PDA

View Full Version : The match race

46zilzal
06-13-2007, 01:20 PM
I have seen three in person and they are very very exciting. They are a breed apart as it is much like an Olympic cycling race: cate and mouse at it's best. The best I witnessed were at Hollywood, as an example, I located this old program.

rgustafson
06-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Well since you called them a breed apart, how about the Black Ruby vs. Taz showdown?:lol:

46zilzal
06-13-2007, 04:51 PM
you mean this one at Del Mar?

rgustafson
06-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Yes, that's the one, but I understand that Sarah Nelson is current champ.

joanied
06-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Black Ruby vs Taz....:lol: love it!!!

As for Match Races in general... there have been some great :jump: ones, yes indeed, but since I was standing on the backstretch:( in July 1975, well, I'm sorry, but for me, Match Races are a thing of the past....
but... we have had some great 'matches' in long stretch duels such as the recent TC races...both the Preakness & Belmont turned into a match race, and how about Easy Goer & Sunday Silence... nothing like a couple of great horses hookin' up down the stretch, eye ball to eye ball, stride for stride.... gives ya goosebumps & tears to the eye!!

rgustafson
06-13-2007, 08:51 PM
I was at one match race personally and it was much more noted for the jockeys than the horses. Bill Shoemaker vs. Julie Krone in "The Duel At The Downs" at Cby in 1988.

chickenhead
06-13-2007, 09:47 PM
was there one at Del Mar in the early 90's (or was that just a two horse race?). I was just a kid, but I vaguely remember it because I bet on it...the longer odds horse won. I think McCarron was on him. Anyone?

And also, did you ever see that movie..with that guy in it, whatshisface...

rrpic6
06-13-2007, 09:57 PM
was there one at Del Mar in the early 90's (or was that just a two horse race?). I was just a kid, but I vaguely remember it because I bet on it...the longer odds horse won. I think McCarron was on him. Anyone?

And also, did you ever see that movie..with that guy in it, whatshisface...

I think it was Gary Stevens vs. Julie Krone. Not sure but Krone went wide, as she often did after her many gruesome spills, and Stevens hugged the rail. Believe he was the "long shot" that day.

witchdoctor
06-13-2007, 10:10 PM
In Tulsa a few years ago they had the QH match race championships. They set up 16 quaterhorses and seeded them 1 thru 16. Then they paired them up like the NCAA BBall championships. First week there were 8 match races going off every 10 minutes. Every 2 weeks, the winners advanced. You coiuld bet each race individually or you could bet the exactas for the finals. Each round had a different exacta pool. I thought it was great. Unfortunately, I was in the minority.

DanG
06-13-2007, 11:01 PM
I think it was Gary Stevens vs. Julie Krone. Not sure but Krone went wide, as she often did after her many gruesome spills, and Stevens hugged the rail. Believe he was the "long shot" that day.
I believe it was P.Val vs. Julie Krone and P.Val was DEAD in that race and beat that animal into submission and rallied for the win.

Chickenhead ~ was there one at Del Mar in the early 90's (or was that just a two horse race?). I was just a kid
PS: Chick…You were a “kid” in the 90’s…Wow, do I feel old tonight! :D

ezrabrooks
06-14-2007, 08:49 AM
The last match race I remember seeing was a TB vs a QT. I just happened to catch the race on the simo at the track I was attending, but can't remember where the race was held, who ran or what the distance was (was around a turn so probably at least 4F). The TB finally put the QT away, but the quarter horse hung on like grim death, and made quite an accounting of himself. Anybody remember this race?

Ez

Marlin
06-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I was at one match race personally and it was much more noted for the jockeys than the horses. Bill Shoemaker vs. Julie Krone in "The Duel At The Downs" at Cby in 1988.
I saw this one as well. Shoe on Dakota Slew, Krone on Thats a Nice (I think) I believe they had finished in a deadheat their previous outing. Krone won if I remember correctly. I was very young.:)

ghostyapper
06-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Not sure if it was the one against pval but krone had a match race in 2003-2004 to decide the meets top jockey.

falconridge
06-14-2007, 01:37 PM
The last match race I remember seeing was a TB vs a QT. I just happened to catch the race on the simo at the track I was attending, but can't remember where the race was held, who ran or what the distance was (was around a turn so probably at least 4F). The TB finally put the QT away, but the quarter horse hung on like grim death, and made quite an accounting of himself. Anybody remember this race?Could that have been Griswold (QH) versus Valiant Pete (TB) at Santa Anita? Griswold, being the first of his breed to traverse 870 yards in under 44 seconds (these and all other quarterhorse races, you'll recall, are timed from a standing start), was--pehaps still is--the world record-holder for the longest distance at which races are commonly contested in the quarterhorse sport. Valiant Pete was always so freakishly quick in the first furlong of any of his races that I'd suspect racing officials more than once checked that speedball's pedigree papers.

