PDA

View Full Version : Ruffian The Movie

KingChas
06-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Anyone watch this last night?
I thought the horse (sex?) who played Ruffian was the best actor in the movie.Looked just like her.
The breakdown scene was rough to watch. :(
I'm suprised they showed the movie before the release of the DVD -June 12th.
They also stated at the end of the movie that was the last championship match race held in North America.Is that true?Thought they had run some since.Unless the phrase "Championship Matchrace" is the meaning.

KingChas
06-10-2007, 10:01 AM
As much as I hate the ending.I have to watch anything pertaining to Ruffian,loved her.It's old news but its like watching Secretariat pull away in the Belmont.When I hear the call,I have to put down what I'm doing and rewatch it.Ruffian certainly would be on my list as one of the greatest horses ever.Who's knows what more she would have done?

Never saw a ghost but I get that feeling when rewatching these two horses
"Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck." ;)

Dave Schwartz
06-10-2007, 10:23 AM
It was an axcellent movie.

classhandicapper
06-10-2007, 11:15 AM
I enjoyed it, but between watching "Barabaro" the other day and "Ruffian" last night, I could use some happy pills. :(

Ruffian was one of my favorite horses of all time. She's the first horse that made me shed tears. Every time she hit the quater pole, shifted gears, and drew off it used to give me chills. It still does.

I feel sorry for anyone that wasn't a fan in the 70s and missed Ruffian and all the rest of the champions of that decade. I may not live long enough to see another like her or another decade like that, but I keep hoping.

Pace Cap'n
06-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Thought they had run some since.Unless the phrase "Championship Matchrace" is the meaning.

Perhaps meant "Matchrace of Champions"?

NY BRED
06-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm on the same page as you regarding Ruffian and was at the track the
day she broke down.

I was at Belmont yesterday, and I RTR may bring back that special
feeling of courage and determination that Ruffian and her connections
brought to the racing world

KingChas
06-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Just replayed the DVR.This is how it was stated in the credits.

"The "Great Match Race" between Ruffian and Foolish Pleasure was the last match race between thoroughbred champions ever held in America."

AQUEBUCKS
06-10-2007, 01:02 PM
I was wondering what happened to Francisco "Cisco" Torres, he had a pretty good Arlington meet last season. Wonder how he landed the part of Braulio Baeza? I thought Vladimir Diaz did OK playing Jacinto Vasquez.

bigmack
06-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I enjoyed the picture with the exception of the slow-mo/close-up on the break. I could have done without that.

kenwoodallpromos
06-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Did the same announcer really call all those Ruffian races? Seems like in the movie every race was "And down the stretch she comes-alone!"

BlueShoe
06-11-2007, 07:11 PM
The film did not portray Braulio Baeza in a very good light,which rather puzzles me.He often would come West to ride at the winter Santa Anita meet,and he always impressed as being a top notch rider.

saratoga guy
06-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Did the same announcer really call all those Ruffian races? Seems like in the movie every race was "And down the stretch she comes-alone!"

And there were a couple of camera shots over Dave Johnson's shoulder that made it apparent that he wouldn't have been able to see the stretch over that desk he was sitting at!

Also liked the call of her first race -- in which Ruffian was the only horse that got a call throughout !

As well, artistic license.

I thought it was a [i]mildly entertaining TV movie at best.

Buckeye
06-12-2007, 09:20 PM
No question the best horse ever to race anywhere.

That includes such favorites as Cigar, Secretariat, Smarty Jones, Man o War, etc.

What set her apart? She gave her life proving she was the best.

I was there that day snapping photos and thinking I knew what was about to happen, but no, I didn't expect that great a performance she gave.

and I'd put Go for Wand in her class also, although Ruffian would have destroyed her.

PhotogPhanatic
06-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Am told the barn scene when the press were waiting patiently outside to see Ruffian was not true to scale. What happened was they BARGED into the barn demanding to see Ruffian, and Whitely, being all pissed off, sent em to a different stall. So half of what you saw was true.
Did the movie get released on DVD? I sure can't find it.

kenwoodallpromos
06-23-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm waiting for the John Henry movie in which he plays himself!LOL!!