PDA

View Full Version : Durkin

banacek
05-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Okay, I know some people like Durkin, but today's first drove me nuts. I listen to NYRA as video isn't always easy to come by in Canada. He called Dontess the whole stretch. I thought I had a nice 12-1 winner. As they approach the finish line he says "Oh, make that Cockney Dancer. That's Cockney Dancer, not Dontess". How could he not know that before the finish line?

46zilzal
05-28-2007, 01:22 PM
I caught that one too as it was my 6 coming on to win and had to double check the screen.

NO ONE is perfect.

DanG
05-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Okay, I know some people like Durkin, but today's first drove me nuts. I listen to NYRA as video isn't always easy to come by in Canada. He called Dontess the whole stretch. I thought I had a nice 12-1 winner. As they approach the finish line he says "Oh, make that Cockney Dancer. That's Cockney Dancer, not Dontess". How could he not know that before the finish line?
“Some” people like Durkin…:rolleyes:

Make that most and after seeing him at the Preakness the man was not the picture of health. I sincerely hope I’m wrong and wish him the best.

As far as his race calling, he is in the top 5 in history, period the end. I realize it’s totally subjective, but how one could watch Breeders Cup tape and not be impressed is beyond me.

PS: Turn the sound down and call a race sometime. It’s not as easy as it looks. Relax and enjoy the holiday.

banacek
05-28-2007, 01:28 PM
NO ONE is perfect.

Or as Steven Wright says "When I was kid my Mum said 'Practice makes perfect', but then she also said 'Nobody's perfect', so I never practiced.

the_fat_man
05-28-2007, 01:29 PM
This one was particularly bad. Cockney Gambler was a clear LAST until they basically entered the stretch. It was real easy to pick him up. Then he split horses and came wide, making it, once again, real easy to pick up. He was the only horse closing.

gIracing
05-28-2007, 01:31 PM
I personally perfer Vic and trevor over Durkin... Vic has really grown on me

cj
05-28-2007, 01:35 PM
“Some” people like Durkin…:rolleyes:

Make that most and after seeing him at the Preakness the man was not the picture of health. I sincerely hope I’m wrong and wish him the best.

As far as his race calling, he is in the top 5 in history, period the end. I realize it’s totally subjective, but how one could watch Breeders Cup tape and not be impressed is beyond me.

PS: Turn the sound down and call a race sometime. It’s not as easy as it looks. Relax and enjoy the holiday.

People make mistakes, I can live with that. It doesn't mean you don't get criticized when you screw up, and he did bad.

I did bet the 5 and also listen to NYRA, so it sucked.

He gets paid very well to get it right. Maybe it isn't easy as you say, but I don't get paid to do it, he does. Durkin probably is an all time great, but he hasn't been for more than a few years now.

kenwoodallpromos
05-28-2007, 01:39 PM
If I called races just by the number it might still be hard!!

banacek
05-28-2007, 01:42 PM

I have respect for Durkin. And I'd put him in my top 5. And I never said I wasn't impressed by his calls in the past. The last couple of years, however..

46zilzal
05-28-2007, 01:51 PM
I have a record Anita gave out as a promotional thing with calls by Hernandez. Two of them, the George Royal San Juan Capistrano and Silky Sullivan are great to hear.......I loved the way he would say such and such is THUYRD.....

In the Silky race that one did not get a call until the mike was off and the comment goes something like "Silky got up, imagine that!"

Tom
05-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Maybe he will get the third right - only 5 horses....typical Belmont stake.:ThmbDown::D

gIracing
05-28-2007, 02:09 PM
yeah I LIKE durkin, just not as much as the other two...

as soon as I say that.. durkin gives an unreal call...thanks tom

Tom
05-28-2007, 02:14 PM
It was one of his better calls.....he shut up late! :lol:

Put me in the "never cared for the guy a bit" column.

banacek
05-28-2007, 02:19 PM
It was one of his better calls.....he shut up late! :lol:

Put me in the "never cared for the guy a bit" column.

Are you guys talking about the third? What is the idea of stopping calling the race in the stretch. Maybe someone might have an exacta on the race and is listening to the NYRA feed? (At least me and CJ are listening). It was a surprise who came second because he never mentioned the 3 horse except at the start and at the very end of the race.

