PDA

View Full Version : Your smartest wager ever !?

cj's dad
05-29-2007, 07:29 PM
I would think that everyone on this site has made wagers that have produced large payouts. There are however wagers that we are most proud of due to the logic that went into the bet.

I wagered against Blushing KD several years back in the black eyed susan stakes on the Friday before Preakness. There was a 5 horse field and at the last moment, a bettor in Las Vegas dropped $500,000 to show on BKD. As I turned from the 2nd floor overhang at Pimlico and headed back to the windows, I overran Charlie Wittingham who was in town for a book signing, knocking him down. Proceeding to the windows, i placed a $10 show wager on the other 4 horeses, knowing that i was guaranteed a minimum return of $21 for a maximum loss of $19.

BKD ran last and the three show horses all paid in the area of $80 for a payoff of approximately $1200 !!

I did apologize to Charlie later, but he wouldn't let me buy him a drink :confused:

I've had bigger but none as satisfying. Eager to hear similar stories !!

banacek
05-29-2007, 07:30 PM
A show bet on a 3 horse race - only at a bush track! (no it wasn't Moose Jaw!)

gIracing
05-29-2007, 07:47 PM
smartest wager ever. A couple.

I racked up on Dubai world cup day. I couldn't believe some of the odds I was getting on some of the horses. I cleaned the bank with Vengeance of Rain.. all my late night watching of International races payed off.

As far as my my smartest wager ever, it wasn't that long ago.. about a month. My countless hours of stuying pedigrees finaally paid off when (I forgot the name of the horse) a filly by Strawberry Road tried the grass for the first time after 11 lifetime starts all on the dirt.. after doing the reserach, the trainer, without shipping to Gulfstream or somewhere out of his circut (was at hawthrone, and it explained why no turf races for the filly)... and it explained why horrendous finish after horrendous finish he wuldn't take her out of MSW company.. he was itching at the bit to get her on the grass... when she opened up at 5/2 off a 20 to 1 morning line, I had the biggest grin on my face... won for fun, paid $38 to win

Pell Mell
05-29-2007, 08:45 PM
CT, 2001, 1 1/8 race. The #8 had a 2nd at the distance 4 races back on the lead all the way, beaten a head with a jock I had never heard of. The jock was there to ride this horse and the #8 was the lone speed. I figured everyone would see this, especially the jockey move. I hooked the #8 with the chalk #3 in an exacta box and bet the #8 to win. The 8 led all the way into the stretch, got headed by 2 horses and came back at the wire to beat the 3. Exacta pd $375. and the 8 pd $165. to win. Couldn't believe it !:jump:

point given
05-29-2007, 09:19 PM
lemon Drop Kid over 5 horses in the Belmont including Vision and Verse. $1500. exacta

BC pick 3, single, single, all, catching Volponi in the Classic to cash a signer.

a couple of times, catching a $500 tri using a 3/5 on top , keying a 30-40/1 longshot 2nd and 3rd on a $8 bet.

LutherCalvin
05-29-2007, 10:44 PM
My second biggest score at the track was the filly Genuine Risk in the Kentucky Derby. I had seen the Wood Memorial and believed that Risk would have won that race too if she hadn't been interfered with by Angel Cordero's mount. The lodge of foul by Risk's jockey was disallowed, but I was convinced the filly was for real and bet her big in the run for the roses. Her payoff at the Derby was $28.60 for a deuce bet. I was present at Churchill Downs in the infield and the roar of the crowd as the horses entered the stretch drowned out the transistor I was listening to. Needless to say, Genuine Risk is my favorite thoroughbred of all time.

gIracing
05-30-2007, 01:23 AM
anyone remember a filly named Ashley's jojo?

raybo
05-30-2007, 10:04 AM
My smartest wager, acually it has happened more than once and I capitaized each time, was a 7 horse field that scratched to 5 by post time and they kept the superfecta. Needless to say, I wagered LARGE on the super. It was a cake walk.

I have had much larger profits from other bets but these situations are, by far, the smartest wagers I have ever made.

46zilzal
05-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Best money wise was War Emblem.

