PDA

View Full Version : Border guards practicing medicine now...

Tom
06-01-2007, 09:10 AM
This is very disturbing…..a guy is flagged as a health risk, the warning comes up on the monitor – stop this person and notify public health officials. So what does the border guard do? “He looked OK to me so I let him go!” DUH!

This is supposed to be homeland security, border security?

This is a bad joke, and puts suspicious on every single border checkpoint in the country.

This, IMHO is a national emergency. Our security is not working and troops should be placed at every crossing immediately. Then a real investigation must be held – not one run by the government, but one run by a competent organization.

I have no doubt terrorist all over the world are taking notes today.

“Note to self, copy Allah – infect myself with small pox, fly to Canada or Mexico, and walk into the Devil’s Home. Cough on everyone.”

This is exactly how 9-11 happened – some public service flunky fails to do his job.

We need to start prosecuting people who screw up in those positions. This guy should be sent to Gitmo for a few months of intensive interrogation to ensure he is not part of some bigger plot. A message must be sent that even this obviously incompetent class of worker can understand.

If this is what they are calling national security, Chertoff should be fired immediately.

One small consolation – he was not able to get any firecrackers past border security.

boxcar
06-01-2007, 09:51 AM
the inmates are running the asylum.

Boxcar

GaryG
06-01-2007, 10:05 AM
When I am in charge they will be practicing marksmanship.....:jump:

46zilzal
06-01-2007, 11:25 AM
where would the "terrorist" get the virus to become infected with in the first place?
"the WHO certified the eradication of smallpox in 1977.To this day, smallpox is the only human infectious disease to have been completely eradicated from nature, although recent reports there have been a few isolated cases in Asia reported by the Times of India."

chickenhead
06-01-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm sure Russia has all nasty bugs catalogued and kept safe somewhere.

46zilzal
06-01-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm sure Russia has all nasty bugs catalogued and kept safe somewhere.
from Wikipedia
Cultures of the virus are kept by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States and at the Institute of Virus Preparations in Siberia, Russia. (While scientists certified it eradicated in December 1979, WHO formally ratified this on 8 May 1980 in resolution WHA33.3) Smallpox vaccinations were discontinued in most countries in the 1970s.

chickenhead
06-01-2007, 11:47 AM
am I the only one that finds it odd that this guys father-in-law is a microbiologist at CDC?

Sounds like a Michael Chriton novel to me....in fact I think it was a mC novel?

Tom
06-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Russians have it.
And they are chest pounding again. Must be the people there are finally getting fed up with repeated government failure and they need to play to thier base.

Beside, SP was just an example. Who know what else is out there. WHO?

Who knows?
WHO.
Yes, who knows?
WHO.
That's what I'm talking about!
WHO!!!
ME!!!!!
:lol:

Tom
06-01-2007, 11:51 AM
am I the only one that finds it odd that this guys father-in-law is a microbiologist at CDC?

This gets curiouser and curiouser.
And add to it the anthrax stuff and that one guy with a connection who attacked the press, too. Hmmmmm.

I did like his father's comments about "uninformed anchor desk suspicions." :D
Especially as theyc ame back from the clip, Wolf Blitzer - as uninfomed as anyone, was doing just that!:p

46zilzal
06-01-2007, 11:53 AM

studying what disease? Mycobacterium tuberculosis

There are bovine strains that cross species. Wonder if they know if the strain the son-in-law has, came from the same material as the researcher. There are ways of testing the genome to find out.

The problem with these infections is that the adapt to antibiotic therapy particularly if the treatments are not on a regular continuing basis as many of the strains in Russian prisions have become immume to the standard antibiotic cocktails.

Tom
06-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Well that certainly gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling! :eek:

If only Lindsey Lohan was immune to them as well! :lol:

bigmack
06-01-2007, 12:47 PM

That was my immediate thought. You talk about irony. "Say Dad, it turns out I have a rare form of TB. Don't you work with strains of that stuff at work? If this is about that time I wrecked your car when I was 17, I said I was sorry"

46zilzal
06-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Here are some in the current cocktail.

JPinMaryland
06-01-2007, 02:39 PM
This might be a tad more interesting if you could explain who the "guy" is. You've gone all off on his father, etc. and there's no reference to the story.

Hard to follow.. :confused:

Tom
06-01-2007, 02:42 PM
You haven't heard about the TB guy on the news?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18945879/

Greyfox
06-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Yes. He was in another country.
But why wasn't he quarantined immediately? (Without even being able to think about travelling or leaving the country.)

If I was diagnosed in Portland, say, of this strain,
would I be allowed just to leave my Doctor's office and go home?
46 Z do you know?

skate
06-01-2007, 03:41 PM
just think, all it takes to put a stop to the shebang, get out and vote.:eek:

that 'll show em;) , now we are gettin some where:rolleyes:
all you have to do is Believe:blush:

skate
06-01-2007, 03:43 PM
But why wasn't he quarantined immediately? (Without even being able to think about travelling or leaving the country.)

46 Z do you know?

i doubt they knew(how serious), until he was already in Italy.

46zilzal
06-01-2007, 03:47 PM

46 Z do you know?

Depends, if it is the milliary stage where the patient is exhaling active bacilli, ANYONE breathing in for awhile will be exposed. I once treated a lady with that stage and had to double glove and wear a special mask.

kenwoodallpromos
06-01-2007, 04:07 PM
I already knew the Feds have never been very good at containing disease, illegals, criminals, or whoever happens to be the opposition party!LOL!!

Tom
06-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Let's all chip in and get him to run as a democrat - the debate is coming up in a couple days! :lol::lol::lol:

ljb
06-01-2007, 06:52 PM
the inmates are running the asylum.

Boxcar
Now your starting to get it.

Greyfox
06-02-2007, 04:37 PM
This story is getting murkier.
Reading in the New York Times public health officials in Fulton County, Georgia
knew of this man's illness, before he left the country. For shame.

"Steven R. Katkowsky, director of the Fulton County Department of Health and Wellness, said in an interview that the county had little power to detain Mr. Speaker, but insisted that they could not have made their warning more clear."

So they didn't detain him. He went to Greece, Italy and Canada.

Shouldn't health authorities have the power to detain individuals carrying highly communicable diseases?

Full story at: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/02/health/02tick.html?ei=5065&en=0aea3eb1378e363a&ex=1181448000&adxnnl=1&partner=MYWAY&adxnnlx=1180797564-VOmQo3ZDU8BV6hlXWvhpjQ&pagewanted=print

JustRalph
06-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Shouldn't health authorities have the power to detain individuals carrying highly communicable diseases?

They do. But it takes 2-3 days worth of legal procedure..........unless they can get cooperation from local authorities........and they didn't seek it. They thought he would heed the warnings..............shame on them...........

Greyfox
06-02-2007, 11:46 PM
They do. But it takes 2-3 days worth of legal procedure..........unless they can get cooperation from local authorities........and they didn't seek it. They thought he would heed the warnings..............shame on them...........

They(?) "thought"....
They thought wrong. Or they didn't think at all.
Agreed JR. Shame on them and whoever else is too chicken s(pl)it to protect us.
An inquiry is demanded, at the minimum. Heads should roll....

JustRalph
06-03-2007, 02:19 AM
They(?) "thought"....
They thought wrong. Or they didn't think at all.
Agreed JR. Shame on them and whoever else is too chicken s(pl)it to protect us.
An inquiry is demanded, at the minimum. Heads should roll....

reminds me of the judge that allows bail and then the guy disappears. I have seen it happen a ton of times. On everything from DUI to Rape.

betovernetcapper
06-03-2007, 11:59 AM
The Google links chance depending on the post. So if this is a thread about a car stopping there might be an ad for breaks-a thread about zoos might get a ad about kid's parks or animals. I was reading the first post of this thread and noticed the links at the top of the page and found this

http://www.dqeready.com/Item.cfm?ItemID=190&CategoryID=4&SubCategoryID=23

I know it's in bad taste, but this really cracked me up. :lol: