PDA

View Full Version : Worst Jockey moves/dirt vs turf

Niko
05-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Ok, let's try this again....(closed Belmont thread). There's lot of decisions for the jocks, they have a tough job. 20/20 is great, just ask all the sports analysts who think they're a lot smarter than they are talking about plays after they've occurred.

Sometimee the jocks who read the form can outsmart themselves (a lot of early on turf and they let a E at 10-1 or up (that they're not concerned about because of odds and chances of winning) wire them, or they see no speed and 2-3 jockeys put their horses in a compromised early position, using too much early energy.

That being said, the 2 rides where I know 98% of the time I'll lose my money

1) As mentioned by Fat Man--a jockey waiting on the inside between 2-3 early horses. Problem on the turf: horses on turf tend not to use their energy as early, a bunch of horses come to the outside so the horse and get our and the early horses back up and have to maintain position because of the horses coming outside of them. On the dirt, you rarely have to worry about this

2) A jockey making his big move as the are entering the 2nd turn 4 horses or wider outside. The horse can't maintain his momentum running at top speed while going around a corner. Centrifugal force or something akin for live animals. You can make a great move coming out of the second turn, before the second turn...but not on the turn while wide. Good way to throw a race though.

I believe a great jockey gets a little more out of his horse and puts himself in a position to win: They know how to ride against the other jockeys and the horses they're on, understands the track and keeps the horse out of trouble. Doesn't hurt to ride good horses either.

Niko
05-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Boy: I read my first statement and you'd think I was up drinking late at night...aye

1) turf course. Jockey sits his horse on the inside behind the 2-3 pace setters trying to save ground. That can be good on dirt but it's bad on turf. Why;
Horses don't use as much energy in the early part of turf races so the early speed tends not to back up as early. The late runners make their move around the turn or just after the 2nd turn coming outside of the early horses. At that point the horse covering and saving ground on the inside can't go outside and has no room to go inside. By the time they get free and get their momentun it's too late. Someone else has gotten first jump on them at full speed. Full fields play a part in this also.

If I have a horse coming into the stretch behined the early speed and the pressers and closers are starting to make their move...I know I've lost just about every time.

ratpack
05-28-2007, 03:49 PM
I see it in So. Cal time after time a horse is stuck on the rail coming into the stretch, rather than sit there and hope for an opening they swing outside 4 to 6 wide losing all chance.