PDA

View Full Version : Offsite Backup

bigmack
06-18-2007, 01:27 AM
A friend had their computer stolen and lost everything. The loss of the system was far from the loss of her data. If you don't already - backup your files offsite. This is a good site that offers unlimited amounts to be stored, will do it automatically once you have new data on your system and costs a mere $49/year.

http://carbonite.com/

dutchboy
06-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Not that it matters but I was amused when I opened this message to see the four sponsored links shown at the top of the page to all be for 4 different back up programs or websites.

Reminds me of the folks that load spy/adware at the same time they are doing you a huge favor by scanning you pc for free. Of course when the scan is done it shows problems that can be solved by buying their program.

DanG
06-19-2007, 08:52 AM
A friend had their computer stolen and lost everything. The loss of the system was far from the loss of her data. If you don't already - backup your files offsite. This is a good site that offers unlimited amounts to be stored, will do it automatically once you have new data on your system and costs a mere $49/year.

http://carbonite.com/
Good advice Mack, :ThmbUp:

As anyone who lives in Florida knows (The lightning capital of the country) backing up data is MANDATORY!!!

If you haven’t lost data yet, it’s only a matter of time. After my first incident I now have a separate hard drive, save to disc and a friend in NJ keeps files for me in his massive system.

BTW: To any Florida residents as we head into our rainy / lightning season…If you think your “surge protector” will save you when the storm is directly overhead, think again. Unplug completely until it passes. With a direct charge through the line your surge protector will become a Christmas ornament for the Adam’s Family. :eek:

dutchboy
06-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Consider a surge protector for your phone line. A lot of pc''s are ruined by surges on your phone line. When computers are unplugged during a lightning storm few people unplug the phone line to the modem.

the_fat_man
06-19-2007, 07:17 PM
To each his own.

I don't back up my data (although, being FAT, I'm BACKED UP alot:lol: ) and I certainly wouldn't pay to back up. Then again, in a country of LARDOS, (being) backed up is IN.

If I can't protect my data, or have the ability to retrieve it from my harddrive should a virus render my system UNBOOTABLE, then I really shouldn't be using a computer.

And, if I can't secure my living quarters and my PC gets stolen, those are the breaks.

My ass is big but my head is not quite that deep up it.