My recollection of the race is that Valiant Pete led from start to finish--but at no point by very much. Griswold appeared to be getting to Valiant Pete near the end of their four furlongs, where the thoroughbred prevailed by a head. I think the clocking was something like 44 and 4/5--timed, I assume (though I couldn't swear to it), from a standing start.

Tom
06-14-2007, 02:00 PM
I

1890's ????:eek:

ezrabrooks
06-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Could that have been Griswold (QH) versus Valiant Pete (TB) at Santa Anita? Griswold, being the first of his breed to traverse 870 yards in under 44 seconds (these and all other quarterhorse races, you'll recall, are timed from a standing start), was--pehaps still is--the world record-holder for the longest distance at which races are commonly contested in the quarterhorse sport. Valiant Pete was always so freakishly quick in the first furlong of any of his races that I'd suspect racing officials more than once checked that speedball's pedigree papers.

My recollection of the race is that Valiant Pete led from start to finish--but at no point by very much. Griswold appeared to be getting to Valiant Pete near the end of their four furlongs, where the thoroughbred prevailed by a head. I think the clocking was something like 44 and 4/5--timed, I assume (though I couldn't swear to it), from a standing start.

Thanks bud, I am sure that is the race I remember. I was beginning to doubt that I had really seen this race. I don't remember the exact running, only that it was quite competitive. Thanks again for the details.

Ez

joanied
06-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Interesting to read about so many 'match races'... of all kinds!! Those 44 fractions from a standing start are amazing....the Sire of one of my mare's did 44 and change, but not from a stand still...he was a son of Pia Star, ran in CA, trained by Mel Stute.
I beleive every match with a QH vs a TB has been won by the TB...:ThmbUp:

falconridge
06-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I beleive every match with a QH vs a TB has been won by the TB...:ThmbUp:Not so, joanied. Check some of the posts in the following Paceadvantage thread: http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=233127#post233127.

One notable exception was quarterhorse mare Barbara B.'s win over the swift English-bred Fair Truckle in the late 1940s. Another was Chariwari's trouncing of Indulto (not the genteel fellow whose eloquent contributions always raise the level of discourse on this web site, but a multiple graded stakes-winning gelding that campaigned successfully on both coasts in the late 1960s and early 1970s). Chariwari/Indulto, unfortunately, turned into travesty after Indulto dwelt at the start of the 440-yard match at Hollywood Park. Bobby Adair's biggest challenge that day proved to be winning by less than three lengths--and eased up, at that--on Chariwari. :) :ThmbUp:

joanied
06-15-2007, 05:10 PM
falconridge,

I stand corrected...although I did say I BELIEVED, every one was won by the TB...
I used your link and those posts are great... seems history is littered with Match Races, sure would be cool to be able to see film (video) of some of them. A few I do remember reading about, like Beduino's, but the one that really struck me was with Olympia & Stella Moore...wish I'd known about that one before I retired my broodmares... I spent the last 10 yrs sending my TB mares to QH stallions, raising Appendix registered QH's... I didn't know a darn thing about the Running QH (except for Dash for Cash) and had to do a lot of research when I started my breeding program...I could get long winded here, but I'll pull myself up into a jog.... needless to say, I'd find every bit of info I could within pedigrees, and did find some great stuff...you know, so I could market my foals...well, one of my mares has Olympia in her 3rd generation, and although I was sure able to promote his speed, it would have been really great to add that he won a Match Race agaisnt the super mare, Stella Moore...

Anyway...fun reading all those match race memories, and surprised there are so many members that seem to know QH's...when I first started my QH research I had no clue about all the TB blood...and I was rather 'giddy' at the thought of adding all that info to my web site... the TB blood made the Running QH what it is today....used to drive me nuts hearing some QH person put down the TB when half of the QH 'foundation' Sires are TB...aarrrgghh!!!