I just watched the video on racereplays and the 3 made a nice move that Durkin never mentioned.

Tom
05-28-2007, 02:22 PM
I was thinking his pizza got delivered about the eigth pole.

banacek
05-28-2007, 02:25 PM
I was thinking his pizza got delivered about the eigth pole.:lol: . So he's eating pizza while I'm trying to figure out how a horse he never mentioned after the first 10 seconds of the race came second? It was a 5 horse race, tell me what is happening!

gIracing
05-28-2007, 02:25 PM
lol, it was unique.. I liked it and he was right.. it was poetry in motion

bigmack
05-28-2007, 02:26 PM
Editorial judgments are subjective, based on what is available at a given moment in time, and ultimately unfair.

I tip my hat to Durkin and what he's done over the years.

cj
05-28-2007, 02:38 PM
I tip my hat to Durkin and what he's done over the years.

Which, of course, is also an editorial judgement.

bigmack
05-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Which, of course, is also an editorial judgement.
We're going have to review the credentials of that private education. The key you left out was, "based on what is available at a given moment in time".

Point being, it's tough to make a judgment of one without taking in the comprehensiveness of their work. Thus, I tip my hat to what he's done over the years. Not in thowing around choler based on a few botched races.

ELA
05-28-2007, 02:54 PM
I am a fan of Durkin. I've also had the opportunity to speak with him on several occasions. His awareness and opinion on races, and the nuances that occur, is incredible. Now, due to the dyanamic of calling a race, that may not come through all the time, often, etc.

Over the tens of thousands of races he's called -- there are always going to be mistakes, and like with everyone, there will be big ones and small ones. Also, you are never going to please everyone. His style is his style. It's chocolate and vanilla.

The one element that I completely and totally respect -- and admire -- about Tom Durkin, and I am not sure if it's more personal or professional -- is his passion. Tom Durkin has a passion for this game that knows no boundaries.

Eric

Tom
05-28-2007, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=bigmack
Point being, it's tough to make a judgment of one without taking in the comprehensiveness of their work. Thus, I tip my hat to what he's done over the years. Not in thowing around choler based on a few botched races.[/QUOTE]

I've never thought much of him as a race caller. I take the sum total of his career into account when I say he is pathetic, IMHO. I always get the ipression, that like today's thirds, he is putting his cute little calls ahead of the race itself. I rank him an amature.
Like already mentioned, people had exactas and such going, and his cutesy little crap was to stop calling so he could work that little "Durken angle" into his call. Amature.

I don't even like that way he calls scratches!:lol:

Zman179
05-28-2007, 04:18 PM
I guarantee you that Durkin's harshest critic after that race was...Durkin himself. You would be surprised how much any announcer would beat himself up after totally botching a call.

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Hey look, at least Durkin didn't miss STREET SENSE making his big move in the Derby, like DENMAN did in the BC Juvenile. When did Denman eventually mention STREET SENSE'S name in that race? :lol:

I doubt anything Durkin ever does wrong will ever top Denman's blunder on such a nationwide stage.

otravez
05-28-2007, 04:30 PM
I guarantee you that Durkin's harshest critic after that race was...Durkin himself. You would be surprised how much any announcer would beat himself up after totally botching a call.

Yep, you're right. Whenever, wherever. I know for sure.

Bruddah
05-28-2007, 04:38 PM
good or bad vs. Denman. His nasal twang is simply the worst. (JMHO)

banacek
05-28-2007, 04:50 PM
I doubt anything Durkin ever does wrong will ever top Denman's blunder on such a nationwide stage.

That was a horrible missed call. He completely missed the horse and then all of a sudden he was well in the lead and Denman was screwed - but he missed a horse, didn't call him the wrong name the whole stretch.

But, in my opinion the one Durkin made in the 1st was just as bad or worse, just not in front of a few million people. Imagine if he had done that in the Derby.

My original question was "how could he miss it?". I know people make mistakes. The horse was on the outside (closest to Durkin) most of the stretch and he called it wrong. It was an awful mistake.