Most rewarding was the 1986 Breeder's Cup Turf: Manila. I had written an article for the Canadian Thoroughbred on European race tracks and noted that Dancing Brave would have a tough time with the short stretch at Anita as his only sub-par races in Europe had been on, relatively for them, shorter stretches. I had a shirt made up that announced: "Dancing Brave how do you like our turns?" and proudly showed it to Khaled Abdullah in the walking ring as I chanted Manila, Manila, Manila to the Whittingham entry. Most thought I was nuts until AFTER the race when several people took my picture.

Years later, this experience was printed in Perry Leftko's book "The Breeder's Cup:the Greatest Show on Turf" in the chapter called The Greatest Race.

startngate
05-30-2007, 10:58 AM
I have three. One winner, two finished second, but I still cashed big tickets:

The winner:

1) Sarava in the 02 Belmont. Read a story that Ken McPeek said he had been training incredibly well and he thought they were going to surprise some people. Ken doesn't normally talk like that, so off to the window I went.

The seconds:

1) Royal Heroine in the 84 Arlington Million. Was the first turf race I had ever seen in person. Only race I played all day. Spent the entire day hadnicapping that one race. Cashed big on her plus had the exacta with John Henry.

2) Qualify in the 86 Breeders' Cup. I loved him. He was my play of the day. He paid even more at Canterbury who was separate pooling that day. Also had the exacta with Capote.

boomman
05-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Mine is easy (and a lot of witnesses, as I accumulated an $800 bar tab in about 15 minutes at Farmington several years ago courtesy of the gate crew) when I caught Cat Thief at 400x1 in the future book when he won The Breeder's Cup Classic! (He paid 19x1 on track so a bit of an overlay LOL:D ) Pat Day was a guest here at Yavapai last summer and I thanked him in person!!! :)

Boomer

kid4rilla
05-30-2007, 12:25 PM
It was at least 5 years ago at CD. I'm on the old 5th floor balcony with a good friend of mine, when I see a 6 horse field in a dirt sprint with 10 year old Bet On Sunshine a huge favorite.

I notice the bridgejump amount in the show pool very early on, and start to explain to my friend what would happen if BOS happened to miss the board. I continue telling him about the times i'd seen it before, look over and see that he is long gone, missed most of my stories, and is already making a bee line to the windows for sure. He has never been one to need to much talking onto a horse or opportunity. Anyway, I wasn't saying that I was surely going to bet it because I was sure that BOS would at least place, but since he was already betting it, I felt obligated to join in the fun. There were some very hard knocking CD toughies in the race, so I gave it a shot.

Needless to say, a $10 show bet on all of the other entries netted an incredible score when BOS missed the board (4th I think). One of the horses paid $160 to show!!!!!

U.S. Jets won the race, and I had the exacta but the payout wasn't very memorable considering!

Dan Montilion
05-30-2007, 03:28 PM
I was watching a very tight finish to a great stretch long battle at GGF. A friend and I were discussing the race and how very, very tight the race was and how very game both horses were. Mind you saying nothing about the outcome, when the loudest fool at GGF comes up to me and says "you assholes can't call that photo, the inside won". My response was "the outside won it" Loud fool goes into a full blown fit and throws $200 on the floor and says "put your money on it" So I did, it was the safest bet I ever made. We were watching the replay after the race had been declared official.

cj's dad
05-30-2007, 09:53 PM
I was watching a very tight finish to a great stretch long battle at GGF. A friend and I were discussing the race and how very, very tight the race was and how very game both horses were. Mind you saying nothing about the outcome, when the loudest fool at GGF comes up to me and says "you assholes can't call that photo, the inside won". My response was "the outside won it" Loud fool goes into a full blown fit and throws $200 on the floor and says "put your money on it" So I did, it was the safest bet I ever made. We were watching the replay after the race had been declared official.

:lol: :lol: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

DrugS
05-31-2007, 03:54 AM
As I turned from the 2nd floor overhang at Pimlico and headed back to the windows, I overran Charlie Wittingham who was in town for a book signing, knocking him down. Proceeding to the windows, i placed a $10 show wager on the other 4 horeses, knowing that i was guaranteed a minimum return of $21 for a maximum loss of $19.

BKD ran last and the three show horses all paid in the area of $80 for a payoff of approximately $1200 !!

I did apologize to Charlie later, but he wouldn't let me buy him a drink :confused:

I've had bigger but none as satisfying. Eager to hear similar stories !!

I remember the race very well.

It would have been a great story had it been any random senior citizen you plowed over to get to the windows....but the fact that it was "The Bald Eagle" ---- that's priceless.

Albeit not my most lucrative, perhaps my smartest wager ever involved a similar situation. In an instance of a bridge-jump in a small field....you can ration your bets so you are assured a profit no matter what the outcome is. I've connected with it a few times....I call it the "bridge-jump counter play."

It's the only situation I know of in horse racing....where you can assure yourself of a profit no matter what the outcome is.

rrpic6
05-31-2007, 09:12 AM
I like these types of threads.:ThmbUp:

Earlier this year at Charlestown, a race was declared a non-wagering race when the gate malfunctioned, allowing one horse to get a huge head start and two others a minor head start. The horse that was the lucky one to be in the gate that opened first won easily of course.
A few weeks later, most of these same horses were running against each other again. The "lone speed" from the previous race was pounded down to 8/5. He was a toss of course. I just drew a line in the PP's from that race and boxed the next five logical ones in a tri. All five came in 1st thru 5th for a nice $800 tri. Too bad I did not play the super too, it was about $2500.

ryesteve
05-31-2007, 09:17 AM
Earlier this year at Charlestown, a race was declared a non-wagering race when the gate malfunctioned
I don't understand why this race wouldn't have been declared a complete no-contest. They actually awarded the purse money??

rrpic6
05-31-2007, 09:26 AM
I don't understand why this race wouldn't have been declared a complete no-contest. They actually awarded the purse money??

I'm almost 90% sure they did. It happened sometime in February i think. I'm hoping to look thru the replays on Winticket today to try and find the race, then go to Equibase to see if the purse was paid out.

Hajck Hillstrom
05-31-2007, 10:05 AM
I would think that everyone on this site has made wagers that have produced large payouts. There are however wagers that we are most proud of due to the logic that went into the betBack in the day....(pre-trifecta,superfecta,Pik4) I discovered a fine opportunity to cash large tickets was in the exacta pools by finding the vulnerable favorite and exploiting the opportunity with a logical double digit contender. Simply put the wheel and backwheel. The 1993 Arkansas Derby offered such an opportunity with Kissin Kris at odds of 15-1, and when Rockamundo won paying $210, my $6 backwheel paid more than $10,300. The best odds I ever received with this play was in May of 2005 in a little race in Kentucky with 20 entrants. Closing Argument was 75-1, but I managed to extract odds of 129-1.....to PLACE. I thought fair odds on this horse to be about 12-1, so I had to run the wheel/backwheel. The $38 wager yielded a $1 payout of $4,900, and the largest exacta in Kentucky Derby history.

Mark Cramer refers to the strategy in his book "Kinky Handicapping" in the chapter called Lecherous Betting in the sub-chapter The Red Light District. I think it may be the only time I have ever been referenced as a whore in print, but in this game, I can wear the title with a modicum of pride.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck Hillstrom

Hajck Hillstrom
05-31-2007, 10:11 AM
So I did, it was the safest bet I ever made. We were watching the replay after the race had been declared official.

William Murray's proverbial "Dead Crab."

This is the seasoning that gives our game flavor.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck

point given
05-31-2007, 10:51 AM

Where can I get an introduction to this gentleman ? We need more people like him at the race track . ;) hilarious !

Kelso
05-31-2007, 09:33 PM
at the last moment, a bettor in Las Vegas dropped $500,000 to show on BKD

CJ's Dad,
How did you know about the off-track bet? Does the Pimlico tote show the entire pool? (MTH shows only on-track portion of each pool. Leads to not-infrequent payoff disappointments.) And how did you know it was Vegas money? Educated guess?

Thank you.

wonatthewire1
05-31-2007, 10:01 PM
about 15 (?) years ago there was a horse named Friendly Friend. I was learning then and reading Mark Cramer's stuff on lay-off horses and it was at Monmouth Park - a little fuzzy on the details. I was watching him in the paddock - looked raring to go...

They break and he's moving on the track - I'm gonna win!?! Then he blows the turn and is about 15 wide and everybody is closing inside! He's not going to win!

Strangely, he holds on while running in the 9 path and the legend of the lay-off horse was born (in my mind anyway) at 18-1. He was one of those that was all out after being off about 4 months then nothing in his next 4-5 races...

Saw the horse later in the year at the Big M - never would win but always blew the turn - I could smell him while standing on the apron. I did cash on him the following year at Monmouth again off of the lay-off. Then he vanished after the Meadowlands meet.

