PDA

View Full Version : pizzola

chickenhead
06-08-2007, 07:22 PM
I don't use his sw or anything, but I get his "rants" emailed to me, I must have registered for something at some point.

Am I the only one that finds it bothersome he refers to horses as "it". Have you ever noticed that?

OK, it's 1 for 6, and has 3
seconds, so not exactly a champion. However, it likes to come from just off the pace. It's exhibiting
a Type I pattern

Sometimes he'll call a horse he or she, but then he falls back into "it". I think it was his Derby rant that really got to me. Now I know it is perfectly acceptable English to use "it" like that...but I don't like it...seems somehow disrespectful to them.

Am I crazy?

GaryG
06-08-2007, 07:27 PM
No chickie I feel the same way. The same with folks who refer to pets as "it" or "the dog". I know little of Mr. Pizzola but that puts me off. To quote Dylan: Either I'm too sensitive or else just gettin soft.

DanG
06-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Chick…

I couldn’t agree more.

I’m assuming this is Mike Pizzola who is famous for referring to horses as “Pig’s”. It’s the reason the Andy Serling’s of the world get under my skin by referring to slow ones as "garbage".

Always bothered me and its good to see I wasn’t alone.

jotb
06-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Chick…

I couldn’t agree more.

I’m assuming this is Mike Pizzola who is famous for referring to horses as “Pig’s”. It’s the reason the Andy Serling’s of the world get under my skin by referring to slow ones as "garbage".

Always bothered me and its good to see I wasn’t alone.

Hello DanG:

On the backside and even hear it from fans. "The horse is a rat".

Joe

DanG
06-08-2007, 10:55 PM
On the backside and even hear it from fans. "The horse is a rat". Joe
That’s so true Joe,

We have all heard “rats” and much worse.

The barns I’ve been around where mainly Bill Mott and Willard Proctor and I must say I never heard anything derogatory from either of the them about an animal. Proctor might call a horse “common” or a “cheat”, but that’s as far as he went.

In fact…One of the many Willard Proctor stories and one I witnessed.

One of the grooms had a long time maiden for Claiborne and she finally won. After she cooled out he brought her back to the barn wearing a hat he had made. Well, Willard went ballistic and jacked this poor kid up against the wall and threatened to punch his face in. Anyone who remembers Proctor knows he was not the man to mess with. If he felt you disrespected one of his animals, you had to deal with his fist.

PS: Side note on “human nature”… :rolleyes:

My daughter is one hell of a softball player and her team when she was 13yo was virtually unbeatable. They were beating some local team really bad and she slid into 3rd and got hurt. The woman sitting behind (my then wife) and I says…”Good…I hope she broke her leg”. So…that wonderful trait in some people isn’t only limited to animals. :ThmbDown:

kingfin66
06-09-2007, 01:02 AM
Try not to take so personally. I guarantee you the horses don't.

ryesteve
06-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Does that mean it's also ok to use racial slurs so long as no one from your "target audience" is there to hear it and take it personally?

DanG
06-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Reflects poorly on the person hurling the insults IMO, but whatever gets you through the day I guess.

I grew up in NJ, so between all my trips to Mth, Pha, all the NY and Maryland tracks I like most of you have heard it all. When it really hits home just how stupid it sounds is when I take my daughter (who truly loves horses) and some halfwit is calling them every name in the book because he lost. I’m embarrassed for her and more importantly for the sport that I love. Its horrible public relations at the very least and moronic on any level.

kingfin66
06-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Ryesteve,

That is quite a leap don't you think? Drawing an analogy between referring to a horse as "it" in a written document and hurling racist slurs. I just woke up and your post gave me humor with my morning coffee.

Guys, once again, they are horses. If you really want to talk about what is insulting, change the discussion to whether horse racing is animal cruelty. Obviously, we bettors don't think so, but many others in the world would disagree.

Have a great day. Seriously, have a great day and make lots of money. Belmont and Hollywood both look to have good cards and I am going to be betting many of those He, She and Its.

kingfin66
06-09-2007, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=DanG]Reflects poorly on the person hurling the insults IMO, but whatever gets you through the day I guess. [QUOTE]

I guess where we disagree is that I simply fail to consider referring to a horse as "It" is insulting. That was what the original post was about. Somebody else starting talking "Pigs" and then you yourself brought somebody else's name and what they call horse's into the conversation. So, yeah, I guess I get through the day.

chickenhead
06-09-2007, 12:00 PM
I actually find referring to them as an "it" as probably more demeaning than "rat". I can understand getting upset, having passion, and I think disdain for an animals abilities can be the flip side to admiration. Obviously it can go overboard, but at least I understand it.

