PDA

View Full Version : Funny Side to Race at Finger Lakes - July 4th!

hbeck
06-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Purse hike lures Funny Cide

By DAVID GRENING Officials at Finger Lakes have reached an agreement with the connections of Funny Cide to raise the purse of the Wadsworth Memorial Handicap from $50,000 to $100,000 in order to lure the 2003 Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner to the western New York facility.

The Wadsworth, a dirt race run at 1 1/8 miles, will be run July 4. It is believed to be the first time a Kentucky Derby winner will race at Finger Lakes. The decision to raise the purse was finalized Monday, said Finger Lakes president and general manager Chris Riegle, who had ongoing talks with Jack Knowlton, head of the Sackatoga syndicate which owns Funny Cide.

"We've known Jack for a couple of years," Riegle said. "We had a couple of Funny Cide promotions before and he was interested in bringing the horse here."

Funny Cide, who has won 10 of 37 starts and banked more than $3.4 million, has not won since taking the Grade 3 Dominion Day Handicap at Woodbine last July 1. He has lost his last six starts, including a third-place finish in the Wagon Limit Stakes at Belmont on May 18.

On Sunday, Funny Cide worked five furlongs in 1:00.46 at Belmont Park.

BeatTheChalk
06-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Purse hike lures Funny Cide

By DAVID GRENING Officials at Finger Lakes have reached an agreement with the connections of Funny Cide to raise the purse of the Wadsworth Memorial Handicap from $50,000 to $100,000 in order to lure the 2003 Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner to the western New York facility.

The Wadsworth, a dirt race run at 1 1/8 miles, will be run July 4. It is believed to be the first time a Kentucky Derby winner will race at Finger Lakes. The decision to raise the purse was finalized Monday, said Finger Lakes president and general manager Chris Riegle, who had ongoing talks with Jack Knowlton, head of the Sackatoga syndicate which owns Funny Cide.

"We've known Jack for a couple of years," Riegle said. "We had a couple of Funny Cide promotions before and he was interested in bringing the horse here."

Funny Cide, who has won 10 of 37 starts and banked more than $3.4 million, has not won since taking the Grade 3 Dominion Day Handicap at Woodbine last July 1. He has lost his last six starts, including a third-place finish in the Wagon Limit Stakes at Belmont on May 18.

On Sunday, Funny Cide worked five furlongs in 1:00.46 at Belmont Park.

I presume that the horse is sound .. but why in theee world put him thru
this. It isnt for the money ( I hope ) Maybe FC just likes to work and run.
I hope so. It just .. something doesnt make sense.

NY BRED
06-04-2007, 07:40 PM
this horse wins close to 3 million, and the bull crap that he loves to race
(and lose) continues.

An honest owner would have retired this horse at least a year ago,
but what the hell, ship him to FL and let him again prove he should be
retired.

I'm praying for heavy rain that day, for the good of the horse.

saratoga guy
06-04-2007, 08:01 PM
.. but why in theee world put him thru
this.

An honest owner would have retired this horse at least a year ago

I continued to find it head-scratchingly confounding to hear race-fans jump into these kinds of discussions by implying that somehow racing is inherently bad for horses. "Put him through this"?!? Yikes. It a horse race -- and he's a racehorse!

Eventually they can slow down and need to move in against lesser competition -- but what's wrong with that?

Ron
06-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Why wouldn't they race Funny Cide until he's 15? Some of you are against racing 2 year olds, 3 year olds and 6 year olds....what is a good age to race a horse?

michiken
06-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Will Mountaineer be next ? :jump:

Tom
06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Ahem.
*cough*

Did I not predict this about a year, maybe two, ago? :cool:
Sooner or later, we get ALL the NY Breds.

I will be there that day, for sure.
Anyone up for an early Toga at the thumb?

July 4th, I can almost promise a bar-b-que, clowns, a dixieland band, ballons,
long lines, and......decent racing for a holiday card.

Dereck...are you lurking?
Drinks at DP's after the races?

I'll take some photos of the big guy, hopefully winning, and post here.

fouroneone
06-04-2007, 10:56 PM
This is GREAT news. That region supported FC more than anywhere else, and it is great that he will get a chance to run infront of his home fans....win or lose. Expect a huge jump in attendance for this :)

PaceAdvantage
06-05-2007, 01:26 AM
I continued to find it head-scratchingly confounding to hear race-fans jump into these kinds of discussions by implying that somehow racing is inherently bad for horses. "Put him through this"?!? Yikes. It a horse race -- and he's a racehorse!

Eventually they can slow down and need to move in against lesser competition -- but what's wrong with that?

A little mind boggling isn't it? People bitch when a horse DOESN'T run (like Street Sense, or Afleet Alex, or Smarty Jones), and now they bitch when a horse DOES RUN, like Funny Cide.

You can't win.....:lol:

rrpic6
06-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Will Mountaineer be next ? :jump:

Good Idea! There are some nice 75-100K Stakes races on the West Virginia Derby undercard on August 4th.

rastajenk
06-05-2007, 06:27 AM
I think this kind of thing should have been done a long time ago. I realize it's Finger Lakes because he's a NY-bred; but I've always said (because it's so much easier to say than to do) that if I had a Derby winner, I'd try to barnstorm around the smaller venues, running for appearance money or trying to set track records, and hopefully in the process becoming the people's champion in a Seabiscuit kind of way. Especially if I had a gelding.