Still look for and win with those types of horses.

Does anyone remember a MD horse called Steelous Art (?) around the same time frame? Gunner from the gate, sometimes he held on, usually he didn't - learned a lot about stalkers watching him run and get gobbled up.

facorsig
06-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Smartest wager would have been Woodbine Breeder's Cup. This was my first live Breeder's Cup and I put $500 to show (still my largest single bet) on a three horse coupled entry (the favorite) who nearly swept 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

My luckiest bet was next day on Woodbine turf. Preparing for Breeder's Cup, I read that foreign shippers struggled on Woodbine turf, but after watching the previous day, thought I would take a chance and box three foreign shippers in trifecta. It paid $1800 which was my largest win until three years ago.

Fred

fmhealth
06-01-2007, 10:07 AM
The smartest bet I ever made was to marry my beautiful wife 37 years ago. Nothing but love & bliss since that wonderful day (bear with me, she reads this thread!).

boomman
06-01-2007, 11:10 AM
The smartest bet I ever made was to marry my beautiful wife 37 years ago. Nothing but love & bliss since that wonderful day (bear with me, she reads this thread!).

Congratulations Scott! I got "lucky" in that dept, too!!Boomer

cj's dad
06-02-2007, 08:48 AM
CJ's Dad,
How did you know about the off-track bet? Does the Pimlico tote show the entire pool? (MTH shows only on-track portion of each pool. Leads to not-infrequent payoff disappointments.) And how did you know it was Vegas money? Educated guess?

Thank you.

The totes at Pimlico and Laurel do show the co-mingled pool amounts and of course the amount wagered on each horse in each category.

As for the Las Vegas money, since this was Preakness weekend, the Baltimore Sun, with it's extensive coverage had a story in saturday's edition about the Black Eyed Susan Stakes and referred to the large show wager made in Las Vegas !!

098poi
06-02-2007, 10:06 AM
In 1990,91 or 92 (I am not sure) I lived in So Cal and had come into some money and could think of no better way to dispose of it than at the track. I didn't really handicap much in those days but would use an occasional phone service or tout sheet. On the day of the big cap I went to a seminar held at a coffee shop in a mall near Santa Anita. He had ads in the racing form (I think his name was Lee Russo, something like that) and I thought I'd check it out. You paid a fee and he gave you his opinions. For the big race he said that since the track had been favoring front runners so much in recent weeks (more than usual for SA) he thought a horse named Ruhlman would win and at a price. The horse was a confirmed front runner and a trained by Charlie Whittingham who was having a poor meet. The distance (10F) is what the concern was in the publics mind.

Anyway on that day I was trying a new betting method I had read about called a round robin (I think). That is where you spread your money out before the races and if you have a winner a portion of that gets spread around to the other races. I had won a race earlier with a horse called Hot Novel on the 6F turf course (Russo's pick), it may have even been the race before the big one. So my plan called for me to bet 250 dollars to win on Ruhlman but he was going off at 21 or 22 to one and I was a bit skeptical. Something said stick to the plan and as I stood by the finish line to watch the race I saw him win wire to wire.:jump: The cashier counted out 56+ 100 dollar bills!! What a feeling. Alas the money was gone within a few weeks but I have a nice memory.

Kelso
06-02-2007, 10:03 PM
The totes at Pimlico and Laurel do show the co-mingled pool amounts and of course the amount wagered on each horse in each category.

Interesting ... thank you. I wonder why they can't do this at Monmouth.

<<< OFF TOPIC: Last summer I asked a tote-room guy at MTH why the board didn't show entire pools. (Didn't know to use the word "comingled" back then. :blush: ) He said it wasn't possible for the computer to stay sufficiently current with all the betting sources. On the other hand, he emphatically said the WIN odds on the board incorporated all sources even though the WIN pool amounts did not. He couldn't explain the dichotemy. >>>

the Baltimore Sun, with it's extensive coverage had a story in saturday's edition about the Black Eyed Susan Stakes and referred to the large show wager made in Las Vegas !!

Did the paper report if the guy used a ledge, a bullet or a noose? :D

raybo
06-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Interesting ... thank you. I wonder why they can't do this at Monmouth.

<<< OFF TOPIC: Last summer I asked a tote-room guy at MTH why the board didn't show entire pools. (Didn't know to use the word "comingled" back then. :blush: ) He said it wasn't possible for the computer to stay sufficiently current with all the betting sources. On the other hand, he emphatically said the WIN odds on the board incorporated all sources even though the WIN pool amounts did not. He couldn't explain the dichotemy. >>>

Did the paper report if the guy used a ledge, a bullet or a noose? :D

Yeah, he really knew what he was talking about huh? That's why the odds keep changing even after the gate opens. Me thinks he was smokin' somethin'.

the little guy
06-03-2007, 01:46 PM
I bet that DrugS wouldn't get laid in Saratoga.

Steve 'StatMan'
06-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Long ago, I'd tried a rigid betting approach with standard betting amounts. $20 was my Win bet size, and $2 was for Daily Doubles. In the 9th race on a December Hawthorne card (Mid-1990's) I really liked a horse, didn't see how he could get beat, but would likely be too low to bet. Before the 8th race, I found a horse that I liked but would be a bit risky, that was going off at 9/1. I looked at the Late Daily Double combinations, and the probables were in the 3 digit range at that time. In one of those times when I actually zagged when I was supposed to zag, I decided that, rather than bet the $20 to win on the 9/1 shot in the 8th race, and $2 on the DD, since I liked the 9th race horse so much, that it would be worth risking that same $20 entirely on the Double instead of the win pool. The 9/1 shot won the 8th race, ($20 would have made about a $180-ish profit), but I was really glad with the Double going when my 9th race horse opened at 1/5, and delighted when he won, and the $2 DD returned about $91.80, and my $20 had brought me back $918.00 when normally I'd had $180 + $91 = $271 for what I didn't consider a significantly greater risk. Once in a while, I do it the smart way, and it pays off.

Pell Mell
06-03-2007, 10:35 PM
I know I posted once but just had to post this one also. I guess it was in the late sixties when PP had the BIG-E. In this gimmick you had to play an exacta and then trade your ticket in for another exacta. In the first half I had the ex 6 times with a 10/1 shot on top. There was a gang there that ran around buying winning tickets on the first half so I told my buddy to see what they were paying. They were paying $350. a ticket so I sold 4 of them and kept 2. But my pal let it slip that I had 2 more tickets so the guy comes back and wants the other 2 and I say no. He starts uping the ante till he's up to $750. a ticket. Now my buddy is screaming at me to sell and now I'm tempted and am having a hard time making up my mind. The next race had a filly that was 6/5 on the morning line but I was in love with Charlie Camac's horse with Frankie Lovato up. I finally decided to sell 1 more ticket for the $750. and kept 1 ticket which I traded for one with Camacs horse on top of the chalk. What a move, Bingo, Frankie nails the chalk at the wire and the ticket pays $19,000.:jump:

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2007, 02:08 AM
I bet that DrugS wouldn't get laid in Saratoga.

Now THAT's funny, and worthy of at least some recognition given the title of this thread! :lol:

Hajck Hillstrom
06-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Now THAT's funny, and worthy of at least some recognition given the title of this thread! :lol:I didn't get it at first, but you're right, it is DEFINITELY worthy. :lol::lol:

betchatoo
06-04-2007, 07:54 AM
In 1968 at Hawthorne I made a little bet on a horse named Jay Cee El. I watch him get blocked 3 separate times on the way to a close 3rd. Interestingly, it was never mentioned in the racing chart. I watch for him to run again, but the next time out he's at the wrong distance (running a mile and a sixteenth when he's never run well over 7 furlongs) and in a much higher class. I never did figure out if this race was designed to leg him up, muddy his condition or was just sheer stupidity. Just ten days later he's entered in a 6 1/2 furlong race against a lower class of horses than he ran against the first time. In addition, they threw a top jock on him. I wagered with both hands (which for me was $100 bucks back then). Horse paid $68 and to quote Andy Beyer, "I was king of the world."

the little guy
06-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Now THAT's funny, and worthy of at least some recognition given the title of this thread! :lol:

Thanks.....I was beginning to wonder.

cj
06-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks.....I was beginning to wonder.

I would have responded, but it only paid $2.10.

cnollfan
06-04-2007, 11:20 PM
My favorite bet was on July 7, 1977 at AkSarBen in Omaha. In those days AkSarBen was hugely popular and they didn't have too many exotics, so the daily double was a big thing. I sort of liked a longshot, Unique Bird, in the first race, who perchance was #7. In looking at the daily double probables I saw that the 7-7 double was the lowest combination at $110ish, even though #7 in the second race was an impossible longshot, while the 7-9 double was paying $130, although 9 was the heavy favorite. Because of the date - 7-7-77 -- practically every $2 bettor in the place had picked up a 7-7 double. I bought the 7-9 five times, Unique Bird won and paid $40, and Malefic, the favorite, won the second race easily.

Eleven years later I tried to repeat the magic at Mile High Kennel Club in Commerce City, Colo., but did not see any unusual betting patterns on the 8 dog and ended up losing my shirt trying to decipher the canines.

cnollfan
06-04-2007, 11:28 PM
In 1990,91 or 92 (I am not sure) I lived in So Cal and had come into some money and could think of no better way to dispose of it than at the track. I didn't really handicap much in those days but would use an occasional phone service or tout sheet. On the day of the big cap I went to a seminar held at a coffee shop in a mall near Santa Anita. He had ads in the racing form (I think his name was Lee Russo, something like that) and I thought I'd check it out. You paid a fee and he gave you his opinions. For the big race he said that since the track had been favoring front runners so much in recent weeks (more than usual for SA) he thought a horse named Ruhlman would win and at a price. The horse was a confirmed front runner and a trained by Charlie Whittingham who was having a poor meet. The distance (10F) is what the concern was in the publics mind.

Anyway on that day I was trying a new betting method I had read about called a round robin (I think). That is where you spread your money out before the races and if you have a winner a portion of that gets spread around to the other races. I had won a race earlier with a horse called Hot Novel on the 6F turf course (Russo's pick), it may have even been the race before the big one. So my plan called for me to bet 250 dollars to win on Ruhlman but he was going off at 21 or 22 to one and I was a bit skeptical. Something said stick to the plan and as I stood by the finish line to watch the race I saw him win wire to wire.:jump: The cashier counted out 56+ 100 dollar bills!! What a feeling. Alas the money was gone within a few weeks but I have a nice memory.

Lee Rousso. I have a misplaced cassette tape somewhere of a seminar he gave at one of the early Horseplayer Expos about the power of early speed. It's a pretty good tape and he refers prominently to the Ruhlmann race. Haven't heard his name mentioned in years -- wonder what became of him.

DrugS
06-05-2007, 07:07 AM
I would have responded, but it only paid $2.10.

Wow, it's so nice to see you guys are scoring some Anti-DrugS layups while I'm away fighting off trolls single-handedly and trying to succeed at my creators personal request of spreading and teaching my handicapping wisdom to all corners of the message board world.

Keep it up....

I've almost concluding wrapping up my wildly successful DT crusade....you two had better really step it up when I come back to my old stomping grounds and defend my turf.

cj
06-05-2007, 07:19 AM
I found myself the beneficiary of a Nash pass as I was standing alone under the hoop. I couldn't miss with that assist.

the little guy
06-05-2007, 10:35 AM
I found myself the beneficiary of a Nash pass as I was standing alone under the hoop. I couldn't miss with that assist.

While DrugS was doing his Stephan Marbury imitation in cyberspace.

cj
06-05-2007, 10:49 AM
While DrugS was doing his Stephan Marbury imitation in cyberspace.

He is making affordable shoes?

Zman179
06-05-2007, 10:55 AM
My best wager occurred one evening when I got home from work about 11pm. I turned on the TV and computer and noticed that the 14th from Northfield was coming up. I had $25 in my phone account, so I handicapped the race and played a $1 superfecta 48/48/26/26. It won and paid $440 for a buck. The very next race was the 11th from Maywood Park. I noticed that the 5 looked super huge on paper and was 17/1. I played the 5 to win for $20 and played a $1 tri key and a $1 super key 5 with 1, 3, 7. The race came out 5137. The tri paid $522 for a buck and the super paid $3927 for a buck.

I wound up turning $25 into $4999.85 in a span of 15 minutes. Boy, you should have seen the look on my wife's face when she cashed that check! :lol: :bang: :lol:

Hajck Hillstrom
06-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Lee Rousso. I have a misplaced cassette tape somewhere of a seminar he gave at one of the early Horseplayer Expos about the power of early speed. It's a pretty good tape and he refers prominently to the Ruhlmann race. Haven't heard his name mentioned in years -- wonder what became of him.

OK, off the cuff..... Didn't Rousso win the World Handicapping Championship in back to back years? (81-82?)

I know that he moved to Seattle in the mid/late 80's, and I've asked some people up here if they had ever heard of him with no positive responses. I believe that his wife had a job transfer up here, and if I'm not mistaken, she was an English teacher.

I've loosely based a character on him in my novel, SINGLING DEEP, where a noted back2back World Handicapping Champion slips into Seattle and goes underground while successfully playing the ponies online in semi-seclusion from an office in his home.

Maybe this will flush him out......

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck Hillstrom

cj's dad
06-06-2007, 06:03 PM
[

I wound up turning $25 into $4999.85 in a span of 15 minutes. Boy, you should have seen the look on my wife's face when she cashed that check! :lol: :bang: :lol:[/QUOTE]

You told WHO ?? :bang: :D

098poi
06-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Found this on the web. About Lee Rousso.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050713/news_1s13horsecol.html

cnollfan
06-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks, poi

Hajck Hillstrom
06-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Found this on the web. About Lee Rousso. Unerground/Law School....same thing. Good stuff, thanks for the posting! Fascinating perspective. Rationalized burnout is always a good out. He does make some salient points though. The article was written in 2005, so I still wonder what he is up to now that playing Online Poker is a class C felony in the state of Washington (same as Child Porn). He either moved back out of state or will be defending himself with that law degree soon. Sorry to detract from the thread, but this might be a decent topic for another.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck

lrousso
10-08-2007, 05:59 PM
I do indeed live in Seattle and practice law. I am the plaintiff in a suit challenging the constitutionality of Washington's internet poker law. I am also representing and internet company that has been accused of violating the internet gambling law.

Oddly enough, my specialty is gambling law. Go figure.:)

Lee Rousso

Tom
10-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Welcome Lee.

JustRalph
10-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Damn! The official Gambling Attorney of Pace Advantage!

I have only been playing since 01 so........

War Emblem in the Derby,

Better, War Emblem over Magic Weisner in the Preakness.........

Turned about 180 bucks into 15k.............and bought the wife a car with it.

Bunch of other long ones, bought some nice new furniture for the condo off a horse called "Angel Trumpet" who upset Unbridled Sydney at CDX last year...........

you starting to see a theme here? :lol: Nobody's happy if Momma Ain't happy...... :lol:

Sherry
10-08-2007, 08:57 PM
I love playing the rolling Daily Doubles at S.Cal tracks. My smartest and favorite wager was last December. Hit a $16K Daily Double pool by keying a FTS that paid $100.00. I never knew you could hit a pool at S. Cal. What a rush!:jump: :jump: :jump:

orrug2k
10-08-2007, 11:35 PM
There was that breeders cup pick 6 i hit once on 4 singles and then an all with all for the last two legs of it. UNluckily I caught Bailey on a real long shot that was like a hundred to one. I hit the ticket for a MIllion but me and my college buddies didnt get to cash it. OH well I get out soon and will try again. :lol::lol::lol:

orrug2k
10-08-2007, 11:40 PM
THAT REMINDED ME OF a freak hit I made once on the arkansaw derby one year. It was part of a pick 4 deal with the bluegrass and wood and some other prep. The horse paid 40 to one and the pick 4 paid thousands. The jockey got busted later for a battery, but the owners got to keep the purse. Seems like It was BIlly P.The horse ended up being pretty good so prob didnt need the extra alkaliene.

098poi
10-09-2007, 12:31 AM
I do indeed live in Seattle and practice law. I am the plaintiff in a suit challenging the constitutionality of Washington's internet poker law. I am also representing and internet company that has been accused of violating the internet gambling law.

Oddly enough, my specialty is gambling law. Go figure.:)

Lee Rousso

Welcome Lee! Ruhlman is still my greatest memory. Your input is welcome on this board. Don't say you are out of it because you didn't find this place by accident!

Kelso
10-09-2007, 12:44 AM
:lol: Nobody's happy if Momma Ain't happy...... :lol:

Momma don't 'llow no racehorse bettin' 'round here?

northerndancer
10-09-2007, 01:03 AM
At Old Hill Top in the Preakness....... had been raining and always new there was a rail bias at Old Hill Top...... in addition the horse was a local and won over the strip....... that was the smartest play and the one the got me hooked on this wonderful game of wagering...... it also got me hooked on the desire to own thoroughbreds..... I guess it was a life changing wager...... hmmmmm and Frank Stronach states the game has no life changing wagers..... I beg to differ.

1st time lasix
10-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Had Tisnow in the final leg of the Pick four at the breeder's Cup when he nipped Giant's Causeway for half of 7 k. Next year because of that fond memory..... i singled him again on a small ticket....I was stunned when he won for the 2nd year in a row! Another big ticket!

DJofSD
10-10-2007, 03:14 PM
I still remember sitting in the local OTB with one of my then handicapping buddies. We had a mutual understanding that we would compare thoughts about some races and horses but never tout or take issue with the others analysis -- a mutual respect.

There was a low level allowance race at HOL with a field of 5. Initially, neither one was interested in the race to any great degree. But after watching the post parade, we turned to one another and said 'the favorite looks terrible plus my pace analysis does not favor this short price favorite.' We then listened to each others thoughts then without saying anything more, went to bet the race.

We came back to our seats then compared tickets. We had both bet exacta boxes using the two horses we had just discussed. The exacta came in for a substantial pay off -- well into 4 figures for a $20 bet.

cj's dad
11-06-2007, 11:21 AM
The 1993 Arkansas Derby offered such an opportunity with Kissin Kris at odds of 15-1, and when Rockamundo won paying $210,
Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck Hillstrom

Rockamundo was the #8 in that race, a big gray if I remember correctly, and had won the Oklahoma Derby at Rem Park last out and at Pimlico ( I don't remember if the pools were co-minglesd back then) he paid 143.6 to 1 for a $2 payout of $289.20.
Some things you just remember;)

onefast99
11-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Explosive heat with bravo onboard June 24th in a field of 6 38k n1x allowance after levine took him over in a claim from Smullen. went off at over 4-1 won by 6.5 lengths. I couldnt believe they made this horse 4-1.:jump:

HEY DUDE
11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
My smartest wagers happened to me one day last April. I found two races on the card where I knew 2 or 3 horses would be in the money based on the owners. (These were owners who finished in the money 65% or better for the meet) Keyed them for 2nd and 3rd with all for first. (Didn't know the winners, just knew who was going to be 2nd and 3rd) Big payoffs. The first race I hit that day I had a 45-1 hit the wire for first and had the tri. Two races later the same situation and had a 55-1 hit the wire for first. That was my richest day at the track.:jump:

Tom Barrister
11-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Albeit not my most lucrative, perhaps my smartest wager ever involved a similar situation. In an instance of a bridge-jump in a small field....you can ration your bets so you are assured a profit no matter what the outcome is. I've connected with it a few times....I call it the "bridge-jump counter play."

It's the only situation I know of in horse racing....where you can assure yourself of a profit no matter what the outcome is.

It's also known as "show pool hedging", and Pinnacle was the target of it a few times and now has a rule forbidding it.

My "smartest" bet ever involved a nine horse field in which I found out from separate sources that the top two morning line favorites weren't being used that day and would probably not hit the board. What made it good was the fact that each one was telling me they were going to key the other horse in the trifecta. Apparently, they weren't aware of each other's situation. I boxed the other seven in the trifecta. Neither of the favorites were near the money, and I got about $3,500 (after the deduction) for my $210.

Semipro
11-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Jim'sMr Tee 1999-Oaklawn The Southwest Stakes. Bet 100.win paid $106:jump:

Robert Fischer
11-07-2007, 12:51 PM
my dumbest wager ever
2007 Kentucky Derby

$1 superfecta

Street Sense
Hard Spun/ Curlin
Hard Spun/ Curlin
Zanjero/ Sedgefield/Great Hunter/Nobiz

cost = $8

Considering All of my wagers consisted of the same trifecta , and this being my only superfecta wager ... An "All" in the 4th slot would have cost me $28 more dollars. Instead of winning $750 or whatever , I would have also come home with half the 29K superfecta minus taxes.

AlBundy33
11-07-2007, 05:04 PM
My best bet ever? Getting 3-1 on Mini Me on opening night at Hazel Park last year. I thought 2/5 would be a value on the horse considering what he was facing that night........let alone 3-1.