PDA

View Full Version : Street Sense passes BELMONT

john del riccio
05-31-2007, 11:30 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/85392.html

They mentioned the Haskell as a possibility....HARD SPUN should do the same. I think this shows the difference between Nafsger an Jones.

John

OTM Al
05-31-2007, 11:43 AM
I actually thought Hard Spun should have skipped the Preakness for this race. He is built for distance and is fast. He would not be a surprise to me in this one.

the_fat_man
05-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Good decision by the connections.

Running this horse back so soon against Curlin, on a track not suited to his running style, would mess with its psyche.
Curlin would've thumped him bigtime and what are they left with then.

Tom
05-31-2007, 12:48 PM
It's not real clear, but look at SS in my Preakness Velocity Chart. All the horses, even those badly beaten turn up slightly in the last segment because it is only 1.5 furlongs and I did not adjust for deceleration. But SS dives - no upturn at all, in fact, more of a plunge velocity speaking....and in a drive at 9.5.
I think he was more than all out - I think he has nothing left at this time.

Pell Mell
05-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Then again, if he did run in the Belmont and won, they would REALLY be pissed over losing the Preakness.:bang:

GaryG
05-31-2007, 01:43 PM
They are doing the right thing. That horse needs a rest. IMO a 12f race now could knock him out for several months.

JustRalph
05-31-2007, 03:23 PM
I actually thought Hard Spun should have skipped the Preakness for this race. He is built for distance and is fast. He would not be a surprise to me in this one.

after the Derby and Preakness.......... I look for him to Crash and burn........

NY BRED
05-31-2007, 04:11 PM
regardless of my previous posts, please explain why Nafzger waited until today to pass the Belmont.

If your horse has physical problems, if you are looking to run in another
stakes race etc., those decisions could have been made weeks ago.

Had S.S. won the Preakness, does anyone really believe he would have
opted out of the Belmont?

A "showdown" between Curlin and S.S. could have made the Belmont an exciting show, and for this reason, I am now rooting for Curlin to become horse of the
year.

Niko
05-31-2007, 04:34 PM
I know every horse is different, but why would Street Sense need any more rest than Curlin? They may have come out of the race differently, but otherwise it makes no sense to me

ryesteve
05-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Had S.S. won the Preakness, does anyone really believe he would have opted out of the Belmont?
Horses nowadays generally aren't asked to run in 3 grade I's over the course of 5 weeks. To put a horse through that requires a significant reason. "Almost" winning the triple crown doesn't qualify as one.

point given
05-31-2007, 05:09 PM
If Curlin had come in 2nd in the Preakness, is there any doubt that he would not run in the Belmont ?. Has anyone read of future plans for Curlin after the Belmont for the rest of the season ? Nafzger clearlly was not in favor of going in the Belmont having been down that road once before and come in 4th.

NYPlayer
05-31-2007, 09:02 PM
...Had S.S. won the Preakness, does anyone really believe he would have
opted out of the Belmont?

No, but if he won the Preakness and then won the Belmont, he could retire! After losing the Preak, even if SS won the Belmont, the horse would still be on a mission.

JustRalph
05-31-2007, 09:24 PM
you guys ever consider the fact that his phone is ringing off the hook with offers for the horse? At what point does it become to risky to ever run him again? We may have reached that point..............

I bet the Sheik has phoned in his bid.............

Robert Fischer
05-31-2007, 10:22 PM
No one wants to face Curlin.

Curlin will not lose another 3yo race!

Kelso
05-31-2007, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=NY BRED]
please explain why Nafzger waited until today to pass the Belmont.
[QUOTE]

Nafzger says his horses train him. Perhaps he was waiting for SS to "say" something to him via his works?

NY BRED
06-01-2007, 02:11 AM
When you enter a horse for the Derby, and especially if you are an
old line trainer who once tried to win the triple crown, you
fully know the time frame and more importantly, want the opportunity
to prove you have the real goods.

If, in fact you are correct, then why enter the Preakness, a meaningless
race, in fact one to avoid if you aren't, shooting for the triple crown or
the Belmont.

The owners of Curlin could have reasoned the same way after the
derby and waited for the Belmont, and yet they chose to enter and win the
Preakness and are running in the Belmont, which they also could have avoided
and opted fro the Travers or Haskell.

I'm not certain S.S. will have an easy time in the Travers and
winning the Haskell means little compared to the Belmont, unless
you are using the race as a prep for the Breeders cup.

I'm annoyed that Nafzger didn't stick to his original plans
not to run in the Belmont, as against "reconsidering" his options.

bigmack
06-01-2007, 02:43 AM
Good decision by the connections.

Running this horse back so soon against Curlin, on a track not suited to his running style, would mess with its psyche.
Curlin would've thumped him bigtime and what are they left with then.
Good thing they didn't adopt that thinking of yesteryear. It'be a whole different historical perspective we'd be looking at

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/boldr.jpg

john del riccio
06-01-2007, 04:07 AM
Good thing they didn't adopt that thinking of yesteryear. It'be a whole different historical perspective we'd be looking at

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/boldr.jpg

Horses just aren't as sound as they once were....It was more of a sport than a business back then and soundness issues were more often treated with rest than injections. Not to mention how the breeding industry has changed the game as well.

John

bigmack
06-01-2007, 04:21 AM
Horses just aren't as sound as they once were....It was more of a sport than a business back then and soundness issues were more often treated with rest than injections. Not to mention how the breeding industry has changed the game as well.
Yeah, well kids rode down the street in the midst of traffic without helmets and folks walked out of their houses without locking it.

More of a sport than a business? I'll take the sporting aspect.

As for breeding, it's a mess with the exception of the Irish.

ryesteve
06-01-2007, 11:14 AM
The owners of Curlin could have reasoned the same way after the derby and waited for the Belmont, and yet they chose to enter and win the
Preakness and are running in the Belmont, which they also could have avoided.
The incentive to run Curlin is that a win probably places him at the top of the 3yo pecking order. Street Sense is already there, thus no incentive to milk an extra race out of him.