PDA

View Full Version : Ruffian

parimutual
06-05-2007, 05:59 PM
I find it interesting that Pletcher will enter Rags to Riches in the Belmont the same day ABC TV airs its movie celebrating the great Ruffian. I know the filly has shown brilliance in the past and hope she continues to do so. Ruffian was in a class by herself. Saturday, Rags to Riches has a chance to be mentioned in the same sentence as Ruffian as I'm sure some of the press will do. Good luck to her and I'm sure I'll enjoy the movie.

bigmack
06-05-2007, 07:08 PM
RMoss article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/columns/story?columnist=moss_randy&id=2892898

GaryG
06-05-2007, 07:17 PM
I will watch it but it will be very difficult. What a fine filly she was.

blind squirrel
06-05-2007, 07:20 PM
I will watch it but it will be very difficult. What a fine filly she was.
i read a great book about RUFFIAN,"BURNING FROM THE START"...hard
to come up with a happy ending on this legend.

cj's dad
06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
i read a great book about RUFFIAN,"BURNING FROM THE START"...hard
to come up with a happy ending on this legend.

Burning From the Start is no longer in print but it can be found on the net.

Absolutely great !!:)

parimutual
06-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Bigmac:

I appreciated the link to the Moss piece. I read it with great interest. Great insight on the times. I also agree with others who have read "Burning from the start" that it is a powerful story. My wife couldn't finish it.

46zilzal
06-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Here PP's looked something like this

1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 brokedown

Never headed...

bigmack
06-06-2007, 12:52 PM
The reviews of the film are rough:
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20070606_Stan_Hochman____Someone_please_put_Ruffia n_biopic_out_of_its_misery.html

jotb
06-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Hello all:

I just read the article about the lawsuit. Did anybody else read this on the home page.

Joe

Wiley
06-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Joe,
I read the lawsuit article and it sounds like Nack and Disney/ESPN did not get Whitley and Vasquez's permission to use their actual images in the movie so from this, the way I gather it the producers/writers did not use their first hand accounts of the actual events, something I can see as a problem in the production thus as Mack's review link points to a less than glowing review of the movie. ESPN can/could clear this up by including a note about this image detail in the credits like in many other movies but chose not to, thus the lawsuit. My take on it.

PaceAdvantage
06-07-2007, 02:38 AM
I just watched the footage of Ruffian breaking down (they showed a clip of Ruffian in the Barbaro documentary currently airing on HBO -- it's very well done by the way)....I did not realize, and don't think I remember ever reading that Ruffian also injured her left front leg as well....you can clearly see her left front looking like it has at least a very serious suspensory injury (kind of like the one suffered by Holy Bull). They even have what looks like a cast on the left front leg as they lead her onto the ambulance....but all you ever read about is the shattered right leg (obviously, the more serious injury).

I just found that interesting....

DrugS
06-07-2007, 03:09 AM
Here PP's looked something like this

1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 brokedown

Never headed...

While she may have all 1's in her form---she was in fact headed in a race.

In the Sorority Stakes her 2-year-old season---next seasons Test Stakes winner Hot And Nasty clearly put a neck in front of her between calls, and arguably had a nose on her at a pole...but Ruffian turned back her bid through the stretch.

Anyway, the "never headed" thing is techincally a myth....but what a true superstar she was.

cj's dad
06-07-2007, 06:10 AM
[QUOTE=
Anyway, the "never headed" thing is techincally a myth....but what a true superstar she was.[/QUOTE]

I believe that the "never headed" was referenced in "Burning From The Start" in this manner - "Never headed at any point of call" prior of course to the breakdown !

DrugS
06-07-2007, 06:46 AM
I believe that the "never headed" was referenced in "Burning From The Start" in this manner - "Never headed at any point of call" prior of course to the breakdown !

First of all, let me congratulate you on the fine achievement of siring and raising CJ.

You're correct about that...however, I don't believe it is true.

I just watched the race again, and though it didn't seem as clear-cut and obvious as it did when I first watched it years ago---you will see Hot N' Nasty head Ruffian between 0:52 to about 1:02.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k26CVuvWtTE

It may look as though they are almost stride-for-stride during that stretch, but the camera angle favors horses inside through that part of the race....just as it favors horses on the outside through deep stretch. People who watch a lot of quarter horse races are really familar with that.

Not trying to take anything away from Ruffian--she was spectacular, however, I believe she was headed in the Sorority.