PDA

View Full Version : SPEND A BUCK

karlskorner
12-05-2002, 10:54 AM
Spend a Buck was a Calder horse, having won 3 of his first 4 races as a 2 yo at CRC. He ran the 4th fastest time for the Kentucky Derby (Secretariat, Northern Dancer and Monarchos were faster). He skipped Pimlico and Belmont because Bob Brennan offered a $2 million bonus to the horse that could take the Cherry Hill Mile, Garden State, KD and Jersey Derby.

Upset the officials of Churchill, Pimlico and Belmont so much they set up the Triple Crown bonus for $5 million.

Instersting sidebar: Cam Gambolati, trainer of Spend A Buck claims he never got one new client because he won the Kentucky Derby

cj
12-05-2002, 10:57 AM
I was at the Cherry Hill Mile and the Garden State Stakes, truly amazing performances. He beat a Maryland horse named "I Am the Game" in both races, winning by double digit lengths with consumate ease. How this horse was 5-1 (I think) in the Derby still astounds me. Speed figures were not public knowledge back then, but his were huge going into the Derby...120ish if I remember correctly, with noone else ever cracking 110.

CJ