Calling them "it" however, seems almost clinical in its lack of passion, its lack of the whole concept of admiration. Was Secretariat an it? I just think they deserve a little more respect. These are pretty magnicent animals, they're not "its". I think it does reflect very poorly on anyone that can't figure that much out.

Greyfox
06-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Am I crazy?

"Yes." ( You asked. We've known that for some time.):lol:

In seriousness, I don't like it either when people yell "Come'on #3."
(Unfortunately, I've found myself guilty of that lately too.)
Horses do have names.
And after the race you'll hear some loser say
"That # 3 was a piece of s--t."
I generally chuckle at that point, after all if a person thinks that
about a horse why didn't they see that before they bet?

GaryG
06-09-2007, 12:20 PM
"Yes." ( You asked. We've known that for some time.):lol:

In seriousness, I don't like it either when people yell "Come'on #3."
(Unfortunately, I've found myself guilty of that lately too.)
Horses do have names.
And after the race you'll hear some loser say
"That # 3 was a piece of s--t."
I generally chuckle at that point, after all if a person thinks that
about a horse why didn't they see that before they bet?The next time he won't be #3 and that fan won't know who the hell he is.

ryesteve
06-10-2007, 02:49 AM
That is quite a leap don't you think?
Not at all. Your point seemed to be that people shouldn't be offended by derogatory remarks (such as "pig"... get off the "it" thing) that aren't directed towards them, especially when the target of the insult wouldn't, or can't, "take it personally". I'd say the analogy fits.
But if you're going to say that's not what your point was, you don't need to clarify because I really don't care anymore.

kingfin66
06-10-2007, 02:56 AM
Not at all. Your point seemed to be that people shouldn't be offended by derogatory remarks (such as "pig"... get off the "it" thing) that aren't directed towards them, especially when the target of the insult wouldn't, or can't, "take it personally". I'd say the analogy fits.
But if you're going to say that's not what your point was, you don't need to clarify because I really don't care anymore.

Good, neither do I.

The Judge
06-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Yes Pizzola call's some horses "pigs" but not all horses. Jockeys whip the crap out of their horses then say what a great animal she/he is and we all have favorite jockeys.

Calling names Hall of Fame trainer Charlie Whittingham call jockeys "the size 3 hats". Everyone loved Charlie.

DanG
06-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Yes Pizzola call's some horses "pigs" but not all horses. Jockeys whip the crap out of their horses then say what a great animal she/he is and we all have favorite jockeys.

He doesn’t call “all” horses pigs…well, that makes all the difference. :rolleyes:

That’s also why I am 110% in favor of banning whips.

classhandicapper
06-10-2007, 05:21 PM
He doesn’t call “all” horses pigs…well, that makes all the difference. :rolleyes:

That’s also why I am 110% in favor of banning whips.

Yea, I don't see the point of whips either. As long as no one has one, what's the complaint.

Sly7449
06-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Greetings,

Kingfin mentioned He, She, and It's.

I could remember the word for a He/She which was Shim

Now, how would you call a She/It?

All together now :lol: :lol: :lol:

CYA

Blackgold
06-12-2007, 05:52 PM
I think too many people worry about too many insignificant things.

Or in other words, they spend too much time on SH with their IT.

Time is better spent handicapping.

I used Pizzolla's stuff to hit the $1,974.20 super today at RD 6th.

It is good.

Good luck all!

chickenhead
06-12-2007, 06:05 PM
I hereby apologize for referencing Pizzola. I should have known that the fact his name was associated with it (the horse?) would keep people from actually being able to address the subject on its (which horse?) own terms. I knew it (that nag) at the time though and I did it (no I didn't do a horse silly) anyway. I pretty much knew before hand that certain someones would post, and what they would say, just based on the fact that Pizzola happened to be associated with it (no not the horse), even though he is but the example.

Poor choice of thread title, my bad. I will always find calling animals "it" very very strange however. Unless you're a sociopath, I guess.

GaryG
06-12-2007, 06:06 PM
I will always find calling animals "it" very very strange however. Unless you're a sociopath, I guess. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
06-13-2007, 01:29 AM
I pretty much knew before hand that certain someones would post, and what they would say, just based on the fact that Pizzola happened to be associated with it (no not the horse), even though he is but the example.

