PDA

View Full Version : HRTV

ffwfed31
06-15-2007, 12:45 PM
I am surprised with how much money they are putting into that station and the way they are trying to take over that TVG is still kicking thier butt. Also with all the money they are pouring in you think they could get a better spot to have their shows at Santa Anita than some run down bar.

GaryG
06-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Larry....is that you old pal?

ffwfed31
06-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Larry....is that you old pal?

I don't get it.

ranchwest
06-15-2007, 01:12 PM
I am surprised with how much money they are putting into that station and the way they are trying to take over that TVG is still kicking thier butt. Also with all the money they are pouring in you think they could get a better spot to have their shows at Santa Anita than some run down bar.

So THIS is your first post?

ffwfed31
06-15-2007, 01:31 PM
So THIS is your first post?

Yeah. I don't know if you have noticed it, but under each persons name it says how many posts they have posted.

Tom
06-15-2007, 01:45 PM
No, it's his second. See the 2? :lol:

Make that 3.

GaryG
06-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Yeah. I don't know if you have noticed it, but under each persons name it says how many posts they have posted.You see, that is a VERY strange post, the type of post that indicates an agenda.

ranchwest
06-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah. I don't know if you have noticed it, but under each persons name it says how many posts they have posted.

I understand counting.

I just don't understand why someone goes to a horse racing board so that their first post can be about HRTV.

ffwfed31
06-15-2007, 02:27 PM
I understand counting.

I just don't understand why someone goes to a horse racing board so that their first post can be about HRTV.

I came to this board b/c they kicked me off the Del Mar board.

ranchwest
06-15-2007, 02:56 PM
I came to this board b/c they kicked me off the Del Mar board.

Well, at least you're up front about that.

Tom
06-15-2007, 03:01 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

ffwfed31
06-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Hey the Del Mar board is like a Communist Country, if you discent they execute you.

GaryG
06-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Hey the Del Mar board is like a Communist Country, if you discent they execute you.Communists are executed here too...:jump:

Ivan
06-15-2007, 05:36 PM

That Bar is not "Run Down"

Have you been there?

JustRalph
06-15-2007, 08:48 PM
:lol:

toddtontv
06-15-2007, 09:45 PM
:) Larry....is that you old pal?

Nope don't know this guy, but his statement about the Del mar Forum was.........Well "that right there is funny":)

andicap
06-16-2007, 07:46 PM

Some people who come on board here introduce themselves in a small way, especially someone who comes on throwing bombs. No one is out to attack you, but when your very first post is so aggressive, well, I'll just say people get a tad suspicious because they've seen so much of it here before. And you can't blame them. They assume you have an agenda even if you don't.

Bomb throwers don't go over well here, but contrarian viewpoints are welcomed.

And for the record I love HRTV, and wish I were watching and betting the races in some "run down" bar somewhere right now. You got something against Charles Bukowski?

socantra
06-17-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm really looking forward to getting HRTV. I've had Dish Network for years, but am just now upgrading to the newer dish required to get their other satellite. I figure it can't be much more maddening than TVG.

GaryG
06-17-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm really looking forward to getting HRTV. I've had Dish Network for years, but am just now upgrading to the newer dish required to get their other satellite. I figure it can't be much more maddening than TVG.You will like it. They actually have some excellent hosts. Jeff Siegel has been a big time player as well as newspaper handicapper and syndicate owner. Jon White was the trackman and chartcaller for the DRF for decades. No pick 4s to push and no screaming yayhoos.

richrosa
06-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Bomb throwers don't go over well here, but contrarian viewpoints are welcomed.

uh? Have you ever read the "Off-Topic" forum. If you don't hate Republicans, the military, and capitalism, they flame you to pieces. Contrarian viewpoints give way to bomb throwers there.

PaceAdvantage
06-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Why bring up off-topic? Andy was obviously referring to the horse racing related sections of the board....

andicap
06-18-2007, 12:10 AM
What's off-topic?

I don't believe I'm familar with that section.

Turfday
06-18-2007, 11:12 AM
The HRTV handicappers do a great job, but pardon me if I think Jeff Siegel is the best.

