PDA

View Full Version : Now my word processor is effin with me..

JPinMaryland
06-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Jeezus, more f'd up shit... You know how when you want to delete something you highlight it and then you hit DELETE or SPACE BAR or just RETURN?

I used to do that all the time, now freakin word processor MSWord refuses to do that! I have to highlight Right Click and then CUT in order to delete stuff like this.

The delete key still works by itself, but not when you highlight the passage. This is weird, has anyone had this problem?

Gibbon
06-06-2007, 01:01 AM
JP,

I'm not mocking you. However, you sure do have a lot of computer problems. It seems to be rapid fire one right after another.
Your problems are minor but system wide. You may have to bite the bullet and reformat.

I suspect your registry is in disarray.

You can buy a 40,60,80 gig USB hard drive on the cheap at your local electronic retailer.

Save your important data and F-Disk (http://www.computerhope.com/fdiskhlp.htm), reformat (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348) from scratch. Nothing like a clean install of windows to kill the gremlins in your machine.

chickenhead
06-06-2007, 01:24 AM
it took you making 100 posts for me to figure out who you are...I'm slippin'.

You got over your hissy fit I guess.

Gibbon
06-06-2007, 01:46 AM
.....You got over your hissy fit I guess......No. Just accepted reality.
Life isn't always fair.
Nothing I can do about it.

??Curious signature line - Noah??

chickenhead
06-06-2007, 01:50 AM
well welcome back in any case.

I lifted the Noah Rule from Buffet. Who knows who he stole it from.

KYJACK
06-06-2007, 09:34 AM
The delete key still works by itself, but not when you highlight the passage. This is weird, has anyone had this problem?JPinMaryland

I tried a Google Search with these keywords: microsoft word "delete key"

Is this your problem?

"I am truly technically challenged, so forgive how fundamental this question is. I have recently started using Microsoft Word 2000, previous word perfect user. When editing a sentence I normally block and push the delete key on my keyboard. The delete on the keyboard is not deleting the text. I have to use the edit "cut" icon. When I attempt to use the keyboard delete key, a message appears on my toolbar... Delete block? No (Yes). I cannot access this new icon, and it goes away when I use the "cut" icon. How can I activate the delete key on my keyboard? Also, the block and delete (from the keyboard) method works when I'm editing e-mails. It just doesn't work when I'm in the Word, word processing program."

If so, go here for the answer:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Microsoft-Word-1058/block-delete.htm

and/or Here:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Microsoft-Word-1058/Delete-confirmation.htm

and/or Here:

Delete key not working on highlighted text
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=210098&messageID=2200691

and/or Here:

"For some reason the delete button in Outlook and Word no longer works...if I highlight text, click delete, nothing happens...I have to use the backspace key to get rid of it. I don't have a clue on why or how this happened...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated."
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=210098&start=0

if not, and no other ideas here, always remember to try the Google search www.google.com (http://www.google.com/). Odds are 9 out of 10 times, you'll find the answer!

Regards!

Jack

JPinMaryland
06-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Yes, KY, that is pretty much the problem and I will check out those links thanks

Normally I would say why not google it first? But with an issue like this I find it much more easier to just post it here and get feedback. It is much easier to sift through posts that are on pt. than to generate 500,000 hits on a google search and sift through them...

But thanks for doing that. :ThmbUp:

I dont know if the machine is acting up or just coincidence, the files that got lost were not really needed and Ive never had that problem before. THe thing with the bookmarks on IE was annoying but does not seem to hav happened again...

JPinMaryland
06-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Besides their often a user here who had the very same problem and is much easier for him to recall rather than sift through a pile of data.

In my case the answer turns out to be: Under TOOLS>OPTIONS>EDIT then check the box for "typing replaces selection"

SO maybe someone else will can use this in the future.

Thanks again to everyone even those playing Guess the Mystery Poster.

bigmack
06-07-2007, 07:52 PM
No. Just accepted reality.
Life isn't always fair.
Nothing I can do about it.

??Curious signature line - Noah??
Hey Gibbs - You oughta mozy on over to the Paris Hilton thread. Who knows it could become as lively as the AN Smith clam bake.

Gotta hand it to ya. Your last sign off was rich.

Gibbon
06-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Macky, I do have some pithy expressions on that fine specimen of womanhood but alas me thinks silence is golden.

JP, in the future, all Microsoft apps have build in help files. You can access them quickly by pressing the F1 key. A key word or two and you should be in business.

JPinMaryland
06-08-2007, 01:53 AM
I have had really bad experiences with help files. They almost never help. Googling it and find a user group or just asking people in your virtual community usually works far more effectively.

Usually with HELP you have some basic question, some question so basic that's it not even in the index of help topics and makes you think: what the fuck is the problem? Either I'm retarded or the people who designed this have no clue as to what the user is doing.

Or else, the answer is there but it's under some different heading so you no one can find it.

Like that time a few months ago when the word processor starts putting out shaded horizontal lines across my paper every so often. ANd you hit return and it adds three more of them. And you hit delete and it jumps over a paragraph and winds up on another para. Oh sure it's obvious TOOLS>AUTOCORRECT>BORDERS.

Yeah try finding that in a Help file. I'm sure its there under autocorrect, which would be great if I knew what the connection between autocorrect and shaded horizontal lines is.. :bang:

dutchboy
06-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Be careful making changes to an electronic document. Every change at any time ever made can be viewed by the recipient. If you change it 100 times all of those can be viewed by the recipient.

Gibbon
06-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Excellent point.

Meta data is deeply inbreed in all Microsoft office apps.
Although, Corel's Word Perfect office (latest ver.) does have the option to
somewhat control meta data.