PDA

View Full Version : The Californian

how cliche
06-02-2007, 02:10 PM
This race looks quite competitive. There's three I believe can win. AP Ex has a perfect record on the track. Boboman fits the R. Mandella winning worktab profile to a T. If I was to peg one however, I'd favor #2 Saint Stephen for a few reasons. He's won over the cushion track & at the distance in what I view as his best race on the page. Victor's won with some other horses in the field, including AP Ex, but opts to ride Saint Stephen(for the first time?). On paper, the shape of the previous win here looks similar to today's setup. Another factor that's a bit touchy is how Bute is legal in California. Older horses who regularly race in Bute free states sometimes move up on their return to CA. Note how he moved up here in the before mentioned race over the course when given the B. Saint Stephen is narrowly my top choice in a tough race.

Here's the pp's if anyone else wants to post their choices and/or reasons.

http://www.delmarracing.com/racinginfo/pp/pdf/070602.pdf

DJofSD
06-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Is Kip Deville really coming back in a week?

how cliche
06-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Is Kip Deville really coming back in a week?

I noticed that too DJ. Yes he is, but I don't like him at all.

Robert Fischer
06-02-2007, 02:53 PM
some opinions on some of the key horses-

Very tough race! great for handicapping, tough tough race!

A. P. Xcellent - Should set the pace. I'm not crazy about this horses appearance, but you can see he has the long "snout" look from the Danzig/A.P. Indy mix. Sheriffs has gotten a lot out of this one recently. He has a small chance of hanging on and winning, but he doesn't seem to like to step up in company. I am guessing he falters here. Interesting horse.

Kip Deville - everyone got a little over excited about this one, but I still do not understand why the 6-1 morning line?? He is supposedly a grade1 turf miler. His last race was supposedly just a bad luck trip. He should be the favorite or second choice here.
Not really sure what to expect, he may run a one-paced race, or he may take over and continue to kick away in the stretch.

SUN BOAT - mike mitchell , pedigree, style

Jack's Wild - Longshot, Blanc has gotten response last 3 times.

Buzzards Bay- He really got stopped in the gate last out and still did some running. He could run these off the board, but I expect him to fire better early, and flatten out late.

Boboman - Mandella is nearly over-training this one. They tried him twice on the dirt in a speed favoring track, now they are going blinkers. Maybe it is just bad form and a tough surface?? He loves the cushion track. I am leaning against him although he has a chance to win. Maybe 8-1

danmurphy jr
06-02-2007, 04:37 PM
#8 Wilko 15/1
#3 Porfido 20/1

Tee
06-02-2007, 07:43 PM
2/1 on Boboman - I don't have the same confidence as others.

I'd rather take the current 7/2 on Buzzards Bay.

Tee
06-02-2007, 07:59 PM
I'll give Saint Stephen a shot at a placing based upon how he looked in the post parade.

Be interesting to see how Kip Deville runs. He should enjoy a much better trip & improved chances than he did Monday - no excuses today?

Tee
06-02-2007, 08:03 PM
2/1 is just not right!! :)

Very nice effort by Sun Boat.

Robert Fischer
06-02-2007, 08:42 PM
:ThmbUp:

Robert Fischer
06-02-2007, 08:48 PM
I didn't think the trifecta would pay that much with Buzzards Bay figuring prominantly. Should have played it.