PDA

View Full Version : Barbaro on HBO

ratpack
06-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Did anyone see the special on Barbaro last night? It is replaying several more time the reset of the month on HBO.

It was very well done and gave you a good insite into not only the horse but allot of people around the horse.

PaceAdvantage
06-08-2007, 01:58 AM
Yes, I saw it and I agree it was good. I was hoping for a little more insight into his post-race battles....but the 1st half hour concentrated on his racing career prior to the Preakness, which made it very similar to the documentary shown on NBC last month....

In any event, it's worth watching (and it's in HD)....

WJ47
06-08-2007, 03:11 AM
I thought the documentary was beautifully done. It was very touching and I was in tears at the end. The part that really got me was when they showed Barbaro hopping around after breaking down with Edgar Prado still on his back. It only lasted a short time, but seemed agonizingly long on film. I had to turn my head; it was painful to watch. I don't recall seeing that footage before. Gretchen and Roy Jackson are such wonderful people. HBO really did a wonderful job on it.

v j stauffer
06-13-2007, 03:40 AM
Yes, I saw it and I agree it was good. I was hoping for a little more insight into his post-race battles....but the 1st half hour concentrated on his racing career prior to the Preakness, which made it very similar to the documentary shown on NBC last month....

In any event, it's worth watching (and it's in HD)....

Just watched it for the first time tonight. Was especially touched by the strength and dignity the Jacksons showed.

I never believed it but perhaps some good came from all of this afterall.

Excellent job by HBO Sports.

ELA
06-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Just watched it for the first time tonight. Was especially touched by the strength and dignity the Jacksons showed.

I never believed it but perhaps some good came from all of this afterall.

Excellent job by HBO Sports.

Agreed. I think this story was excellent -- and to the point where it can create interest, make some fans, etc. The tragedy at the Preakness caught the attention of the world, and at the end caused the world to mourn. I know several people who contributed to the cause and several who have since become fans.

Tragedy unfortunately is a part of life. We must ensure that good does come from it.

Personally, I don't think about the fact that Barbaro died . . . I do however very much remember that he lived . . . and boy, did he ever.

Eric

Ivan
06-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Barbaro was really something special

I envisioned him dueling it out in the stretch with Bernardini and holding on by a head...

Same in the Belmont

What we DID see was a will to live and I was very upset when he didnt make it

He's up there runnin around with Ruffian :ThmbUp:

:(

o_crunk
06-13-2007, 10:50 PM
i thought the real story in this film was matz. talk about a life lived. wins a silver medal. flag bearer. saves a bunch of kids lives. trains a kentucky derby winner. he has always come off, IMHO, as a real class guy. there's almost nothing i don't like about him. if ever there was an example of good karma...

as far as the film itself...i liked how they dubbed in crowd roars in the tapes of barbaro's maiden victory at delaware....you and i know there couldn't have been more than a couple of thousand people there for that and not the huge roars that are heard in the film.

the jacksons just struck me as kind of blah. yes, they come off as nice, but they are exactly how i would picture people of massive wealth.

nice touch having some of the better 'talking heads' fill in some of the angles about how barbaro was percieved in the sport. what struck me at the time of barbaro's derby victory was how the horse went from just one of the ones to massive superstar...as beyer said in the film...there really wasn;t much attention given to barbaro before the derby. he was just a horse with a shot.

ELA
06-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Very true about Michael Matz. He is not only a class act, but there is a guy who is, without question, truly a hero. I didn't know Michael before Barbaro. However, I was at the track one day, on the way to my seat. I was walking along and saw him waiting on line to get a hotdog. He was talking with his wife and then she went to get on another line.

I purposely waited until he was done, and then I went over to introduce myself and shake his hand. Of course I asked him about how Barbaro was doing, but I told him I really just wanted to introduce myself, meet him, say hello and shake his hand. After we parted, a few bystanders asked me who was that. When I told them, they too wanted to meet him, say hello, etc. He stayed, shook each person's hand, answered questions, spoke with them, etc.

I saw him several weeks later and he came over to me -- remembered me and spent a few minutes talking with me, asking me about how my stock was doing, etc. And several months after that, at a completely different track -- same thing. He came right over and said hello.

A truly class act.

Eric

jognlope
06-14-2007, 05:15 PM
If any taped it I will pay!!