He offers tremendous insights from his passionate interest and career in the racing game as a successful owner and handicapper.

He and I bought, sold, syndicated, partnered and owned many thoroughbreds in years past, including the the once very popular (deceased) California sire Native Prospector.

The late, great Eddie Gregson (who won the Kentucky Derby with Gato del Sol), Gary Jones (current trainer Marty Jone's retired dad), Bobby Frankel and Richard Matlow were our trainers and all of them got us into the winner's circle.

GaryG
06-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Good post Bob....I will never forget cashing a nice bet on Martial Law in the Big Cap. That one was for Clover as I remember.

gIracing
06-18-2007, 10:51 PM
i work out the house.. so I watch more horse racing TV than most people.

On Mondays and Tuesdays, mainly because Calder is running and there are not "big tracks" going, i watch TVG durning the day. It's like a 7 hour long radio program, becuase they do little to no handicapping, they just talk about stuff going on the horse racing world, like the event today.

Wedneday - Sunday HRTV.

If there is a BIG race at hollywood or belmont I will flip and flip right back.

The host are more personable, they don't shove Pick 3's, 4's and 6's down your thoat, they don't spend half the time talking about how lucky you are to be watching TVG.. They don't keep making me think i'm attracted to christina oliveras when I'm not. they just show horse racing, tell you what they think, if you like it, great, if not, fine. Then they show the race.

On Friday nights, I catch TVG for Friday Night Racing at hollywood. I admit I'm a fan

If Japanese racing is going on, I will catch that on a saturday.

ffwfed31
06-19-2007, 08:02 PM
The host are more personable, they don't shove Pick 3's, 4's and 6's down your thoat, they don't spend half the time talking about how lucky you are to be watching TVG.. They don't keep making me think i'm attracted to christina oliveras when I'm not. they just show horse racing, tell you what they think, if you like it, great, if not, fine. Then they show the race.
QUOTE]

What is wrong w/ shoving pick 3's, 4's and 6's down your throat, those are bets that you can make on the races.
When my 2 year old baby has trouble sleeping I turn it to HRTV to help him fall asleep, then I turn it back to TVG.

gIracing
06-19-2007, 09:58 PM
at the rate they hit them, you are better off sticking with straight bets. Spending 50 dollars on a pick 4, getting paid 300 bucks back and only winning one a week if that.. that's the quick way to the broke house

no, the problem I have is this. I don't mind knowing your opinions... but I swear, I promise there are more races going on than the hollywood pick 6. I know there is. They take away commentary from one thing, to give it to another, just becuase they deem it more important, and we aren't talkin grade 1's or antyhing.

wiat until tomorrow.. you are going to say off the wal coverage of this damn pick 6, that everyone wll hit and pay 2k, when you have good racing going on overseas, here that eole like you and I bet on everyday

that's why I like HRTV. Even the Stephen Foster, which is one of the more important races in the country, they gave it it's due tiem, but didn't kill the issue, and didn't forget about every other race in the country.

I don't need to be entertained by commentators..that's what the races are for. Am I in the minority of people who like horse racing as a sport, and not just a way to make money? I fyou have a good angle, great. tell me. if you have a nugget of info, wonderful, spill it.

as I am talking now, TVG has a commercial going on for the pick 6.. back to back actually

back to the point.. what's even worse, they spend so much time on the stuff, they usually don't even have solid opinions!

I noramly don't listen to anyone when it comes to handicapping, but the day after the SA handicap, jon white felt so damn strong about his pick 6 ticket and had valid points on every horse he picked.. you can tell hei did his homework. and i bet the ticket.. and so did everyone else becuse I might have cleared 800 bucks when it was all said and done.

going all in in one leg because you are two lazy to do some real handciapping, then singling in the last leg because you are "out of money", and "trying to get a price home", which might be the stupidest statement known to handicapping. if I don't like a horse, he isn't going in my pick 6, I don't care how much of a price it is. If I get to a race or more than one that I have no clue on at ALL, I don't need to be playing hte pick 6.. it's not the pick 5 and take a stab in the dark

joeyreb
06-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Please Jon White has the personality of a wooden Indian.

