PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame Inductees announced today

ELA
05-29-2007, 02:30 PM
The Hall of Fame inductees were announced today --

Jockeys: Jose Santos and John Sellers

Trainers: Henry Forrest, Frank McCabe and John Veitch

Horses: Mom's Command, Silver Charm and Swoon's Son

Congratulations to all on this great achievement!!!

Eric

GaryG
05-29-2007, 02:50 PM
I would rather have seen Randy Romero and Inside Information.

Edward DeVere
05-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Jose Santos? I weep for my country.

KirisClown
05-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Inside Information should have gotten in... both her and Sky Beauty were more accomplished than Mom's Command.

DrugS
05-31-2007, 04:02 AM
I'd pretty much like to see less people and more horses going in.

Manila is probably the most talented American turf horses of all-time, and he had accomplishments to back up the talent---with a 14-11-3-0 career record on turf, and spectacular 5-for-5 career mark in Grade 1 turf race...including a win, as a 3yo, in the Breeders Cup Turf in a race which featured the deepest group ever to contest that race. Horses like Theatrical, European legend Dancing Brave, runaway Arlington Million winner Estrapade.

Inside Information should also be a slam dunk. She was just awesome.

PaceAdvantage
06-01-2007, 02:14 AM
In defense of Mom's Command....from the Bloodhorse obit:

Mom's Command became just the sixth horse to win the New York Filly Triple Crown, with consecutive victories in the Acorn (gr. I), Mother Goose (gr. I), and Coaching Club American Oaks (gr. I). The other Triple Crown winners prior to her--Dark Mirage (1968), Shuvee (1969), Chris Evert (1974), Ruffian (1975), and Davona Dale (1979)--were each enshrined in the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in Saratoga Springs, N. Y. Of this group, only Shuvee and Mom's Command went on to win the prestigious Alabama Stakes (gr. I), the filly counterpart of the Travers Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga.

It is noteworthy that each of Mom's Command's 16 races (11 wins, two seconds, and a third) was contested in a stakes event, even her maiden win at Rockingham Park on July 17, 1984, in the Faneuil Miss Stakes at odds of 44-1. She won at distances ranging from five furlongs to 1 1/2-mile before her retirement Sept. 29, 1985, after wrenching her ankle while in training for the Rare Perfume Stakes at Belmont Park.

Additionally, she defeated every filly who ever finished in front of her, including the best of her generation such as Outstandingly, Fran's Valentine, and Lady's Secret. Mom's Command would rip the hearts out of her competition, letting them get close on the turn, then rebreaking. In her Triple Crown sweep, she defeated 18 different fillies, none of which was closer than 2 1/2 lengths to her at the finish line.

GMB@BP
06-01-2007, 10:01 AM
In defense of Mom's Command....from the Bloodhorse obit:

Additionally, she defeated every filly who ever finished in front of her,:

I believe Azeri has that same distinction, at least the fillies of note, she beat Summer Colony in the Distaff, and she beat Sightseek and Storm Flag Flying in the Go For Wand, she beat Got Koko on multiple occasions.