PDA

View Full Version : LA Times' Bill Dwyre says RTR just saved racing...

PaceAdvantage
06-12-2007, 01:18 AM
I don't know about this....but at least it's a positive piece!

But on a Saturday afternoon at Belmont Park, where they run the third leg of the Triple Crown and where, like distant cousins going to will readings, they were getting tired of being trivialized by near-misses or no-chances, a lady rode to the rescue. Rags to Riches, her name describing what she was about to do for her sport, won the Belmont Stakes.

Rags to Riches and jockey John Velasquez weren't scared. They went head-to-head with Preakness winner Curlin, just as Curlin had done in the Preakness with Kentucky Derby winner Street Sense. Curlin battled, Rags to Riches battled back. When it ended, she was woman and she had roared.

So has the immediate future of horse racing, which currently has:

Read the rest here:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dwyre12jun12,1,2496082.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

boomman
06-12-2007, 11:26 AM
She certainly didn't hurt matters any!!:)

Boomer

Tom
06-12-2007, 12:39 PM
I knew Ruffina.
She's no Ruffian. :rolleyes:

What's he talking about? Better yet, what's he smoking?:lol:

I doubt the new fans she will draw in would fit in a bus.
And half of those will soon discover there is no way they can get a bet in anywhere.:(

GaryG
06-12-2007, 03:43 PM
The LA Times has not had serious racing coverage for many years. Bill Dwyre is (or was) the sports editor and knows zip about the subject. About like the guy that said Foolish Pleasure was better than Ruffian.

Zman179
06-12-2007, 04:49 PM
What a load of crap. Tell Dwyre next time to let his emotions calm down before releasing this sort of drivel.

In a month, people will be like, "Rags who?"