He, Laffit Pincay III, and Sean McCarthy are unwatchable.

Anytime Laffitt Pincay III's fake FM DJ voice is heard on my TV, the mute button is hit on my remote.

Peter Lurie, Jeff Siegel, Kurt Hoover, the women and even the over top Arron Vercruysse are good.

HRTV production level is barely above Cable Access.... The Cable Access Production Studio that I produced Christian Music Show in the 90's had better CG's.

Again their still broadcasting live from Santa Anita even though Live Racing ended their on April 22nd.?? sitting there live from Santa Anita really helps the player wagering on Churchill, Lone Star, Woodbine, or Colonial...

Myself, I like TVG's promoting the Pick 6 and Pick 4... I like hearing them breaking down the races, hear the paddock reports and interviews... which you only get on HRTV during the Santa Anita Meet.

Wickel
06-20-2007, 12:31 AM
Ditto on Turfday's post. Jeff Siegel is excellent--well-versed and extremely knowledgable. HRTV would be wise to use Caton Bredar at Churchill. She's knows her horse racing and is a decent handicapper to boot. I agree with the Pincay and McCarthy comments on the board. McCarthy gets so confused, he's hilarious. Reminds me of County Agent Hank Kimball on Green Acres. And, just recently, I started calling Pincay Kasey Kasum around the racebook.

Greyfox
06-20-2007, 12:32 AM
The HRTV handicappers do a great job, but pardon me if I think Jeff Siegel is the best.

He offers tremendous insights from his passionate interest and career in the racing game as a successful owner and handicapper.

Don't break your arm patting Jeff on the back. You and him offer the same
handicapping service offering your picks and his. Yeah, I know that your an inner here. But spam is spam. You said it then, you guys are the best.:lol:

PaceAdvantage
06-20-2007, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I know that your an inner here.

Really? That's news to me...I remember butting heads with Turfday more than a few times and taking down a couple of posts. Hardly the stuff of "inners" if you ask me....

socantra
06-20-2007, 04:46 AM

Well, it does sound marginally better than TVG. I would much prefer straight simulcast feeds, but unfortunately that is no longer possible in the US.

On Air personalities are an infestation. I watch racing coverage to see the horses, not to listen to bozo's tell me what they think about the races or the bets they are going to make. I gave up FM radio because of on air perdonalities. Recently, satellite radio has become just as bad. Its the music folks. Its the horse racing. Maybe what the tracks need to increase live attendance is a bunch of bozos running around the track to entertain the crowd.

ranchwest
06-20-2007, 08:04 AM
:lol: I get this image of a clown peering over someone's PPs.

socantra
06-20-2007, 08:20 AM
:lol: I get this image of a clown peering over someone's PPs.

I'd say that's a pretty good description of TVG's on air personalities.

PaceAdvantage
06-21-2007, 01:51 AM
I'd say that's a pretty good description of TVG's on air personalities.

Jeez man....ya'll are laying it on a little thick regarding TVG. I watch it almost every single day, and there's no way they deserve the gang-banging they've gotten here recently....

It doesn't matter who they put on the screen or how they fill the time...everyone's a critic, and nothing is going to satisfy everyone's tastes.

socantra
06-21-2007, 10:12 AM
It doesn't matter who they put on the screen or how they fill the time...everyone's a critic, and nothing is going to satisfy everyone's tastes.

You're right, It doesn't matter who they put on. The people at TVG seem to be as pleasant a gtoup of bozo's as you would find anywhere. I have not said anything bad about any single individual.

The point is, they are unneccesary and extraneous. Does it seem unreasonable to assume that most of their audience are racing fans and are there to watch racing? Why not show racing, post parades, saddling in the paddock and all the other things that go with horse racing, rather than endless banter from people who suddenly think they are entertainers.

Obviously, they can't show everything on one channel, but they could show much, much more than they are showing now. While you are watching nearly every day, try counting the number of minutes each hour devoted to acrual events at the racetrack as opposed to snappy patter from people sitting in the studio.

Tom
06-21-2007, 11:10 AM
I can put up with "snappy pratter" but Matt C. is just absoluting too annyoing to listen to for even a half a minute. He comes on, I go to HRTV and my betting dollars go what they are showing. MC is just unfit for public.

BadaBing
06-21-2007, 12:20 PM
What I do not like is how both networks make the west coast their primary focus all the time.If they were operating out of somewhere else besides southern california it might help them improve.They should be home based in Kentucky or New York.

DanG
06-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Please Jon White has the personality of a wooden Indian.

I love Jon White, but I also get a real kick out of Todd Shrup. So maybe media critic is not in my future. :)

GaryG
06-21-2007, 01:38 PM
With Jon, just pay attention to what he has to say. If I want to be entertained I will find a Chevy Chase movie.

richrosa
06-21-2007, 01:46 PM
When TVG and HRTV are gone from the air, I bet we'll all miss them regardless of their personality. In many markets its the only way to get consistent live over the air racing, despite the commentary.

Neither are operating profitably. No one operates at a loss forever.

gonatas
06-21-2007, 03:04 PM
If you ask me (and I know you didin't) HRTV is a little too corporate. Its like an extended handicapping segment from a race track's closed circuit show between races. TVG is simply more entertaining, its more like spending some time at the track with people you might want to hang out with.

TVG isn't always so politically correct either. They will comment when a horse looks like crap in the paddock and at time they will even step up with an interview of a trainer before a race that can be helpful in telling you who you might want to avoid in a coming race.

TVG does play to novices and beginners more, but hard core guys are going to be doing their own handicapping anyway.

GaryG
06-21-2007, 03:16 PM
TVG is simply more entertaining, its more like spending some time at the track with people you might want to hang out with. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

PaceAdvantage
06-22-2007, 02:47 AM
Why not show racing, post parades, saddling in the paddock and all the other things that go with horse racing, rather than endless banter from people who suddenly think they are entertainers.

They do show those things from certain tracks (like Belmont). It's a balancing act, and a certain segment of the audience is going to be disappointed with the coverage at any given point in time.

gIracing
06-22-2007, 03:10 AM
you will see all the post parades you want in about 6 months on TVG

gIracing
06-22-2007, 03:17 AM
say what you want:

Of the two stations, who is the best on air personality?

My vote is LP3.. he cracks me up and is full of personality but at the same time gets his point across and is very professional when need be.

Who is the best handicapper of the two stations?

My gut says Sigel just becuase he's Jeff Siegel, but I think he's a tad bit overrated as a handicapper... I think Jon White is a pretty dman good handicapper.. neither are the best thing since silced bread, but both are heads and sholders over anything they have on TVG. Joanne Jones is a better handicapper (and espically her dad) than anything they have over at TVG

Plus I've actually Seen Jon white win money

I take that back.. whoever that little asian guy is on TVG... god DAMN he's a goo QH handicapper. ithey never him any air time but he rails off prices every other night.

Who has the best selection of tracks?

HRTV.. at least at the end of the year they will.

I do like TVG's extra "addons" however. I actually know nancy ury.. she's from my home town... I love friday night racing and I like getting up in the morning and watching UK racing.. however I can do that now on HRTV on the weekends, and for some reason, the UK racing (Besides ascot) is better on HRTV than TVG.. but than again, HRTV has Aussie racing, which I LOVE.... if TVG had JRA racing 5 nights a week, that might put them over the top in my eyes

Within the next year or so HRTV is going to be making a lot of changes with the graphics, the overall layout of how things work, being just bought by CDI.

however, HRTV has a lower fiscal overhead than TVG.. if they could some how get on DirectTV they would be golden, same for TVG really

BillW
06-22-2007, 03:23 AM
Within the next year or so HRTV is going to be making a lot of changes with the graphics, the overall layout of how things work, being just bought by CDI.

When did CDI buy HRTV :confused:

JimG
06-22-2007, 07:15 AM
however, HRTV has a lower fiscal overhead than TVG.. if they could some how get on DirectTV they would be golden, same for TVG really

TVG has been on Directv for several years now.

gonatas
06-22-2007, 09:33 AM
say what you want:

Who is the best handicapper of the two stations?