Weird how that works, isn't it (no, not the horse).

socantra
06-13-2007, 10:20 AM
I've always found referring to horses as pigs and rats a bit offputting, but I think this whole thread is reaching the point of the ridiculous in terms of lihguistic correctness.

I quite often refer to horses as "it" or by their number. Since the boys and girls don't run together often, I rarely pay much attention to that in my style of handicapping. I also often pay little attention to the horses name, since that is not usually a vital handicapping factor.

As far as failing to show respect for magnificent animals, I do remember Secretariat's name. That was a magnificent animal. Many of the horses that I handicap are not magnificent animals, but crippled. working stiffs trying to stay away from the rendering plant.

I find the idea that I'm a sociopath for referring to an animal as "it" when I don't know or care what sex it is and don't remember it's name to be insulting and more than a little silly.

chickenhead
06-13-2007, 10:38 AM
I just call them he or she. I think its weird, thats all. You are completely linguistically correct calling them an "it". Any non-human can be called "it".

The only reason I posted is because I honestly don't think I've ever heard or seen anyone refer to horses as "it" (especially when the sex and names are completely well known and referenced in the very same sentence). It stuck out like a sore thumb. And sometimes, when I see something so strange (to me) and out of place, I like to talk about it.

chickenhead
06-13-2007, 11:45 AM
I should admit that the strength of my convictions in unresolvable seemingly trivial subjects is nearly unbounded. If the mistake was ever made to put me in charge:

Anyone over the age of 12 found putting ketchup on a hot dog would be imprisoned.

Prohibition would be brought back for sweet tea.

The Army of the White Chowder would begin marshalling its forces for the Great March to the East.

To me these sorts of differences are the spice of life. Does this rise to that level? Maybe, maybe not. But it is much more interesting than talking anymore about why Hard Spun lost the Belmont. So if my sociopath comment was over the top so be it, I always represent the home team with vigor.

GaryG
06-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Prohibition would be brought back for sweet tea.Grrrrrr!!!!! That is the staff of life....nothing like it when properly brewed.

DanG
06-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Anyone over the age of 12 found putting ketchup on a hot dog would be imprisoned.

:lol::lol::lol:

PaceAdvantage
06-14-2007, 01:04 AM

Remind me NOT to vote for you....:faint:

Lefty
06-14-2007, 11:57 AM
How often have you heard people call newborn babiies "it"
"Congrats on the baby, Joe, what did you name it?"
I agree on the hotdog thing. The wife does it and I call her barbaric.

headhawg
06-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Anyone over the age of 12 found putting ketchup on a hot dog would be imprisoned.Well, I'll make the argument that if you're not eating Chicago-style hot dogs -- from Chicago -- then I'm not sure what you're eating, sans ketchup or not.

Sorry, back to the original point of this thread.

NYPlayer
06-14-2007, 08:37 PM

What about the famous Mr Ed? I'm sure he would have! :D

Sly7449
06-15-2007, 01:14 AM
Not only "it" but how about this. The majority of horse players address horses in the race by their Saddle Cloth Number.

Wagers are called out by their NUMBER. Try telling the Teller that you want your picks by calling the name of the horse.

When cheering for your horse, most will say "Come On One" What really don't sound good is when people say "Come On Number Two"

Really, that number two should be reserved for patients that use Exlax or Colase.

DanG
06-15-2007, 07:08 AM
When cheering for your horse, most will say "Come On One" What really don't sound good is when people say "Come On Number Two"
LOL…:lol:

Sounds like you should be writing for the next Austin Powers flick.

Geez Chick…Your threads develop a life of their own. ;) :ThmbUp:

DanG
06-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Well, I'll make the argument that if you're not eating Chicago-style hot dogs -- from Chicago -- then I'm not sure what you're eating, sans ketchup or not.

Sorry, back to the original point of this thread.

Sorry Chick…You started a firestorm with your Dog & Ketchup observation.:D

Killer dogs in the ‘windy city…but, lets give NY / Jersey its do…

New York…

The street “Sabrett’s”: with that skin that pops. Something about the liquid they steam in that hasn’t been cleaned since ‘LaGuardia was mayor that really adds to the flavor.

Nathan’s: An institution in dog’s, but its those killer fries that set them apart IMHO. They use the Chinese method of frying that makes all the difference. Fry twice…once at a low temp to cook through, then at high temp to crisp.

