PDA

View Full Version : Handle:The Early Results Are In

LaughAndBeMerry
06-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Early Results are in and it is not good. My estimate is that handle across the US has dropped by close to 10% since the whole Track Net / TVG war was declared on customers. These are the facts I found

Belmont Stakes Day handle down 9%. Unofficially I hear NYRA down more than 7% from last year.

Lone Star Park handle down 11-14% from last year which was worst year ever, depends on who's #s you use

Kentucky Derby down for the first time in 5 years. Churchill and Arlington meet down 6-10% again depending on who's #s you use.

Philly Park down 30%

Pmilico down 10% year over year

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I'm disgusted. I closed my Youbet and Xpressbet accounts and just opened one with ehorse. I think all that handle has gone to the bookmakers. Way to go track operators.:ThmbUp:

Anyone know any other handle numbers feel free to post them.

Zman179
06-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Philadelphia Park's dive in handle was their own doing. Now that they've got slots, they've let it be known that they could care less about racing.

I'm actually quite happy to see this huge downturn in handle numbers. Maybe they'll wake up and realize that what is happening with all of these "signal wars" only hurts themselves in the long run.

kenwoodallpromos
06-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Philadelphia Park's dive in handle was their own doing. Now that they've got slots, they've let it be known that they could care less about racing.

I'm actually quite happy to see this huge downturn in handle numbers. Maybe they'll wake up and realize that what is happening with all of these "signal wars" only hurts themselves in the long run.
___
NY wants racing operator separate from slots operator. I assume money will be also except for purse increase- what does that say about caring?

betovernetcapper
06-11-2007, 03:22 PM
I boycotted the Derby and wound up passing on the entire Triple Crown. I live in Chicago an have not bet a penny on the current AP meeting and have no intention of doing so. I share your disgust.

trigger
06-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Lone Star Park handle down 11-14% from last year which was worst year ever, depends on who's #s you use
Anyone know any other handle numbers feel free to post them.

Lone Star has experienced unprecendented rain this year....as of 5/30, only 13 of the 39 race days had fast tracks.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/horseracing/stories/053107dnspolsbriefs.3657c45.html

LaughAndBeMerry
06-12-2007, 12:36 PM
I do not take credit for this, it was posted by a someone on the Magna Yahoo board, I just cut and pasted

Pimlico Handle:

31 days of racing in 2006 and 2007. The Equibase charts do not give the on-track handle, which leaves us with total only. Note, the purse money was reduced by $36,000 avg. per day.

year ---- avg. purse ---- total handle
2006 ---- $342,000 ---- $6.05 mil
2007 ---- $306,000 ---- $5.33 mil
Handle Down 12%:(

Handle Down more than 20%!!!!! if you don't include Preakness:(:(

Seems like the signal battle is working out fine. How long until Magna Ent. declares bankruptcy? Thank you Frank S and Track Net.:ThmbUp:

JustRalph
06-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Seems like the signal battle is working out fine. How long until Magna Ent. declares bankruptcy? Thank you Frank S and Track Net.:ThmbUp:

Ummm....... only one problem. Declaring bankruptcy would probably help them continue to survive for another 5 years. Ever read about the Airlines?

Frank declaring bankruptcy would be the worst thing that could happen to a player. It would give him carte blanche to raise prices on everything and the courts would approve of it. It would also give him several diffrent outlets for trashing the tracks he owns and cutting employees at each. You don't want Magna declaring bankruptcy...........it would just make things worse.

LaughAndBeMerry
06-12-2007, 01:09 PM
From the Blood Horse:

Maryland Jockey Club and the Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association have agreed to reduce purses and slash the stakes schedule for the balance of the 2007 racing campaign as the industry faces a $3 million shortfall in the purse account by the end of the calendar year.

A total of 78 live days remain on the Maryland Jockey Club racing schedule. The annual eight-week break from live racing in the state began this week as racing moved to Colonial Downs in Virginia. Racing returns to the major Maryland tracks on Aug. 10 for the 10-day Laurel Park summer meet. After the Timonium State Fair stand concludes on Labor day, the 17-week fall meeting will be conducted at Laurel beginning Sept. 5 on a four-day a week schedule (Wednesday through Saturday, with Columbus holiday exception).

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=39336

A job well done:ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
06-13-2007, 01:22 AM
And to think, some folks wanted these guys to take over the NYRA franchise....:lol:

Ivan
06-13-2007, 02:47 AM
What a coincidence!

The more ADW's and signal disputes the more the industry spirals downward.

Was there a period when it was all about the horses?

The only positive is the artificial surfaces. It's obvious that the change to safer surfaces does impact field size thus improving handle.

Pretty soon here SoCal tracks will all have the stuff and I think that is good news for California Racing

:cool:

:sleeping: