funny how many are upset that he went to the lead on Trippi's Storm, because my peeve has been how ridiculously far back he's been laying with his mounts. The worst cases in recent memory were Magna Graduate and Asi Siempre. Six to 10 lengths off the pace is fine, but 15 to 20 is asking for big trouble.

...you had to remind me about MG...

What floored me in the Foster more than anything was the betting action. MG opened up at 8-1 !! I bet again (I had bet prior to seeing the horses in case Ai got sidetracked). When he was still 6-1 when they had that shoeing problem in the paddock, I absolutely wondered if he looked like hell on the track. When I finally got a lok at him, he looked sharp to me. There is no way he should have been that far back early, it left him with way to much to do and on top of that Gomez save no ground on the far turn, go figure.

John

jotb
06-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Had nothing invested in this race, though I was interested as to how this horse would progress. Gomez (substituting for regular rider Castellano) decides to take him to the lead, on an off turf, sets slow fractions and gets beat 1/2 length, while beating the shit out of the horse in the stretch. This shows me that the horse had a little bit of run in him.

And also makes me wonder why a ONE RUN, off the pace horse is taken to the lead. Why?

I realize the pace was slow but why is this horse asked to do something it hasn't in its last 4 or 5 races? Why ask it to do something that goes against what has been successful for it in the past?

And the fact that TS showed a ton of heart in the stretch (I realize the pace was slow) indicates that he probably wins with his typical off the pace ride.

Hello Fat:

Man you guys are tough on jocks. Why do many people assume that a jock is riding his own race? Let's not forget that trainers and owners will instruct a jock prior to a race. Anyway, this horse should have been up close early due to the fractions considering he was coming out of races where the times were quicker at the 3rd and stretch call and he was actually only a few lengths behind at those points of call. On top of all this the rest of the horses in that race yesterday were all off the pace types. Somebody had to be on the lead and don't forget when he was sprinting on the dirt he ran some races where he was up close early on. Ever think the horse is a versatile type.

Joe

Robert Fischer
06-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Silver Tree broke on top.

looked like either Gomez was slow to anticipate that Desormeaux would slow the pace going into turn 1 and he misjudged it and then had to go in front ...

or he was a wiseguy and decided to move around Silver Tree as soon as Kent D slowed the pace.

either way once he made a that small move going to the front on the first turn, he didn't really act like he wanted to be there. He opened up a tiny bit initially, but then slowed it down.

He really gained no positional advantage from all of that , was maybe a length in front at the 4f and 6f calls.

May as well have dictated the race if he was going to try to dictate the race. Either that or rate in the group of horses and run to form.

As it happened he wasted a few lengths on turn one of a 10f race to be a length in front and go from Hunter to Hunted.

the_fat_man
07-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Residual effects of BAD HABITS.

So Trippi is pulling on the reins going into the 1st turn and is TOO CLOSE to the pace. Loses by a length at 11:1 in a DEAD GAME effort.