NY honorable mention:

Katz’s Deli, The Papaya King

Jersey…

My favorite is the foot long from the Windmill. Several new locations since I lived there, but there was nothing like 9 at Monmouth and then cruising Ocean ave. and grabbing a dog while reading the advanced form.

John’s Texas Weiner’s: Grilled and smothered in onions!!!

Italian style dogs: Half a round Italian loaf is hollowed out and the dog is deep fried (Like the famous “ripper”). Smothered in peppers and onions and topped with crisp potatoes. Elizabeth was the place to go when I was a kid for the best.

Chicago:

Outstanding dog’s from HeadHawg's neck of the woods and very different from what I grew up eating. Local place here in Tampa called “Mel’s” does a nice job of imitation…But for the originals…

The Weiner’s Circle, Superdawg and who could forget Hot Doug’s…anyone who fries their potatoes in duck fat can’t be all bad.

The toppings and the steamed poppy seed roll give many Chicago dogs their unique quality. Most have chopped tomato, sweet relish, celery salt and our topped with a whole dill pickle spear.

Chick…I think this thread was a clever way to start WWIII using franks as the ammunition. I have a feeling a few other states might chime in defending their Weiner turf.

OK…It’s time for breakfast and it MUST include sausage after all that!!! :jump:

GaryG
06-15-2007, 08:14 AM
The toppings and the steamed poppy seed roll give many Chicago dogs their unique quality. Most have chopped tomato, sweet relish, celery salt and our topped with a whole dill pickle spear.All beef Must Be Vienna hot dogs....that bright green relish...jalapenos on the side...that's it! Little hole in the wall joint in Fox River Grove called Mr. Beefy's.

DanG
06-15-2007, 08:35 AM
All beef Must Be Vienna hot dogs....that bright green relish...jalapenos on the side...that's it! Little hole in the wall joint in Fox River Grove called Mr. Beefy's.
Thanks Gary,

I LOVE the ‘hole in the wall joints the locals only know.

Chick…is this your 1st time you were hijacked by hot dogs? :)

chickenhead
06-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Chick…is this your 1st time you were hijacked by hot dogs? :)

I'm all about passion for a good hot dog. We only have one hot dog joint within reasonable driving distance....and I tell you that lady has no idea what she is doing, it's criminal. She doesn't have any love for the dogs. I cuss and swear and threaten to buy the place (not out loud of course) every time I go.

And your note about double cooking the fries is dead on, thats the method I use at home.

First_Place
06-15-2007, 01:30 PM
ryesteve sanctimoniously asked:

"Does that mean it's also ok to use racial slurs so long as no one from your "target audience" is there to hear it and take it personally?"

Yeah, damn right...it sure does, especially if the situation warrants it!! I gotta laugh at (really I'd like to spit at) you neutered, politically-correct, authoritarian-types. HOW DARE YOU IMPOSE UPON ME AND OTHERS YOUR VERSION OF MORALITY??? Huh??????

Long live the First Amendment! Especially "so long as no one from" my "target audience" is there to hear it and take it personally!!!

Back to horse racing...

FP

ryesteve
06-15-2007, 02:03 PM
1) Learn what the first amendment really says

2) Having the opinion that someone like you is a low-life cretin is NOT "imposing" anything on you

3) Go crawl back under your rock

GaryG
06-15-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm all about passion for a good hot dog. We only have one hot dog joint within reasonable driving distance....and I tell you that lady has no idea what she is doing, it's criminal. She doesn't have any love for the dogs. I cuss and swear and threaten to buy the place (not out loud of course) every time I go.

And your note about double cooking the fries is dead on, thats the method I use at home.Chickie, you would freak out in Chicago. I used to get two of those Mr. Beefy dogs to eat while I waited for the train to Arlington. There are many of those little places, I even found a good one near the lake in Kenosha. Hell, I can get there in 10 hours...

socantra
06-15-2007, 02:11 PM
curiouser and curiouser

chickenhead
06-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Chickie, you would freak out in Chicago. I used to get two of those Mr. Beefy dogs to eat while I waited for the train to Arlington. There are many of those little places, I even found a good one near the lake in Kenosha. Hell, I can get there in 10 hours...

The lady here has all of her little awards posted from the sanitation department for excellence in cleanliness, above and beyond the call of duty, whatever. Like I care lady, I'm salivating over a piece of sheep intestine stuffed with ground up cattle remnants...and I'm supposed to be worried about you? :D

If I ever do my nationwide horsetrack/baseball park trip, a sampling of regional dogs will be high on the list. :ThmbUp: