PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping Books

kosti
05-29-2007, 10:41 PM
First of all, I would like to say hellp to everyone, I just joined the forum and so far I've read lots of interesting things. I would rate my handicapping as better then novice, a weekend bettor. I've read Beyer on Speed and found it amazing, it helped my handicapping progression ten-fold. I've also read Speed to Spare and found it a waste of time and confusing, way too much personal experience than true handicapping methods in the book. I want to become more versed in handicapping horses and I've looked at a long list of books about the topic, but all say that they are the best, and must have's. I figured experienced players as yourselves will have their favourites or at least help guide me in the right direction so I'm not wasting my money on trash. I'm looking towards books from within the last 10 years so that they're up-to-date, although speed to spare is over 15 years old I think and still proved deadly. I've also just purchased Exotic Better by Crist and just browsing through it it seems really interesting.

Thanks for the Help

Greyfox
05-29-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm looking towards books from within the last 10 years so that they're up-to-date, although speed to spare is over 15 years old I think and still proved deadly. I've also just purchased Exotic Better by Crist and just browsing through it it seems really interesting.

Thanks for the Help

Hi kosti.

Welcome in. But it doesn't seem that you've explored this site far enough.
There is a huge number of references and an even larger number of
comments at the Forum on this site devoted to the Handicapping Library.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

kosti
05-30-2007, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the heads up, sorry for wasting the space!

Tom
05-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Welcome Kosti...you'll find a lot of unique orignal stuff here as well.
If you don't see it , ask. Someone will point you in the right direction.

kenwoodallpromos
05-30-2007, 12:26 PM
One of the best things about this forum is taking in all the opinions and anecdotes about using various programs, systems, and books.
IMO some books that are "dated" so not use very adaptable principals.

xciceroguy
05-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Anything by Andrew Buyer is pretty good.........

WJ47
06-01-2007, 05:21 AM
You should read everything that Andy Beyer wrote! Another must read is the Handicapper's Condition Book. :) I've got a bunch to read myself now that college is out for the summer. I just got that Match-up book that was being discussed on the Handicapping Library board. LOL, a person can never have enough handicapping books, even the bad ones are kind of good. :)

Tom
06-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Steve Davidowitz - Betting Thoroughbreds - lots of good information in there.

WJ47
06-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Steve Davidowitz - Betting Thoroughbreds - lots of good information in there.

That's a great one! I have the older one, I saw that it was updated on Amazon, I wonder if there is any good new information in the later version.

thelyingthief
06-11-2007, 12:41 PM
recreational handicapping by quinn is good;
winners file by kuck another useful introductory.

middle level works include:

sinatra, thoroughbred racing;
brohammer, modern pace handicapping;
quinn, the abc's of handicapping;
quinn, figure handicapping;
quinn, handicapper's condition book;
sartin, et.al., pace makes the race;
sartin, et.al., the followup and manuals (not obtainable through retail);
mitchell, winning thoroughbred strategies;
mitchell, common sense betting.

advanced works:

those, you write on the basis of your records.

DanG
06-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Hi kosti.

Welcome in. But it doesn't seem that you've explored this site far enough.
There is a huge number of references and an even larger number of
comments at the Forum on this site devoted to the Handicapping Library.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

I agree with Grey here Kosti...

30 minutes learning to navigate this site is time well spent.

I do admit a bias as a satisfied subscriber, but Ken Massa’s HTR newsletter archive is an amazing recourse and it’s free.

I’ll post a link…If its inappropriate as they don’t advertise here, please shoot it down.

http://www.homebased2.com/km/library.htm#newsletters

Couple quick thoughts…

I’m sure it was mentioned, but “Money Secrets at the Racetrack” by Barry Meadow is really a great foundation book into the realities of pari-mutuel gambling IMO.

I really believe as much ‘live experience as you can get is invaluable. Try and associate with serious players. Attend seminars / when the PA people (for example) congregate at Saratoga go out of your way to meet and greet.

Books are a wonderful resource as in an afternoon you can digest what it took a man a lifetime to accumulate. However, there is nothing like live interaction with real money changing hands to drive home valuable lessons and learn a gamblers instincts.

BOL

cj
06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
William Quirin's Thoroughbred Handicapping: State of the Art.
Andy Beyer's Picking Winners.
Dick Mitchell's Commonsense Betting.

Those are a few I'd recommend.

Tom
06-11-2007, 08:09 PM
That's a great one! I have the older one, I saw that it was updated on Amazon, I wonder if there is any good new information in the later version.

TONS of new stuff. Like two more new books inside.
Definately a major re-write.

Lots of new pace stuff.