PDA

View Full Version : Form Markings

LutherCalvin
06-11-2007, 08:33 AM
For pen and paper handicappers, what markings do you place on your Form or racing program?

To determine the pace shape of the race I circle the horses who by running style will contend for the pace. This will help me determine whether the winner of the race will come from on the pace or a closer.

I circle the speed rating of the horse with the highest speed rating in its last race. This horse will usually be the favorite in the race and a logical contender.

Over the company line I put the class of the horse's last in the money finish in its last two races, and circle the top class in the money finish.

Next to that I put the average $ earnings per race and circle the numbers of the horses who average above the average for all the horses in the race.

Finally, for longshots I will examine the back class of each entrant and circle the class of the horse with the highest in the money finish.

A couple of things I like to look at are recent claims, odds drops of 50% from it last race, and horses that win at least a third of their races. I draw a small arrow to these.

1st time lasix
06-11-2007, 08:50 AM
1st and 2nd off layoffs.....circle pedigree on baby races.....identify front end pace entries....trainer angles.....class droppers.....distance suitability.....tomlinsons etc

Tom
06-11-2007, 09:35 AM
I draw a line through each paceline that is not the same type as todays - sprints in a route race, turf in a dirt race, etc.

Then circle the Beyer for each representative race that I would rate, particularly the wins, similar to what Quinn describes in his Figure Handciapping book.

I highlite changes, jockey, equipment, etc.

Then the best two first call finishes at today's distance and shorter, and the horse's first call positons when it wins or runs close to get an idea of his pace comfort zone.

point given
06-11-2007, 10:36 AM
1 st, take a look for who the speed is in the race, notate on top of page, look at their post positions to see who will pressure whom.

2nd, look at every horse with an eye to how they are coming up to the race, with notes on workouts between races and todays.
\Next - go over trainer angles, records, hot/cold etc. scan charts for the last couple of days racing. watch replays if warranted.

Onto, likely pace scenarios, how the race will play out to me. mark each horse for speed, presser,closer , look at late pace figs.

determine the faves, see if the race is playable either individually or horizontally.

recalculate after changes, and if at all possible , be at the track and do inspections and warmups.