PDA

View Full Version : My annual rant

46zilzal
06-09-2007, 01:32 PM
I had a letter to the editor published in Unbridled's Derby issue of The BloodHorse and my concern about the subject of that letter is still extant: HOW in the world are we going to know where REAL stamina (not theoretical or stamina from the blade runners [turfers]), if they do not offer real stamina tests (like today) at graded levels?

Speed and precosity run hand in hand and the breeder's know it. A quick return on an investment is NOT what is found with stamina, which, like good wine, takes time to develope. Even in human sports like cross country skiing, most of the champions are in their thirties not twenties.

I realize that marathons are not the greatest betting or viewing races. Why not run them non-wagering? Exhibitions? They NEED to run them however or sources of stamina in the breed are only theoretical or from turf lines.

If this mania for speed is not balanced by Solid and Professional pre-potent sires (when was the last time a chef-de-race was added as a pure stamina source? Run the Gaunlet?), down the road we are going to see more and more 4.5 furlong races. Breeding has to be B-A-L-A-N-C-E-D

Tom
06-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Personally, I love grass marathons.
One year, at a Sartin seminar at Toga, the Hat commented "You yankees sure sure do run 'em far enough!" To which Howard replied, "They finish up at Belmont."

witchdoctor
06-09-2007, 02:25 PM
It is interesting that you are complaining about the loss of stamina. Her in Oklahoma, it seems that the racing secretary thinks that 6 furlongs is a route.
Ann Ferland who used to write for OwnerBreeder Journal is starting a Yahoo group called IronHorse in an effort to start a grass root movement to try to bring back longer races and restore stamina to the breed.

kenwoodallpromos
06-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Are you sure you did not write that letter in 1991, the first year of racing's demise?
Since 1991, only 2 years have total USA races not decreased; and since 1991 no years did average starts per horse go down. It was also the year Crist railed agaist giving anabolic staroids to young horses; the year mwny standing track records were set; a couple of years when the average price at auction, average purse per race, and betting did not increase.
So as the quality and distance go down, the money goes up.