"Will Mountaineer be next ?" Hope so. Then Thistle, River, Ellis, Prairie Meadows, and on out to Sun Ray and Emerald. Of course, the effect would have been greater before he was over the top and in need of every excuse out there, but still, if they run him, people will come.

Tom
06-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Actually, the Wadsworth has had it's share of good horses over the years. And 100K purse is no slouch. FL has seen a lot of of good ones, too - Groovy held the record for 6 for years.

alysheba88
06-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Comparing Funny Cide to horses retiring at three is not a fair comparison.

I have been 100% in favor of him running over these past several years. Even when he was just barely competitive in the grade 3's. But now I say enough is enough.

I know every time you send a horse out he/she can break down. Imagine if FC breaks down in one of these races? And dies on the track? What kind of image does that send. Most importantly, the horse has won a ton of money for the connections. Has brough them much fame and publicity. They need to do the right thing and take care of the horse here and let him enjoy his retirement. I do believe horses enjoy running and I dont believe at all FC is "suffering" or even aware he is losing or has any concept what winning is.

If he was still competitive in stakes races I would be all in favor of running him. But I think enough is enough now. And going back to my first point I dont think anyone suggests that horses, especially Derby winners, need to run forever. Wanting a top three year to run at four is a little different than what we are talking about here. The top three year olds that retired early were still at the top of their game. In some cases still improving. Think most realize this is not the case here and FC will never be a grade one animal again.

cj
06-05-2007, 07:41 AM
The horse could certainly win a $100,000 race. Who are we to tell the owners they can't try?

alysheba88
06-05-2007, 08:30 AM
The horse could certainly win a $100,000 race. Who are we to tell the owners they can't try?

Because we are human beings capable of having opinions.

No one is talking about arresting the owners and taking away the horse. Just expressing an opinion

NY BRED
06-05-2007, 09:12 AM
sorry , but I don't understand your logic.

Street Sense entered the first two legs of the triple crown with the
objective of sweeping all three races.

If the owners truly didn't want to run in the Belmont, why did they run in the Preakness?

Funny Cide running at Finger lakes, in my opinion, is like sending
Joe Torres to manage a minor league team next year.

If Funny Cide was not gelded, do you really believe he would still be racing?

My point is this horse has lost the will to win, and the right thing to do is retire him before he is injured or worse.

ryesteve
06-05-2007, 10:06 AM
They need to do the right thing and let him enjoy his retirement. I do believe horses enjoy running
Well, which is it? Do they enjoy running or enjoy retirement? If we take you at your last word, then let him enjoy continuing to race. Why does he need to still be performing at peak level? In what sport is an athlete expected to retire as soon as they hit the downside of their career?

ryesteve
06-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Funny Cide running at Finger lakes, in my opinion, is like sending Joe Torres to manage a minor league team next year.
No, it's more like an all-star sticking around to the point where he's an old man who only gets to pinch hit once in a while and maybe gets to start a game once every couple of weeks. Awful, isn't it? Go tell Julio Franco he has to retire immediately.

Zman179
06-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Funny Cide running at Finger lakes, in my opinion, is like sending
Joe Torres to manage a minor league team next year.

Right, and have you ever noticed that when a big league star makes an appearance at a minor-league game (i.e. coming off of injury rehab) that attendance at those events skyrocket? Big names bring out more people.

This is very good for Finger Lakes and Upstate New York racing, highlighted by the fact that the connections reside Upstate. It'll bring out the fans to the track. You might look at FL as being one step away from the glue factory, I look at it as connections racing their champion in front of a "hometown" crowd.

alysheba88
06-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Well, which is it? Do they enjoy running or enjoy retirement? If we take you at your last word, then let him enjoy continuing to race. Why does he need to still be performing at peak level? In what sport is an athlete expected to retire as soon as they hit the downside of their career?

You dont think it can be both? You dont think I can enjoy working and still want to retire and enjoy that?

I am trying to be balanced. Ill explain.

You have the horse race haters who say horse racing is cruel sport. From what I have read horses enjoy running and racing. At the same time from what I have read horses enjoy relaxing out in a big farm/open area running around, relaxing and what have you. At this point I think he deserves the latter. I dont think the horse is miserable running.

As far as what sport is an athlete expected to retire as soon as they hit the downside of their career, I think basically ALL OF THEM to answer your question. I could fill up this forum with examples. At least when it comes to stars. Rightly or wrongly thats the way it is in virtually every other sport. Did Joe D right the bench at the end of his career? I will bring up an obvious point but one that needs mentioning. Athletes choose to keep playing, horses dont have the choice so humans need to look out for them.

alysheba88
06-05-2007, 10:26 AM
No, it's more like an all-star sticking around to the point where he's an old man who only gets to pinch hit once in a while and maybe gets to start a game once every couple of weeks. Awful, isn't it? Go tell Julio Franco he has to retire immediately.

Julio Franco was never the toast of the sport. Julio Franco chooses to play. Julio Franco is earning money supporting his family. There are many more differences between the two, FC has become more like the Bela Lugosi/Ed Wood version

ryesteve
06-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Julio Franco was never the toast of the sport. Julio Franco chooses to play. Julio Franco is earning money supporting his family.
Funny Cide was lucky enough to get really good during 2 weeks in May when he was 3. He was never that good before or after. Franco was an all-star for several consecutive seasons, and a lifetime .300 hitter, until he was 46. And unless he totallly sucks at managing his finances, I seriously doubt he's still playing for the money.

alysheba88
06-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Funny Cide was lucky enough to get really good during 2 weeks in May when he was 3. He was never that good before or after. Franco was an all-star for several consecutive seasons, and a lifetime .300 hitter, until he was 46. And unless he totallly sucks at managing his finances, I seriously doubt he's still playing for the money.

You are comparing a human to a horse. But putting that aside, winning the Derby and Preakness is far more than Julio Franco accomplished from an historical perspective

I dont know what Franco's motivations are, I dont begrudge him hanging on. He is making a choice. I doubt you will see Derek Jeter doing the same or A Rod

jognlope
06-05-2007, 11:08 AM
There is no reason to retire Funny until he shows he cannot, from health problems such as his breathign or back problems in the past, or will not. With the last race he was 11 lengths in the lead but got caught because 1 1/2 miles is too much for him. Ya know, on another site they say oh poor FC, they should retire him. But Tagg knows best. I don't think the owners pressure him. Tagg does exactly what he wants and he's a smart old-fashioned, caring, meticulous trainer. Tagg was dead against sending FC to Lonestar for that miserable 95 degree Breeder's Cup and flaky track, and very upset about it. He loves Funny.

jognlope
06-05-2007, 11:11 AM
The only thing that may be wearing on Funny is if he's not an alpha horse and each time he races he gets that feeling of having to be one when he's not .... or having to go through holes and veer from his striaght on gun it style ... and it wears on him and stresses him psychologically.... maybe you who are more experienced know more about the psychology of racing and how it wears on a horse.

Bruddah
06-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Here are the facts: The partnership has all ready expensed out and divied up the horses $3 mil plus winnings. Funny Cide now gets to run in a $50k race paying $100k to help bankroll his pension. The Track ownership gets a big crowd and is hoping to make more than the xtra $50k it is adding. This is not Rocket Science people!

Now if they can find enough to run against him for 2nd thru 5th money, the race is on!

ryesteve
06-05-2007, 11:51 AM
I doubt you will see Derek Jeter doing the same or A RodOf course not... they'll be too busy visiting nightspots and banging strippers... oh wait, they're already finding time for that now...

Tom
06-05-2007, 11:54 AM
The Wadsworth used to be 100K if I remember correctly - pre slots. Cut back when NYRA kept taking home all the money every year:rolleyes:

Hey, we gave up a G3 for the same reason.

But I predict a full field of at least 8 to go to post. Lots of locals here will not be scared off.

alysheba88
06-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Of course not... they'll be too busy visiting nightspots and banging strippers... oh wait, they're already finding time for that now...

Well FC would be doing the same if he wasnt gelded.

Maybe George will geld Stray Rod

BeatTheChalk
06-05-2007, 02:57 PM

Racing is not inherently bad..of course you are correct. Moving
right along ... .. .. .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . :bang:

NY BRED
06-05-2007, 03:39 PM
since when do horses tell how they are feeling ?

Comparing Funny Cide to a human who can compete is totally illogical, as
this horse has been going backwards,not forward for the past year.

Shipping him to finger lakes as the "alma mater" of NYbred racing is absolutely
insane, as this track is a depository for cheap horses who couldn't make
it down @ aqu,bel, sar.

Want to compromise this argument, send the horse up to lead a post parade.

Fact is, anyone at FL is probably more interested in watching the horse LOSE
to a local horse than demolish the local field.

And if Mr Tagg does lose, shame on him for placing a former champion
in such a position.:mad:

Tom
06-05-2007, 04:10 PM
since when do horses tell how they are feeling ?
HORSES TALK - IT PAYS TO LISTEN.
Comparing Funny Cide to a human who can compete is totally illogical, as
this horse has been going backwards,not forward for the past year.

it down @ aqu,bel, sar. On the contrary, FL horses ship in and win at NYRA. And for the Wadsworth, you will not be seeing the lower class horses. IF FC is going "backwards" is it not logival to race him against lesser horses? The BC seems to be out of the question.

Want to compromise this argument, send the horse up to lead a post parade. Speaking for FL, NO THANKS.

Fact is, anyone at FL is probably more interested in watching the horse LOSE
to a local horse than demolish the local field. People will be out in force rooting for him. Yes, many will root for locals, and FC will have to beat them on his own.....And I assume there will another shipper or two.

And if Mr Tagg does lose, shame on him for placing a former champion
in such a position.:mad: It's a horse race.

I can't believe all this just becasue FC is coming to diner!

OTM Al
06-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Funny Cide is in pretty good health. As has been said, geldings can either run races or do crossword puzzles and they aren't so good at crossword puzzles (its hard to hold a pencil with a hoof). What he really needs is a race run around 6 or 7 AM as he seems to run pretty darn well in the mornings. I love him and am glad he is still running and he will probably once again be the only Derby winner still running come the end of the year. Nothing wrong with making the bucks on statebred races and there are certainly Gr 3s out there he can still win cause I've seen some pretty crummy ones the last couple years.

bigmack
06-05-2007, 05:06 PM
July 4th, I can almost promise a bar-b-que, clowns, a dixieland band, ballons,long lines, and......decent racing for a holiday card.
You had my interest until you mentioned the dreaded painted faced monsters. They've always frightened me.

My second greatest fear is long lines.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/not_funny.jpg

Pace Cap'n
06-05-2007, 05:30 PM
What if it is a long line of clowns?

bigmack
06-05-2007, 06:56 PM
What if it is a long line of clowns?
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/SmileySuicide.gifhttp://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/SmileySuicide.gifhttp://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/SmileySuicide.gif

Ron
06-05-2007, 08:00 PM
it down @ aqu,bel, sar.

Its still a $100k race. You have no problem with shipping the best three year olds to Pimlico every Spring?

jognlope
06-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Funny probably is a little worn out by afternoon, like me! I'm like him, I have strong adrenals and by the afternoon I'm a little pooped out....Well we all seem to love the guy and want what's best for him. :bang:

PaceAdvantage
06-06-2007, 02:04 AM
I know every time you send a horse out he/she can break down. Imagine if FC breaks down in one of these races? And dies on the track? What kind of image does that send.

Exactly. He could have broken down in the Derby shortly after the finish line. It's silly to think like this, in my opinion. It's fear like this that makes jockeys quit the game after a spill. Racing as a sport would end if this kind of thinking were taken to the logical extreme....

With that said, I see your point....

alysheba88
06-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Every time you send a horse out there is a risk/reward calculation.

I know you cant train (or live) in fear and not saying the number one reason to retire him is fear of breakdown. If god forbid he breaks down and dies at Finger Lakes you will have people screaming why was he running. Another black eye for racing. Needless death, and so on. Just dont see that much benefit to him running here, for the horse, connections or the game

Tom
06-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Of course it is good for the game.
How often do folks not in the major track get to see a star?
Would you be complaining if were running at Belmont on the 4th?
He will be facing softer competition, on a very good track - probably better than Belmont for him.
I tell you, the paddock will be PACKED for his race.
Watch it on OTB - youwill see a paddock view and a winner's circle view. It will be wall to wall people.

alysheba88
06-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Of course it is good for the game.
How often do folks not in the major track get to see a star?
Would you be complaining if were running at Belmont on the 4th?
He will be facing softer competition, on a very good track - probably better than Belmont for him.
I tell you, the paddock will be PACKED for his race.
Watch it on OTB - youwill see a paddock view and a winner's circle view. It will be wall to wall people.

And you think that will translate to creating more life long fans and larger handle?

(That was a question-not being a smart ass)

Tom
06-06-2007, 10:20 AM
It might.
Maybe some people who normally do not go to the track will go to see FC.
It certainly can't hurt the game.

ryesteve
06-06-2007, 11:12 AM
And you think that will translate to creating more life long fans
It'll probably create just as many as Street Sense would've had he run in the Belmont.

alysheba88
06-06-2007, 12:17 PM
It'll probably create just as many as Street Sense would've had he run in the Belmont.

Which probably isnt many. I dont know its hard to say. I mean the Smarty Jones Belmont was great. A great race, crowd, the whole bit. But dont think it did anything as far as creating life long bettors or increased handle in the future. Maybe some, but hardly earth shattering I would guess. Think the powers that be focus way too much on looking for a "horse" to "save" the sport

Indulto
06-06-2007, 03:25 PM
It'll probably create just as many as Street Sense would've had he run in the Belmont.Street Sense created plenty of new fans in the Derby. The problem is keeping them despite his Belmont defection.

Funny Cide obviously can't compete at the level he once could. His owners could run him in an allowance or optional claimer at BEL if all they wanted was to see him be successful. By running him at FL, both they and the horse will be treated as celebrities. If the horse is sound why shouldn't the owners run him wherever they think he has a chance to win and they can enjoy the experience, especially a well-attended one? IMO FC's connections are behaving like good sportsmen, i.e., running their horse at the highest level they are capable of when they are capable of running.

The only way thoroughbreds get to effect their own departure from the game short of physical injury is when -- like the original Indulto -- they refuse to leave the gate; disqualfying them from starting in any future wagering contests. That option is generally suicide for geldings.

ryesteve
06-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Which probably isnt many.
... which is what I was implying, tying this back to those who've been arguing that the Belmont defection is a devastating blow.

NY BRED
06-06-2007, 03:34 PM
in an attempt to bring closure, stop and think why Barclay Tagg is even
considering this Move.

If the horse was 100% would he ever ship to FL?

Has Tagg ever shipped a champion to FL in a 100k race ?

Granted, sound geldings should race if the Connections know and feel the horse
is sound, and has been running well in its previous races, which is simply not the case with F.C.

I believe this guy, based upon his 3 year old career, deserves a more dignified life for what he has done, as against this brainstorm.

railjunkie
06-06-2007, 03:34 PM
<Of course it is good for the game.
How often do folks not in the major track get to see a star?>
A star? Fading star at best and in reality a well known has been.

Tom
06-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Granted, sound geldings should race if the Connections know and feel the horse
is sound, and has been running well in its previous races, which is simply not the case with F.C.

I believe this guy, based upon his 3 year old career, deserves a more dignified life for what he has done, as against this brainstorm.

Why do you presume to know more about this horse than Tagg? I suspect you know notning about him first hand.

Tom
06-06-2007, 03:53 PM
<Of course it is good for the game.
How often do folks not in the major track get to see a star?>
A star? Fading star at best and in reality a well known has been.

Listen, we turned out in droves to see ZIPPY CHIPPY!
I drove an hour to see him race a harness filly.
You don't have any idea what us Finger Lakers will do!:lol:

You can't take away his winning 2/3 of the triple crown.
Al ot of people appreciate the stars of our sport. I am not looking to make money off therace, just to see this guy in the flesh.

That, and give Big Mack's address to the clowns. :eek:

alysheba88
06-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Why do you presume to know more about this horse than Tagg? I suspect you know notning about him first hand.

