PDA

View Full Version : The Neutering Dilemna

sq764
12-07-2002, 08:24 AM
Well, this is part 2 of the unruly 15 month old yellow lab story..

I was curious everyone's opinion on neutering and its effects. I have heard anything from absolutely no change at all to a dog after neutering, all the way to the dog turns absolutely calm and is much more manageable.

We do not plan on breeding him, so its a logical choice to neuter him. I just do not want him to become a lazy lifeless dog..

GR1@HTR
12-07-2002, 10:54 PM
Chop the b*lls off. We did it to my old dog and he turned out ok. The last thing you want to see is the little red meat rocket popping out of that dog. Not a pretty site. Plus they like to shoot there sauce all over the place to mark there territory...

BTW, I had the vet remove my female dogs eggs so she would bleed all over the place. Had no idea female dogs went menstrated...No joke: My vet suggested "Bitches Britches" for my dog if she started...Question: How come female dogs flow the red stuff when hamsters, rabbits, and other 4 legged creatures stay dry???

Dan Montilion
12-08-2002, 06:07 AM
Holy Cow! This chop chop and bleeding has put me off of my feed. Chop? More like "snip, snip" and if you are present I swear, even though your no where near the clippers you will feel the sensation of a vasectomy. Beyond that If one does sacrafice the dogs male anatomy do what the old time horsemen did. Toss them on top of the barn or house for good luck.

Holiday Everyday,

Dan Montilion

Tom
12-08-2002, 11:18 AM
Isn't it hard to toss a dog that high?
Can;t believe they used to do it with horses!!!

Dave Schwartz
12-08-2002, 12:32 PM
Tom,

LOL

Dave

Lefty
12-08-2002, 12:46 PM
I will never have another male dog neutered. I had a Rotweiler of mine neutered once and he puffed up, fat as a hog and was never the same.

sq764
12-08-2002, 01:28 PM
That is my fear.. Our lab is 15 months old, he eats like an elephant, but is about as fit as he can be.. He's about 70 lbs, all muscle.. I just envision him gettin depressed and shooting up to 120 lbs..

Dave Schwartz
12-08-2002, 02:16 PM
SQ764,

Do you suppose that's how my lab-mix became 225 pounds? LOL

Seriously, he was neutered in his first year and has been fit and trim (at least as trim a 200-pound dog can be). Now, at age 10 he has begun to gain a little, about 10 pounds in the last 2 years.

He eats the same amount as he used to but we have cut out the table scraps as his stomach has become a little sensitive to high-fat (which is what the scraps usually are).

My major goal in life is to weigh less than he does before HE dies. (The vet says he's still got 2-3 years, same thing he says every year. If he ever tells me that Butkus is in his last year, I will have to crash diet and work out 3 times a day.)

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

bullet32
12-09-2002, 12:20 AM
Absolutely neuter! If you do not plan on breeding your pooch, you'll be doing him a favor (and keeping him healthy!). Go to http://www.doghause.com/neuter03.html for 5 good reasons to neuter.

Cheers

Tee
12-10-2002, 12:55 AM
I own a 3 1/2 year old male yellow lab. I had the vet neuter him as soon as possible. He has since been very attentive, calm & relaxed. He's sitting @ 100 lbs, but stands 26 inches at the shoulder. Watch the food intake & give the exercise that they want / need & all should be well.

My neighbor chose not to neuter his large breed puppy & had to endure a broken leg & surgery from his horn-dog jumping the fence to get at a female.

GR1@HTR
12-10-2002, 09:28 AM
Yeah, there is a chance your pup could plump up. I was afraid of that but my bitch has stayed real slim and has been able to keep off the weight. I keep her food out all day and even will try to suppliment her diet with 1lbs of ground beef/week. She is still slim and as lean as a Victoria Secret's model. However, one of my buddies dog is a chocolate lab who had her eggs removed and that thing looks like a fat brown haired pig...

Chop Chop!

Boris
12-10-2002, 06:39 PM
We "chopped" my now 4 year old yellow lab when he was around a year old. He gained some weight, but we switched to a lean food and that went away. Did it calm him down? I didn't think so at first. Took about another several months before he settled down. It's not an instant "fix". Best advise I got was what I put in the other thread. Train him that when you leave, you will come back. Give him lots of praise when you return. Mine sits in the front window waiting for me to come home.

sq764
12-10-2002, 06:54 PM
Well, the SPCA called and he got a 2 month reprieve (I guess the SPCA was like the governor for him!!)

He is getting big, but not filling out and he eats 5 cups of dog chow a day.. He is about 65-70 lbs and when he stands up, he is just as tall as my wide (she's 5 foot 3)..

Tom
12-13-2002, 11:25 PM
My dog wouldn't heel so I named him Hepres.