At any given time almost any of the analysts could be having a good day. Still I doubt anyone here is going to be following any on air personality blindly.

This said, Frank Lyons on TVG had a couple pf days at Keenland this spring where he was basically sweeping the card, with some prices too.

Lyons is a great on air character, but what makes him valuable is that he is primarily a horseman and is not a great pen and paper sort of handicapper. He is bringing a perspective to races that is going to compliment the way most of the viewers are looking at the races.

TVG is really more of the horsemans' station. They love to dangle as many microphones in front of jocks, trainers, and owners as they can. This can be valuable stuff, even if you need to be able to read between the lines of what is being said sometimes. HRTV just can't compete with that. And if (when?) HRTV wins the battle between the two you will probably see more of what the corporations controlling the tracks want you to see (or think you need to see), and fewer of the horseman and horse owners speaking their minds.

Tom
06-22-2007, 09:58 AM
.... And if (when?) HRTV wins the battle between the two you will probably see more of what the corporations controlling the tracks want you to see (or think you need to see),

:confused::confused::confused:

How is that not what is going on right now?
Neith channel focuses on races, although HRTV probably shows more races and post parade, paddock shots than TVG does.

I have no interest in what either handicappers have to say - I do my own capping.

gonatas
06-22-2007, 10:16 AM
:confused::confused::confused:

How is that not what is going on right now?
Neith channel focuses on races, although HRTV probably shows more races and post parade, paddock shots than TVG does.

I have no interest in what either handicappers have to say - I do my own capping.

Maybe I just have it in for Magna. :) TVG has their company line too, but they do not keep as tight a leash on the on-air stuff. That is because they don't own any tracks. They can take an editorial position closer to what the DRF does and let people express their opinions more freely.

I can see where you might want more racing and more post parades on the screen and less filler, especially if you play a lot of different simulcast tracks. Personally I pretty much concentrate on one track at a time, so when TVG is covering Friday nights at Hollywood, or a full card at Keeneland with comentary and paddock interviews, I don't see how you beat that.

GaryG
06-22-2007, 10:21 AM
I can see where you might want more racing and more post parades on the screen and less filler, especially if you play a lot of different simulcast tracks. Personally I pretty much concentrate on one track at a time, so when TVG is covering Friday nights at Hollywood, or a full card at Keeneland with comentary and paddock interviews, I don't see how you beat that.If you played Monmouth and Calder like I do you would feel differently. Many times I get the result online before they even add it to the crawler at the bottom of the screen. Results are not a priority when there is time for happy talk. Plus that Matt C is the most obnoxious person I have ever seen or met.

samyn on the green
06-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Both of the two racing networks do a great job of bringing the action to millions.

Next time you want to complain place yourself in the shoes of the horseplayer locked away in jail. Or think about the plight of Andrew Lakeman. How about the adversity of suffering in squalor, maybe with the proper perspective listening to 58 flat is not that much a cross to bear is it? Your endless complaints regarding these networks are picayune. Grow up and be a man.

gonatas
06-22-2007, 03:29 PM
If you played Monmouth and Calder like I do you would feel differently. Many times I get the result online before they even add it to the crawler at the bottom of the screen. Results are not a priority when there is time for happy talk. Plus that Matt C is the most obnoxious person I have ever seen or met.

I can sympathize. TVG definitely plays favorites with their featured tracks. I don't mind Matt C. so much on the Blinker's Off thing he does with DRF Watchmaker, but I agree that 58 flat is too over the top.

Tom
06-22-2007, 03:47 PM
:( I was thinking about all those poor horse players locked away in jail,
and then :58 Flat came on, and I thought,

Gee, I wish I was in jail! :lol:

ranchwest
06-22-2007, 05:05 PM
:( I was thinking about all those poor horse players locked away in jail,
and then :58 Flat came on, and I thought,

Gee, I wish I was in jail! :lol:

Do you anticipate that is your destiny? :lol: