PDA

View Full Version : Epsom

parimutual
06-03-2007, 12:25 PM
I was more than impressed with "Authorized's" Epsom Derby. Did any one else come away with the feeling that he can be one of the greats of all time. I also noticed that the win pool was greater than 600K when making a wager through youbet. Where did all that money come from? Here in the states?

gIracing
06-03-2007, 01:11 PM
I was more than impressed with "Authorized's" Epsom Derby. Did any one else come away with the feeling that he can be one of the greats of all time. I also noticed that the win pool was greater than 600K when making a wager through youbet. Where did all that money come from? Here in the states?

I dont' know about that, but I know if he comes to the US for the BC that's who I'm going with in the turf.

IMHO you have to question who he beat. I'm not that high on european racing.. right now it takes a backseat to American, Australian and even Asian.. the quality is better. Just look at the Dubai world cup day. Two countries dominated the entire event.. America and Japan

but that is a damn good horse, probably the best thing to come out of there since Oujia Board

Zman179
06-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Where did all that money come from? Here in the states?

If I'm not mistaken, the lions share comes from South Africa.

samyn on the green
06-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Then you have to consider the Breeders Cup. Europe ships in from across the ocean and completely dominates the turf races every year. Red Rocks was a 2nd string 3 yo and he blasted the best turf horses in the Turf. Then Ouija board completely outclassed multiple Grade I winners in the F & M version. The 2005 turf featured a all Europe superfecta. Do not sleep on the European drug free masters on the turf. I dont' know about that, but I know if he comes to the US for the BC that's who I'm going with in the turf.

IMHO you have to question who he beat. I'm not that high on european racing.. right now it takes a backseat to American, Australian and even Asian.. the quality is better. Just look at the Dubai world cup day. Two countries dominated the entire event.. America and Japan

but that is a damn good horse, probably the best thing to come out of there since Oujia Board

parimutual
06-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks ZMAN for the South Africa info. If I wager on international events through youbet the bulk of the parimutual pool is international money? I'm a bit confused. Can anyone shed light on this subject.

gIracing
06-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Then you have to consider the Breeders Cup. Europe ships in from across the ocean and completely dominates the turf races every year. Red Rocks was a 2nd string 3 yo and he blasted the best turf horses in the Turf. Then Ouija board completely outclassed multiple Grade I winners in the F & M version. The 2005 turf featured a all Europe superfecta. Do not sleep on the European drug free masters on the turf.

you are 200% correct.

But right now the best racing in the world, at least on the turf is going on in Asia, not europe.. and for whatever the reason may be, they don't or haven't shipped to the US.. maybe because of the melborne cup being around the same time.

I'll give you that... The cream of the crop on the turf from the US can't touch the cream of the crop from Europe with a 100 foot pole most days. But at least right now, both bow down to what's going on in Asia/Australia.. at least on the turf.

On the dirt, it's a different story

gIracing
06-03-2007, 10:32 PM
the way I understand it is there are different pools. I know it was on Dubai world cup day.

gIracing
06-03-2007, 10:33 PM
I also say that Ouija Board is probably the best turf filly we will see in a long, long time. I loved that horse

Zman179
06-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks ZMAN for the South Africa info. If I wager on international events through youbet the bulk of the parimutual pool is international money? I'm a bit confused. Can anyone shed light on this subject.

The pool is based in South Africa. What happens in this instance is that an American wager is converted into South African rand and entered into the pool. If the American wager proves to be a winner, then the winning amount in South African rand is then re-converted into American dollars and then paid out to the winning bettor.

Example:
$2 US = R14.2634...money placed into pool
Horse wins at 3/1 odds.
Winnings in SA rand: R57.0536 -> reconverted into USD: $8.

Regardless whether the pool is located, or what type of currency is being converted, the same principles apply to all.