PDA

View Full Version : Altmagraenguida Huh?

bigmack
06-07-2007, 08:54 PM
The apt pronunciation of some names must drive announcers bonkers. The most noted example I believe was with V Stauffer trying to pronounce Almagraenguida and finally resolved on, here comes the 4.

How bout the owners giving the announcer a phonic heads-up on what they're looking for.

jballscalls
06-07-2007, 10:37 PM
I've had a couple owners call with pronunciations for first time starters or if i said a name wrong they call. we had a horse named tonyo, spelled exactly that way run. well after the first run here, the trainer who is a cool lady said its pronounced Tony O. i asked her where the space in the name was? so when the horse won his next start, i promptly said "dont call him tonyo, its TONY O!! " she called and said she loved it, most owners/trainers are cool about that stuff.

kenwoodallpromos
06-08-2007, 04:56 AM
The real blame for losing fans- unpronouncable names of horses. "AL".

GaryG
06-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Wasn't that an Iron Butterfly song?

Tom
06-08-2007, 10:00 AM
:lol:

A friend had a filly - never made it to the races, but her name was Odapzadazingzang. Jockey club nixed his first choice, Hugh Jardon and his second choice Fonda, Peter

Red Knave
06-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Odapzadazingzang.Now that's the name of a song. Probably Louie Prima. :D
There was a guy in Toronto years ago, (Bill Beasley, I think) who purposely gave his horses difficult names because he disliked the race caller of the day, Daryl Wells.

singunner
06-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Saw a horse the other day named "Mr. de Quacker". (Not sure if there was a period after the Mr)

I don't know why I somehow knew there was something wrong with it, but after saying it a few times quickly, I felt sorry for the announcer who had to say it.

ryesteve
06-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Saw a horse the other day named "Mr. de Quacker". (Not sure if there was a period after the Mr)

I don't know why I somehow knew there was something wrong with it, but after saying it a few times quickly, I felt sorry for the announcer who had to say it.
At least it was "Mr" and not "Ima"