PDA

View Full Version : They're going where???

andicap
05-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Well in a few months I'll be handicapping the UK way. It's official -- we're moving to Devon, a county in South West England and living in a town called Barnstaple. My wife got a job nearby and we've always wanted to see what it was like living abroad.
Leaving in late August so will be at Saratoga for the two weekends of the PA trip. (about five or six track days.)

Nearest track is Newton Abbot, about an hour away as far as I can tell and there are three bookmakers in town. Five hours difference with East Coast tracks will make betting on 1 p.m. races tricky (dinner hour) so I might have to concentrate on the mid-late afternoon tracks (Fair Grounds, Oaklawn, Chicago, LA, NoCal, etc.) and even try and dive into the dreaded nighttime tracks.
Good news I can play Pinnacle legally. I've heard Betfair can be a snake pit though, but I'll check it out anyway. Suggestions welcome!

But for those who are wondering why we would really leave the U.S. -- well :)

Top 10 Reasons We’re Leaving U.S. to Live in a Small U.K. Town

1. We’re the “family to be named later” in David Beckham exchange.
2. Need to know if Stonehenge is 18 feet or 18 inches tall. (OK, you've had to have seen "Spinal Tap" to get that one.)
3. Dashing and dynamic Gordon Brown is in charge, not stuffy Tony Blair.
4. Teach daughter real story of “War for Independence.”
5. Yankees? Feh! Go Chelsea!!
6. Embarrassed living in country occupying Iraq. (read sarcastically)
7. Zoning laws mandating one pub for every three families.
8. Holidays at Fawlty Towers.
9. In a word: Marmite.
10. As only Jews in town, can teach Brits difference between a “shmegegge” and a “shmendrik.”

PaceAdvantage
05-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Wow! Now we're going to have to throw you a going-away party at the Spa as well! :lol:

Seriously, Congrats on the new opportunities!

Tom
05-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Congrats, Andy....great opportunity for you and your family.
You deserve it, man!:ThmbUp:

WJ47
05-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Wow, I'm envious! :) England is such a beautiful country. I'll bet you are going to love it there.

Hajck Hillstrom
05-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Holidays at Fawlty Towers.
10 fine reasons to envy the move.... but number 8 rings loudest....

....and a send-off from the Spa!

We will expect reports.....

Dan Farley's perspectives will become as much a staple as bangers and mash.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck

Dave Schwartz
05-30-2007, 06:41 PM
. Teach daughter real story of “War for Independence.”

Andy,

I'd go light on explaining this one too loudly in merry old England.

You know, you're gonna need a new sense of direction. (At the races, that is.)

Best of luck to you.

Dave

andicap
05-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Andy,

I'd go light on explaining this one too loudly in merry old England.

You know, you're gonna need a new sense of direction. (At the races, that is.)

Best of luck to you.

Dave

Actually I meant teaching her the British version. There are two sides to every story you know. :) The War of 1812, in which we got killed, is probably a bigger part of the curriculum than it is here. :D

cj's dad
05-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Way to go Andy,

Been to all of Central America and most of So. America:Belgium,the Netherlands,Ireland and England. I had the best time of my life other than here in the USA. England, and I think i know why, are much like us, although the women are not as HOT !!!!

See you in Saratoga !!!:)

cj
05-31-2007, 04:46 PM
We'll have to hook up. You won't be very far away at all.

andicap
05-31-2007, 08:12 PM
I thought you were leaving soon...

cj
06-01-2007, 04:00 AM
It is still up in the air. It is possible I will be here until May 08, but no longer.

Hosshead
06-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Hey CJ, do people ever talk about that huge UFO incident they had there some years ago?
Have you ever talked with anyone in the military about it ?

andicap
06-01-2007, 08:26 AM
It is still up in the air. It is possible I will be here until May 08, but no longer.

Ah, then we'll definitely have to hook up --

Greyfox
06-01-2007, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=andicap]Well in a few months I'll be handicapping the UK way. :)

QUOTE]

Good luck to you.
I was in England in 1996. The good news was that every race seemed to be coordinated. One track went on the hour, the next 10 minutes after, the next 20 minutes after, the next 30 minutes after. The racing was coordinated.

The bad news was the extremely limited information available to the bettor.
Since then you can apparently obtain Time Form numbers. But for the most part it was just going on the Punter's reasons, earnings, jockey changes, and previous attempts at distance and class. No chance of any pace handicapping.
I would have gone bonkers trying to win regularly there.
Maybe more info is available today.

JustRalph
06-01-2007, 01:50 PM

is that your punchout.........or another move?

cj
06-01-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm over 22 now, so it is up to me. It won't be any later than next year. My next move will be my last. :)

JustRalph
06-01-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm over 22 now, so it is up to me. It won't be any later than next year. My next move will be my last. :)

Good for you!!!