I dont understand your post. Here is what NYBRED said

"Granted, sound geldings should race if the Connections know and feel the horse

I believe this guy, based upon his 3 year old career, deserves a more dignified life for what he has done, as against this brainstorm"

There are two points here. One is the horse has not run well. Is Tagg the only one who can say if the horse has run well? Would you really argue he has run well?

The second point is an opinion (which I share) that the horse deserves a more dignified life. Since thats an opinion how is Tagg's knowledge of the horse relevant?

saratoga guy
06-06-2007, 06:20 PM

How many other champions has he trained?

For the record, Eclipse winners Groovy, Safely Kept and Not Surprising are among the horses that have raced at Finger Lakes.

...deserves a more dignified life for what he has done, as against this brainstorm.

How is running in a $100K stakes undignified?

saratoga guy
06-06-2007, 06:35 PM
One is the horse has not run well. Is Tagg the only one who can say if the horse has run well? Would you really argue he has run well?

There was virtually the same being said after his first three starts last year. He had come off a 2005 season where he was off the board in three starts and then began 2006 with a 7th in a stake, a second in an opt clm, and a 7th in a stake.

And the hue and cry was underway.

He then followed-up with a couple of stakes wins and some placings and earned well over $200K.

I'm guessing $200K+ probably put him well into the top 5% of t-bred earners last year.

Hardly seems undignified to me...

JustRalph
06-06-2007, 06:42 PM
The second point is an opinion (which I share) that the horse deserves a more dignified life.

A more dignified life? You have got to be kidding? He is a damn horse. He doesn't care what kind of life he has. As long as the food and water keep coming and he isn't in any pain.........he don't give a damn.......... :bang:

Is Finger Lakes that bad? You act like a hundred grand stake race is going to blemish his record...........I don't think he cares? The folks at Finger Lakes will damn sure appreciate viewing him no matter how well he runs. I have family up in that area and they were huge fans of the horse during his Triple Crown run. I am sure they will love to get to see him.

jognlope
06-06-2007, 06:43 PM
A friend who went to Woodbine last year said FC was feeling his oats, reared up and dumped the jockey. She had hemmed and hawed about retiring him to the point of being on my last nerve, but after that race, which she was afraid to bet any money on FC at all, afraid she wouldn't have enough gas money to get back to Ohio, said afterward, "I have to say. He sure loves to run." I watched a replay, he had it going that day, very nice fluid, long strides.

alysheba88
06-06-2007, 08:06 PM
I think they should enter him in Nathans hot dog eating contest next. He sure loves to eat. Will give the public something to see.

Maybe pony rides in Central Park. Just a horse anyway

NY BRED
06-06-2007, 08:33 PM
this is getting more bizarre

care to state how many people will be at FL, in the stands, looking at this
horse and how much money will be bet at the track on this race?

Are you aware this race was originally carded at 50k, and sackatoga added 50k to generate "interest".What does that say about the quality of this
race?

If the people at Fl want to see the horse, and the owners and trainer
don't want to risk a loss at fl, I'm sure they could send their school buses
and transport these admirers of Funny Cide and watch the horse run at
Belmont, where to date he is not performing quite well.

Or, Good old Jack could wait until Saratoga opens and fund a NY Bred
allowance race , which inmho would be more plausible, and bus the
FL FC fan club to Saratoga.

Better yet, he could send his 50k to the Rescue society in lieu
of the debacle.

bigmack
06-06-2007, 08:48 PM
That, and give Big Mack's address to the clowns.
I resemble that comment. Send your cards/letters & clowns to: 1313 Mockingbird Lane.

Personally, I always like Whoppers far more than a BigMac. Taste and anti-clown sentiment were defining factors.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/McDonald.gif

Tom
06-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Bizzare is the word.
We have a KY Derby winner still running and in good health, albiet past his prime. His owners are FL people a chance to see him perform seeing how the whole damn NYS Bred program would never have gotten where it is today if not for us.
Obviously, they are not looking to make a financial killing oin this race. They own a horse, enjoy the game, enjoy racing him, and believe it or not, talk to most anyone from NYRA who comes here to race and they will tell you it is a pleasant place to come to. A 100K race at FL is somehow less than a 40K allowance at Saratoga? BS.

chickenhead
06-06-2007, 11:02 PM
LITF ran at GG in a similiar event here, monies added to juice a $50K pot to $100K. It was a great thrill for the fans, and I don't remember anyone complaining about it. What's the big difference? Sounds like a good spot to me.

saratoga guy
06-07-2007, 01:45 AM
Are you aware this race was originally carded at 50k, and sackatoga added 50k to generate "interest".What does that say about the quality of this
race?

Where did you come up with this?!?!?!?

Finger Lakes raised the purse -- Sackatoga didn't add money to generate "interest". That's absurd!

But if it makes you feel better, profits from any Funny Cide merchandise sold that day will benefit the Finger Lakes Thoroughbred Adoption Program.

PaceAdvantage
06-07-2007, 03:08 AM
If the horse was 100% would he ever ship to FL?

What do you mean by this? Do you mean 100% as in 100% SOUND or 100% at the TOP OF HIS GAME? Two different meanings....

Yes, I think FC is 100% sound, or as sound as a horse his age can be....or else a trainer like Barcaly Tagg wouldn't be running him....

Tom
06-07-2007, 07:26 AM
$100k stakes might be his new game.

jognlope
06-07-2007, 07:38 AM
http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/pictures/files/1/4/9/8/7/FUNNYREARING.jpg

rastajenk
06-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Dreaming of Anna slipped into a 60,000 dollar race last weekend at AP, and was all out to win it. Maybe we should get on her owners to retire her, so as to preserve her dignity. BC winners shouldn't have to endure such humiliation.:rolleyes:

jognlope
06-07-2007, 08:32 AM
I think it's plenty dignified to race at FL. He's 7. If he did the race at 4 it wouldn't be so. He's semiretired and just taking it lighter.

Ron
07-02-2007, 11:48 AM
From the Funny Cide newsletter just emailed out:

IT'S OFFICIAL!

If you're willing to take a road trip, you can find Funny Cide on the Fourth of July at, of all places, Finger Lakes Race Track.

Funny Cide has been entered in the Wadsworth Memorial which has a $100,000 purse. Funny pulled 5th position of an eight horse race. Be sure to check out FunnyCide.com for results.

Wishing you all a Safe, Happy & Healthy 4th!!!

First among fans,
Jack Knowlton

Tom
07-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Well I'm sure taking the 7 mile road trip. :rolleyes:

Watch the video - winner's circle - if you can. I'll be behind him doing the moonwalk and waving to you all.:lol: I know right where to get to be in the photos and videos.

Horsefan
07-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Go Funnycide!:ThmbUp:
Funny Cide ready for Finger Lakes

Funny Cide, the 2003 Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner, completed preparations for his start in the $100,000 Wadsworth Memorial at Finger Lakes on Wednesday by working four furlongs in 47.80 seconds on Thursday at Belmont Park.

The work was the fastest of eight at the distance over a main track labeled good. It was also Funny Cide's sixth work since he finished third in the Wagon Limit, an overnight stakes here on May 18.

"Looks like he went good to me," trainer Barclay Tagg said. "He seems fine to me. I can't find anything wrong with him."

Alan Garcia was up for the work and will be aboard in the Wadsworth, a race which had its purse raised from $50,000 to $100,000 to lure Funny Cide.

I am still pulling for Funny Cide! Even though he brayshttp://boards.msn.com/Themes/default/emoticons/regular_smile.gif

“He won stakes every year of his life except as a 5-year-old,” he said. “He won a graded stake as a 6-year-old. No Kentucky Derby winner has ever done that before. And everybody still knocks him and knocks me.”

Now 7, Funny Cide remains in Mr. Tagg’s barn even though his best racing days are probably over.

“He’s happy as hell out there,” Mr. Tagg said. “He loves to gallop. He loves to breeze, and he loves the training. He loves to go out and roll in the sand in the afternoon, buck and kick and bray.”

jma
07-02-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't see how we can complain about horses retiring early, but then complain because Funny Cide keeps running. I agree he shouldn't be running in $10000 claimers, but as long as he remains healthy, why not send him out there? Obviously he's no superstar and really never was that brilliantly fast, but it's good to have a few past champions race for more than half of their 3-year-old season. I understand that it would be a black eye for racing if he broke down, but isn't that true for any racehorse? They're bred to run, I say let him run.

traveler
07-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Well I'm sure taking the 7 mile road trip. :rolleyes:

Watch the video - winner's circle - if you can. I'll be behind him doing the moonwalk and waving to you all.:lol: I know right where to get to be in the photos and videos.

Tom, Please avoid any "wardrobe malfunctions", ther may be women and children watching! :lol: :lol:

jognlope
07-02-2007, 05:02 PM
How about Evening Attire? John's Call. They don't get complained about.... Funny just shows up when he wants I guess ... sure hope he shows up Wednesday!! Tagg knows the horse.

Zman179
07-02-2007, 05:46 PM
I don't see how we can complain about horses retiring early, but then complain because Funny Cide keeps running.

Because there's only one thing that horseplayers love to do more than win, and that's complain. :rolleyes: Heck, sometimes after cashing, we even complain that we didn't win enough! :faint:

Bruddah
07-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Tom, be sure to wear the same outfit you are wearing in your avatar. It will help us, to recognize you. One monkey to another. :lol: ;)

Tom
07-02-2007, 07:20 PM
I'll be waving a large poser sized copy of the avatar. Serioulsy.

Horsefan
07-03-2007, 03:02 AM
His owners seem pretty reassured about his soundness and good mental attitude. I am going to trust them and his trainer. GO FUNNYCIDE!:)

Racing fans in western New York state have extra incentive to go out to the racetrack for Wednesday's holiday card at Finger Lakes.

Funny Cide, the Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner in 2003, is coming to the Farmington, N.Y., track for the 1 1/8-mile Wadsworth Memorial Handicap.

Track management, with the endorsement of local horsemen, agreed to double the purse of the Wadsworth to $100,000 in order to lure Funny Cide to upstate New York, where the former champion

3-year-old is extremely popular, according to Jack Knowlton, one of the six partners who make up the Sackatoga Stable which owns the

7-year-old gelding.

"We got a lot of support from New York state in general, but particularly from the Watertown, Syracuse, and Rochester areas," Knowlton said. "The more people that get exposed to a champion racehorse, the better it is for the game."

Chris Riegle, Finger Lakes president, said he expects a crowd of 6,000 to 8,000. In comparison, Finger Lakes drew about 4,000 people for its Memorial Day holiday program.

Although Funny Cide isn't nearly as fast as he was during his 3-year-old season and is winless in his last six starts, Knowlton said he feels the horse is far from finished.

"He's healthier and sounder than he's ever been," Knowlton said.

Citing a four-furlong move in 47.20 seconds on Thursday, Knowlton said: "Just look at his works. His last workout was not only a bullet, but the second-best work that day was by Invasor. Everything he shows tells us he still wants to be a racehorse."

Knowlton said the right level for Funny Cide these days appears to be races with purses between $75,000 and $100,000, preferably at 1 1/4 miles.

According to Knowlton, Funny Cide would have returned to Woodbine to defend his title in the Grade 3 Dominion Day, but since the Canadian track has switched to Polytrack and the gelding ran poorly over a similar surface this spring at Keeneland, that option was ruled out.

One other out-of-town race that Knowlton said looks appealing is the $100,000 Kelso, a 1 3/16-mile race at Delaware Park on Sept. 29.

As for the Wadsworth, the only real threat to spoil Funny Cide's visit looks like Johnie Bye Night. A

5-year-old who is 4 for 4 at Finger Lakes, Johnie Bye Night won last year's Wadsworth by leading wire to wire. He stretches out off an easy win in the George W. Barker May 28.

NYPlayer
07-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Barclay, Knowlton and Company have gotten a lot of mileage out of good ol' FC. He won the '03 Derby and Preakness, and made most of the money he can in the big leagues. Since geldings are pretty much worthless if they don't earn purse money, why not race him? After all, he's still eating and racking up expenses. There's no need for him to be laying around the barn while there are bills to pay.

Finger Lakes is the perfect place for this NY bred gelding. He can run for these listed stakes, and maybe ship out once in a while. Then, when he's given all he can in minor stakes, he goes to the claiming ranks at last. And finally, when he's run his last furlong, he's goes to a well deserved place in Horse Heaven.:rolleyes: In the meantime, he'll be loads of splendid entertainment for the upstate fans.

jognlope
07-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Nice quotes.... if anything being the center of controversy forces you to be a little bit eloquent...

"As long as he is happy and doing what he likes to be doing, there is nothing demeaning about it," Smullen said Friday from Belmont. "If you turn him out in a field and let flies get all over him and let him run up and down a fence line all day, that's demeaning. Yes, it's Finger Lakes, but it's a $100,000 stakes race and he will be well-received. Win, lose or draw they will all love Funny because everyone does."

Funny Cide has won 10 of 37 career starts, the last one coming in the Dominion Day Stakes at Woodbine in July of 2006. Since then he has raced six times with no wins although he was third in his past two starts.

"We're all getting a little older and we're not as spry as we used to be," Smullen said. "I just hope he runs well and comes out of it well and lives to fight another day."

Jose Santos was part of the team in 2003. He rode the gelding to the Derby and Preakness wins and then was aboard when he finished third in the Belmont. He was associated with Funny Cide more than anyone but would eventually lose the mount.

Santos, who is recovering from injuries from a February spill, said he will watch Funny Cide's race on the OTB network.

"It doesn't matter where you run, the horse just needs to win a race," Santos said Friday. "$100,000 is a lot of money. He just has to build up his confidence. I'll be rooting for him. He is never going to be out of my heart. He is the horse who gave me the thrill of my life."

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2007, 01:13 AM
Finger Lakes is the perfect place for this NY bred gelding. He can run for these listed stakes, and maybe ship out once in a while. Then, when he's given all he can in minor stakes, he goes to the claiming ranks at last. And finally, when he's run his last furlong, he's goes to a well deserved place in Horse Heaven.:rolleyes: In the meantime, he'll be loads of splendid entertainment for the upstate fans.

It's sarcasm and attitude such as this that has fueled the early retirement of so many greats these past years, and produced a fundamental shift in the breeding and racing industry.

Racing is no longer the focus, it's simply a necessary burden, as are the fans and bettors, obviously.

Bitch when they retire early, and then bitch when they race too long.

Zman179
07-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Attendance: 11,400. Second largest ever in FL history (since 1962.)

Ron
07-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Funny Cide wins!

I'm looking for Tom!

Zman179
07-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Wow! First time I've ever heard a roar during a race at Finger Lakes...and I've been betting it since 1982! :ThmbUp:

Premier Turf Club
07-04-2007, 05:00 PM
It's sarcasm and attitude such as this that has fueled the early retirement of so many greats these past years, and produced a fundamental shift in the breeding and racing industry.

Racing is no longer the focus, it's simply a necessary burden, as are the fans and bettors, obviously.

Agree 100%. My position is as long as they are sound and you're not running them for a tag let them run as long as they are competitive and seem to enjoy it.

I wouldn't drop an old class horse in for a tag once he proved he couldn't run in stakes company. At that point, I'd retire him.

Stevie Belmont
07-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Right on dude.....Right on.

this horse wins close to 3 million, and the bull crap that he loves to race
(and lose) continues.

An honest owner would have retired this horse at least a year ago,
but what the hell, ship him to FL and let him again prove he should be
retired.

I'm praying for heavy rain that day, for the good of the horse.

Tom
07-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Just got back from the track - I can't remember the last time I saw FL that crowded! Not only the parking lot was full, the FIELD was full!

At 3:330 pm, there were still hundreds of people going in.
It was very much like Travers day at Saratoga - you could pass out and not hit the ground. They even had golf cart shuttles bringing people in from the nether regions ( an idea Toga could well look at!)

Funny Cide looked really good, and when he came out to the track, there was a standing O and cheering like I've never heard here. You could tell the old boy was ready to race.

He ran a nice race, sitting in 5th, unhurried, moved professionally into third on the turn, swung out and glidded past the leaders apparently effortlessly. And the horse on the lead - loose on the lead - was no slouch, having won this race last year and several other stakes recently.

Press coverage included at least 4 TV channels I saw.

All and all, the "Pride of NY" as he was introduced, did not disappoint.

I went there with Achilles, and as we drove around looking for a parkig spot, I remarked ,"Wow! I'm glad he didn't win the Triple Crown - we'd never get in the place!" :lol:

tomcalta
07-04-2007, 10:24 PM
I am glad these owners are still running him. He's a 7YO sound, gelding racehorse; he's doing what he was born to do. Had he been fighting continous injuries and risking a breakdown I would have a differnt opinion. These owners should give him lots of rest between races and keep a tag off his back (out of respect) and find him a new job in a year. **Continuing his career at the track is good for the sport.**

Tom
07-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Around 12,000 people agree with you......second highest attendence in history - going back to 1962.

BTW, at FL, parking and admission are always FREE. Including today.
Not bad a minor track, huh?

jognlope
07-05-2007, 08:15 AM
I was so happy. It had started out as a rotten day. My computer fell on the floor and now can't read hard drive. But I thought FC kinda likes a mushy track and I had a good feeling. When he won I was so happy! The day just turned bright! I was watching his stride -- long and fluid. Thanks for the post by you who was there!!

ghostyapper
07-05-2007, 09:24 AM
This whole notion of it being cruel running funny cide as a 7 yo because he's not the same horse is utter nonsense. I understand he's a derby winner but he can still take home pay checks

I'll admit there are some races where funny cide looks like he just doesn't want to be out there (2005 suburban, 2006 woodward) but I think thats got more to do with his personality rather than his age.

Evening attire's 9, better talk now 8, the tin man 9. All of these horses are still competitive every race. Compared to those horses funny cide is a youngster

tomcalta
07-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Totally agree.

Great FC quote:
Kenny Mayne, prior to 2003 Belmont Stakes: "Other than being castrated, things have gone quite well for Funny Cide."

Ron
07-05-2007, 10:31 AM
They've always scratched Funny when its too hot, even when we all came out for the Travers. They're taking good care of this horse.

NYPlayer
07-05-2007, 06:39 PM

I ain't bitching about anything. I'm just pointing out the economic realities. Let's face the facts. They're running him as a 7yo for bit purses (compared to Derby and Preakness). Racing as a 7yo is more risky than running him at 4 and 5, but if your plan is to make some money and avoid expenses that's what you have to do. I'm guessing the risk doesn't matter to them. If he goes down in a race while in their care, it'll be because of a "bad step" like Barbaro. Suddenly, he's front page news again and that could mean movie rights. If he races another couple of years and can't compete in minor stakes, then there's one sure way to get rid of him while grabbing some purse - claimers.

I hate to sound so cynical. Thinking they actually cared about the horse I went to funnycide.com. From there I followed a link to Sackatoga Stables, and from the Q&A the following:

"What is the investment opportunity? Answer: Shares are available for a minimum investment of $10,000. Most horses will have a syndication price of between $130,000 and $200,000, with typical partnerships consisting of 10 to 15 investors. An investor may purchase multiple shares. Investment in a thoroughbred racehorse is not for the faint of heart. The value of a thoroughbred racehorse is based upon its performance in races and its expected ability to perform in future races. The single most important factor in a racehorse’s career, if it proves to be talented, is the animal’s ability to withstand the training regime and remain healthy throughout its racing career. Therefore a horse´s “investment value” can fluctuate greatly. At Sackatoga Stable LLC we have created a model designed to initially protect our investors from the high annual costs associated with training a thoroughbred racehorse. The initial capital contribution covers the purchase price of the horse (or horses) purchased as well as all expenses through the third quarter of the horse’s two-year-old year. This is designed to coincide with the time that the horse would normally begin to race and earn purse money. It is our goal to acquire horses that will begin to cover their expenses through purse earnings by the second half of their two-year-old year. In the event that a horse does not completely cover expenses, expense allocations are billed quarterly based on an investor’s pro-rata share of ownership."

See? No one wants to pay any bills. That's why he's running - plain and simple. Doesn't look like there's going to be a "Funny Cide Farm" anytime soon does it?

Zman179
07-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Diogenes would have been proud.

PaceAdvantage
07-06-2007, 02:54 AM
I ain't bitching about anything. I wasn't necessarily pointing that at you, as lots of people bitch when horses retire early, as well as when they are perceived to be "running too much."

If he goes down in a race while in their care, it'll be because of a "bad step" like Barbaro. Suddenly, he's front page news again and that could mean movie rights.Good thing you hate sounding cynical, cause you're doing way too good a job right now....I couldn't imagine what would happen if you LOVED sounding cynical....

In any event, each horse is an individual. Barclay Tagg is a very conservative trainer, so Funny Cide has that going for him...I wouldn't worry too much about him....not EVERY horse breaks down you know....in fact, I'd venture to say that MOST horses do NOT break down....

But from the way some talk, you'd think a breakdown and/or death was inevitable the longer you race.

Tom
07-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Chart of the Wadsworth.....Pride of NY, Funny Cide

Cratos
07-07-2007, 02:06 PM
This whole notion of it being cruel running funny cide as a 7 yo because he's not the same horse is utter nonsense. I understand he's a derby winner but he can still take home pay checks

I'll admit there are some races where funny cide looks like he just doesn't want to be out there (2005 suburban, 2006 woodward) but I think thats got more to do with his personality rather than his age.

Evening attire's 9, better talk now 8, the tin man 9. All of these horses are still competitive every race. Compared to those horses funny cide is a youngster

..............and did not the great Forego run until he was an 8yo