PDA

View Full Version : Master Magician Help

StlllAlive
12-09-2002, 07:04 PM
I started off in the deep end of the pool. The Master Magician is my first software program and after months of learning and partial understanding my results are improving slightly but not what I'd hoped for. I've got a lot of time and energy invested into TMM and I was hoping to improve my position by purchasing the ValueTech package. Will anyone that attended the seminar and witnessed how ValueTech works please comment on it.

Also, if your a TMM user and are having success please respond with any tips.

Thanks,
SA

Bob Harris
12-09-2002, 08:51 PM
SA,

Feel free to e-mail me with situational questions and I'll do my best to lend a hand.

Bob

rbtmharris@hotmail.com

Lefty
12-09-2002, 09:00 PM
Well, the guys that went to seminar have had the ValuTech module awhile now. Botton line: Is it helping you to win?
It's been terribly quiet on that front when we had so much enthusiasm here before the seminar. Not a criticism but seeking knowledge.

cato
12-10-2002, 10:28 AM
Lefty and others: I think the upgrade to TMM is excellent work. It helps me analyze the races and make better bets. For me, especially, it is helpful in the discipline to pass races.

I did a quick run-through of CRC and PHA yesterday and here are the results using the VTR approach.

At PHA, VTR indicated there were three races with one VTR Horse (4th-#3; 8th-#3 and the 10th-#10). The 8th race was a winner at $8.80, so there was a good profit for the day ($6 bet and $8.80 won). For what its worth, TMM also had almost every exacta and several trifectas in the top 3 or 4 ranked horses. Having said all that, yesterday was a day for chalk, so it is likely that most programs had similar results.

AT CRC, there were 6 races with a single VTR horse-- (1st-#3; 2nd-#2; 4th-#3; 6th -#5; 7th #2; and 9th-#7).
Three won, paying a total of $16.00. So $12 bet and $16 won for a 25% profit. ALso TMM had many exactas and a couple of trifectas.

BUT, again it was a chalk day and so not all that great a day to get into the pros and cons of TMM and VTR. It is likely that I would have passed a couple of the winners and losers due to low odds if I had realy been playing the races.

I'll run some more tracks and report back in a few days.

(For any TMM handicappers who are following along, I deleted all Turf races from consideration on dirt races)

All the best, Cato

Old Timer
12-10-2002, 02:13 PM
Isn't $4 gain on $12 wagered a profit of 33.3%?

Old Timer

cato
12-10-2002, 11:10 PM
yup

Lefty
12-11-2002, 12:50 PM
Cato, someone gave me the earlier prgm Handicapping Magic, I blve. If you do Haw i'd like to compare notes of what you come up with vs what I come up with using the older prgm.

cato
12-11-2002, 11:04 PM
Lefty: SUre, I'd love to help. I like HAW. If you want to send me an e-mail, you can do so at fpolk@hotmail.com

Here's what I came up with at HAW (handicapping after the races went off--that !@#$%!! job keeps getting in the way)

The only good looking bets today at HAW were

3rd race #7 Moe Dickstein. Lone early, #1 PBS, #2 PPF
1 of 2 VTR horses. Won paid $7.60

7th race #6 Shadey Mike, Had big numbers over all of the other horses on PBS and PPF, plus was the fulcrum and a lone early. PLus the sole VTR . Even I could have bet this horse ! It won and paid $10.40

8th race. Had so many overlays I would have probably not been able to resist betting a bunch of exotic combinations and would have lost then all..

9th race. After making some call some pretty obvious calls on pace lines, the #1 horse is ranked #1 in PBS and PPF and one of three VTR horses. It won and paid $15.

Overall TMM seemed prety clear at HAW today. My main problem with TMM is that I make good bets AND I'll have some long runouts going for some longer priced horses. It seemed like there weren't too many alluring 30-1 sirens out there today.

Send me an e-mail--I'd like to compare notes.

Take care, Cato

sparky
12-12-2002, 12:00 PM
Hi StillAlive,
I, too, jumped off the deep end with Handicapping Magic. It was my first venture into handicapping software. I'm not an engineer and I don't write my own software (heck, I have a master's degree in English literature!), but I kept trainer stats and used BRIS's maiden stats for years to bet maidens. Then I consulted with the Paceadvantage handicappers online, and the most convincing advice some of them gave me as we "shopped" for software together was to try Pizzolla's Handicapping Magic.

I studied the book first, of course, then sprung for the software. My return has jumped exponentially. I find the LASST mode most useful, though the Two Excuses mode finds good longshots. I think the most useful part of the program is the Pace Analysis. I now look for the Heavy Pressure races, because I can win some good ones with the closers. I've upgraded to The Master Magician.

Lately, the software picks and my own have disagreed radically, but I believe the disparity is due to my own bumbling handicapping. Two people who really helped me with HM are Bob Harris and Matt Russell. You might contact them or look up their previous posts.

Good luck to you!
sparky