PDA

View Full Version : Apropos of nothing...Smart/Dumb

chickenhead
06-06-2007, 11:45 AM
I've crafted a view whereby I more or less classify everyone I meet into one of four categories:

dumb-dumb
smart-dumb
dumb-smart
smart-smart

so for instance the lady that works at the local gas station, she's dumb dumb. Her brain appears to have very little horsepower, and she also has found no good way to use what she has. Some of my PhD friends, they are smart-smart. They not only have much hw overhead, extra clock cycles and tons of RAM, they have well crafted applications that work well and rarely if ever crash.

I look at the first part, the leading dumb/smart, as kind of your operating system, your applications, while the trailing dumb/smart is the hardware underlying it. It's usually pretty easy to spot the smart-smart guys and the dumb-dumb guys, they'll stand out in most crowds.

Most people are in the other two categories, dumb-smart and smart-dumb, and sometimes it takes awhile to tell who is who, but with a little practice they can be distinguished pretty reliably from one another.

I'm a dumb-smart guy (though for starting this thread I may get downgraded to dumb-dumb in some books). My hardware is solid but my OS and applications are pretty crummy. I have bus contention issues, certain areas of RAM are not addressed properly, all in all a very poor use of my clock cycles. Sometimes I get a really good app installed an running, only to find a week later it will no longer run, some driver or .ini file somewhere has been erased by some other program.

I work with a lot of smart-smart guys and a few smart-dumb guys.
Sometimes there is not much difference between dumb-smart guys and smart-dumb guys, but certain things will arrive where the differences are striking.

If you've ever tried to explain something to someone and they just can't seem to get it, even though they seem reasonably well groomed and bright eyed, and you are sure you know what you are talking about, and they are not even close to getting it, it's almost like you're speaking in a foreign tongue, -- chances are the person has a trailing dumb, they just don't have the horsepower, their brain just doesn't work all that well. A dumb smart guy will always be able to pick up on things, he is probably just too dumb to have figured it out for himself. His brain is capable, he just didn't have that application installed. A smart dumb guy has a bunch of apps that work well, but he doesn't have much room on his harddrive, he's short on RAM, and his CPU is a little slow. Some apps just won't run.

Tom
06-06-2007, 02:21 PM
How about bimbo/big uns? :lol:

JustRalph
06-06-2007, 02:48 PM
chicken............you have way too much time on your hands............. :lol:

GaryG
06-06-2007, 03:45 PM
chicken............you have way too much time on your hands............. :lol:I think he got into the cooking sherry as well.

BillW
06-06-2007, 03:49 PM
chicken............you have way too much time on your hands............. :lol:

Was thinking same thing - you need a vacation - see you in Vegas! :lol:

chickenhead
06-06-2007, 04:14 PM
oh man, you guys have me pegged too well. I DO need a vacation like mad...but don't get a real one until november. All work and no play makes the chicken go off on some pretty weird tangents.

I think I NEED some of that cooking wine, a gallon jug of Carlo Rossi would undoubtedly sooth my troubled mind....probably do a few other things besides.

DanG
06-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Chick,

Where does “ignorance is bliss” factor into your equation?

My last quote un quote “traditional” job, I supervised a guy who was the poster child of your Dumb / Dumb example. This poor soul was probably as genuinely happy as a person can achieve without being certifiable. Literally a completely clear head devoid of any malice or conflict.

Now…We have all known a few Smart / Smart types who have evolved to such a level that nothing in this imperfect world makes sense to them. They see every flaw as an illogical affront to their senses.

Somewhere between the two lies a quality human existence. If your grave stone mentions you treated your fellow man with respect, even if you’re the dumbest son of a bitch alive I say…

‘Salute my friend. :ThmbUp:

To finish on a selfish note, I would make a plea for more Dumb / Dumb gamblers to start betting into the New York / California pools.;)

chickenhead
06-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Hey Dan.

You know I almost went into that in my post, because I think it's a very important point. For me it's just an interesting way that I can understand myself and others abilities to do different things. Why can I do this so easily and he can't? Why can he do that easily and I can't? And I've noticed some patterns between people, and their abilities to learn things, just trying to find words to describe them.

But, and it's a massive but, that doesn't mean anything about your worth as a person, or even how successful you can be. The best CEO I ever worked for was a smart-dumb guy. Extremely successful, wily, crafty guy. The worst CEO I ever worked for was a smart-smart guy, he went bankrupt and lost his life savings, just terrible. And so far as dumb-dumb guys, we all know some dumb dumb guys that are wonderful.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's not at all meant to be a value judgement.

BillW
06-06-2007, 05:03 PM
The contrast of the philosopher v. the pragmatist (big-uns :lol: ) is thought provoking. :ThmbUp:

Steve 'StatMan'
06-06-2007, 09:33 PM
How about bimbo/big uns? :lol:

The REALLY dumb-dumb guy thought bimbo/big uns was the bravest little hobbit of them all.

YouTube and search engines are amazing. For both Good and Bad/Stupidity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2HQ1K7YyQM

Tom
06-06-2007, 11:01 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

Steve 'StatMan'
06-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Phewww! Thanks Tom! Was worried I really reached too far for that one. Maybe the most awful visual aid helped. I can sleep easier tonight! LOL!