PDA

View Full Version : Video delay question.

gillenr
06-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Just tried live video with my laptop & found this strange thing.
With both desktop & laptop connected to a router, watching Phonebet video, the video on the laptop is at least 1 sec. ahead of the desktop.
Both are XP SP2 & WMP 11(all WMP settings the same).
Desktop has P4, 2.4Ghz, 512M.
Laptop has Celeron, 1.4Ghz,192M.
Just wondering why the delay?

BillW
06-06-2007, 04:10 PM
To smooth out video/audio, a computer buffers a certain amount of the data stream before it starts playing. You're just seeing one computer buffering one more second of data.

JustRalph
06-06-2007, 05:38 PM
To smooth out video/audio, a computer buffers a certain amount of the data stream before it starts playing. You're just seeing one computer buffering one more second of data.

Bingo, and to get them to sync up would be almost a miracle.........

Let me guess, the Desktop has more ram?

gillenr
06-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I understand buffering, but intuitively I expect the desktop to do it faster because more RAM & faster CPU.
PS - it is only a question to eliminate my confusion, not a problem.

JustRalph
06-06-2007, 06:14 PM
you can set the buffer amount in media player........

If you are buffering more on the desktop......it may take longer......to fill the buffer.........assuming you click play on both machines at the same time.
There is more to this, including lesser ram may fill up and start playing sooner etc. There are also processor issues to consider........

This can also be effected by the server that is serving the video. Some servers serve "first come, first serve" so the machine that logged in first would have a priority.

The interesting part would occur when the server you are logging into is very busy. Like on Belmont Stakes day..................

gillenr
06-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Tried it several times today & no consistent pattern, so I now don't care.
Thanks for the replies.