Thanks for your post.
:)

toetoe
06-15-2007, 08:25 PM
How about Undercover Willie, an APPALOOSA ( :eek: ), whipping thoroughbred Grey Moon Runner, and with scandalously overweight Michael Landon in the saddle? Okay, maybe the last bit is false. All I know is, Joe Starkey was seen cashing a big bet on 'Willie,' declaiming, "What a bonanza !!"

falconridge
06-15-2007, 08:32 PM
How about Undercover Willie, an APPALOOSA ( :eek: ), whipping thoroughbred Grey Moon Runner, and with scandalously overweight Michael Landon in the saddle? Okay, maybe the last bit is false. All I know is, Joe Starkey was seen cashing a big bet on 'Willie,' declaiming, "What a bonanza !!":D Must've been some hoss! ;)

Dan Montilion
01-17-2008, 04:58 AM
Forgive me for digging up an old thread. Here are some of the match races discussed in this thread plus a bonus or two...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e4F8pDHCErw&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NMEPg0Rqp8I

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JeuMM2HJN44

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8uYaLYOz6k4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZuXcLdqcylY

cj
01-17-2008, 05:23 AM
I believe it was P.Val vs. Julie Krone and P.Val was DEAD in that race and beat that animal into submission and rallied for the win.

It was PVal and Julie. I'm sure those that bet on PVal's horse appreciated the ride. The jockey standings may have been tied or close at the time, but it wasn't for "leading jockey".

DanG
01-17-2008, 08:33 AM
It was PVal and Julie. I'm sure those that bet on PVal's horse appreciated the ride. The jockey standings may have been tied or close at the time, but it wasn't for "leading jockey".
Follow up to that story…

After the race Julie was getting all kinds of smack in the jocks room and P Val grabbed the room’s PA mic and let out this blast…”What are you all laughing at, she’s the only one in here who gives me any competition”.

That’s P Val…Closet full of demons; incredible talent and as competitive as any 5 riders.

PS: Like his 1989 live Preakness interview on national TV after he beat my beloved Easy Goer…”Pat (Day) tried to screw me the whole way around and he couldn’t do it.”

DanG
01-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Forgive me for digging up an old thread. Here are some of the match races discussed in this thread plus a bonus or two...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e4F8pDHCErw&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NMEPg0Rqp8I

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JeuMM2HJN44

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8uYaLYOz6k4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZuXcLdqcylY
Thanks for links Dan…good stuff. :ThmbUp:

I miss match racing, it really cut's out the BS…Simple; my horse is faster than yours, lets go.

njcurveball
01-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I miss match racing, it really cut's out the BS.

I like the pomp and circumstance of it Dan, but I feel a 2 horse race is definitely biased in favor of a speed horse.

Jolley did an amazing job getting Foolish Pleasure on edge to run with Ruffian. But it is probably easier with a 3 year old than an older horse. And back then there was no Breeders Cup to look forward to.

How bout we convince them to a 1 million dollar Breeders Cup Match Race? Might be an exciting start to the big day of racing?

Jim

RaceBookJoe
01-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Though not technically a match race, i remember a couple of years ago at Philly, due to scratches that only 2 horses ran...so in essence it formed a match race. Also, in the same time frame, might have been colonial, where only 1 horse raced, so his match race was against his conditioning in that all he had to do was get around the track. RBJ

DanG
01-17-2008, 12:26 PM
How bout we convince them to a 1 million dollar Breeders Cup Match Race? Might be an exciting start to the big day of racing?

I like it Jim!!!

If they won’t go for that I vote for a $50 dollar match between ‘Muttonchops and Hank Goldberg! :)

njcurveball
01-17-2008, 12:57 PM
I like it Jim!!!

If they won’t go for that I vote for a $50 dollar match between ‘Muttonchops and Hank Goldberg! :)

This has to be the comment of the year! (At least so far!) :ThmbUp:

Nice belly laugh for me with this one! :lol:

Can we get Kenny Mayne to do the race call?

I will split the $50 with you to sponsor the race gladly!

Norm
01-17-2008, 05:46 PM
My own 'hands-on' experience with horses has been with show jumpers. For a couple of seasons, as a crowd pleaser, match races were staged over an arena course that was a maze of hedges and low fences. The crowds went wild with cheering as a pair would race through the course. I thought we were on to something to bring out larger crowds to these jumper events. But a lot of owners were not too keen on the idea since many show jumpers are retired thoroughbred racehorses and a trainer's main focus is to un-train them as racers and to get the racetrack out of their heads. These match races were thus counter-productive. The moral of the story, though, is that the crowds do love match racing and it builds-up attendance at events.