PDA

View Full Version : Private Jets and their use by Senators

highnote
05-31-2007, 02:29 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070531/ap_on_el_pr/clinton_iraq;_ylt=AvHcxTXod.jcFn7SjnRKLOWtOrgF

Sen. Clinton defends private jet travel By KATHLEEN HENNESSEY, Associated Press Writer
Wed May 30, 11:07 PM ET

LAS VEGAS - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said Wednesday that she followed all Senate rules when she accepted rides on a private jet from a longtime benefactor.

"Whatever I've done, I complied with Senate rules at the time. That's the way every senator operates," the Democratic presidential contender said in an interview with The Associated Press during a campaign stop in Las Vegas.

I don't have any problem with business people paying for private jet flights for Senators. It's probably less of a security risk than flying commercial. Plus, Senators are busy people, so they can be more productive. ETC ETC ETC.

But I didn't like the answer Hillbillary (That's a term of endearment. So don't go getting your knickers in a twist.) gave when asked about her private jet usage...

Sen. Clinton, who complained about corporate America's largesse and skyrocketing executive pay during campaign events Wednesday, said she did not believe her message was undermined by her acceptance of the private flights. In line with Senate rules then in effect, Clinton's campaign has said she reimbursed Gupta at the cost of a first-class flight, typically a significant discount off the expense of a private jet.

"Those were the rules. You'll have to ask somebody else whether that's good policy," she said.

Why can't she answer whether or not it's good policy? It's not a difficult question and she's using the jets. Apparantly she thinks it is good policy otherwise she wouldn't use it, would she?

These are the kind of remarks that turn me off from a candidate. I'm a Democrat and I have considered voting for her. But this kind of response shows that she doesn't think well on her feet, IMHO. And it's a big turnoff.

I'll keep an open mind, but I'll be watching these candidates like a hawk.

Tom
05-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Many of those things they talk about only apply to US, not THEM.
Like All Gore's carbn footprint. We call that hipocracy, not democracy.

JustRalph
05-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Private Jet travel can give them an advantage over their counterparts. That is why it is wrong. It should be considered a donation that has to be paid back by their campaign. Paid in full. Not a first class ticket