PDA

View Full Version : Miss Missile should in shine Texas Thoroughbred Association Sales Futurity Stakes

joeyreb
06-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Saturday's racing it might be all about the Girls

The racing at Lone Star Park has very good in 2007. As good as the racing has been here. You would have to include first two starts of this filly in the high lights of the year.

Miss Missile, daughter of Golden Missile, was purchased at the Fasig-Tipton 2-year-old in training sale this April at Lone Star Park for $35000.

Miss Missile ran a Lone Star record time of :51.18 seconds for 4 ½ furlongs April 28 in a $24,000 maiden special weight race in her debut. Then she won her 5-furlong TTA trial on May 24 in :58.61 over a sloppy track. Her time was the fastest qualifying time in both Filly & Colt divisions.

This filly is special, she already has the ability to rate some.
Most 2 -year-olds who won early on are the need to lead type, who run as fast as they can for as long as they can. Not this filly, she presses the pace all the way and put them away in the stretch.

Her specialness hasn't gone unnoticed either, her owner/trainer Charles Smith said, "he has received offers of from $200,000 to $300,000 from 13 bloodstock agents after that race [April 28th record setter]" After she won her 5-furlong TTA trial on May 24th, he turned down an even larger offers.

"I'm not saying the horse doesn't have a price," Smith said. "But so far, it comes down to having more certificate of deposits in the bank or a really nice filly."

Miss Missile will face some tough competition. Lone Star Park's Top Trainers Steve Asmussen and Bret Calhoun have four entries apiece in Saturday's race.

Steve Asmussen has trained the winning filly in seven of the last eight TTA Stakes, including 2006 winner, Miss Mary Pat.

TTA's $100,000 colt and gelding division is more up for grabs .

Trainers Steve Asmussen and Bret Calhoun are also loaded with entries here as well. The favorite will be Kinetic Motion, trained by Allen Milligan, ran the fast time in the Colt & Geldings Trials on May 25th.

Kinetic Motion ran 5 furlongs in :59.18 winning by 3 ¾ lengths in his trial race.

But for me, the colt to beat is the Bret Calhoun trained, Stormy Date, who made his debut in the trial race. He got loose before the loading and used a lot of energy and still ran second in his trial. I think he should move forward. Mr. Calhoun expects him to act more professional with the education.

Tomorrow, Lone Star Park is the place to be. Don't miss your chance to see what is perhaps an emerging Super Star.

I know I can say, I saw Kip Deville run here and Great Hunter break his maiden in 2006. Both were bought for high figures and went on to be Super Stars on Turf and Dirt.

Oh yeah, you can see Rags to Riches take on Curlin & Hard Spun in the Belmont Stakes, as Lone Star will simulcast the Final jewel in the Triple Crown.