From listening to Durkin the last few years, there seems to be a tailing off. And the omissions he makes like in the third are very frustrating. But that may be that I don't like his style of calling - and that is personal opinion. This wasn't Secretariat in the Belmont, tell me where the other horses are!

P.S. I was one of the people who posted and gave Durkin full credit for his Derby call. Good job.

gIracing
05-28-2007, 04:53 PM
at least denmen had an excuse (saddle clothes)

ELA
05-28-2007, 05:46 PM

Excellent point.

Eric

OTM Al
05-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Go get ANY Turfway Park race and listen to the call. Now tell me Durkin is so awful.

cj's dad
05-28-2007, 06:36 PM
We're going have to review the credentials of that private education. The key you left out was, "based on what is available at a given moment in time".

Point being, it's tough to make a judgment of one without taking in the comprehensiveness of their work. Thus, I tip my hat to what he's done over the years. Not in thowing around choler based on a few botched races.

You have no idea regarding CJ's private education, so try to keep your comments relative to the post !!

bigmack
05-28-2007, 07:10 PM
try to keep your comments relative to the post !!
Your honor, I ask that the court reporter read back the testimony and show the relevance of the said comment.

Good thing we're not talking about stolen milk money or I'd have to get my dad involved. You'd win that round, he's dead.

cj
05-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Nice call in the Met by Durkin. Someone please show me the trouble Silver Wagon had today that the announcer made sound so severe. Since there was none, you may be looking for a long time.

ranchwest
05-29-2007, 12:13 AM
I don't have the time or patience to list all of the callers worse than Durkin. If someone wants to work on the list, there's a certain guy in Kentucky who has prompted a lot of threads here.

samyn on the green
05-29-2007, 12:38 AM
Perfect post. Durkin might have made a mistake in a 25KN2L claimer but he would never come unprepared like Denmen did when he got his shot at the big time. Other than that mistake in the 1st Durkin really called a great card today. Hey look, at least Durkin didn't miss STREET SENSE making his big move in the Derby, like DENMAN did in the BC Juvenile. When did Denman eventually mention STREET SENSE'S name in that race? :lol:

BeatTheChalk
05-29-2007, 01:21 AM
I personally perfer Vic and trevor over Durkin... Vic has really grown on me

Anyone but Durkin. As for Trevor - he jumped the shark sometime ago imho..
He simply cant keep adlibs to himself. Theeee best in history was Harry
Henson ( west coast ) Nobody better. Dave Johnson excellent. And the
gent in Chicago " Spinning out of the Turn." Finally .. the best ever on
the Radio ...was the guy in Las Vegas who used to do the re-creations for
all of the books. This was before instant replays and actual tv of the races.
His voice was simply fantastic. Cant recall his name. And now I have gone
too long ....sorta Trevor -- "moving like a winner."... :lol: :eek:

PaceAdvantage
05-29-2007, 01:26 AM
Durkin might have made a mistake in a 25KN2L claimer but he would never come unprepared like Denmen did when he got his shot at the big time.

Well, that's no excuse either, and I think Durkin would be the first to agree.

46zilzal
05-29-2007, 01:43 AM
gent in Chicago " Spinning out of the Turn."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Georgeff

cj
05-29-2007, 03:30 AM
Perfect post. Durkin might have made a mistake in a 25KN2L claimer but he would never come unprepared like Denmen did when he got his shot at the big time. Other than that mistake in the 1st Durkin really called a great card today.

I'm not sure I agree. It was not one of his better days. He had three sub par races that I heard. Not the end of the world certainly, but he can do a lot better. You'd think he'd bring his A game on a big day.

BeatTheChalk
05-29-2007, 12:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Georgeff

Ahhh yes thank you thank you !! When one gets older ( moi ) one tends
to forget ..especially the tough names. I can still hear him in my head.. :ThmbUp: :lol: :jump:

DanG
05-29-2007, 01:21 PM
:eek::eek:

Certainly shows the scrutiny you’re under calling races on our two major circuits. All the people attempting to do this for a living and Trevor and Durkin take more than their share of criticism.

It’s a bit much if you ask me, but whatever gets you through the day I guess.

Even the great Ted Williams struck out 709 times in his brilliant career, but then again 20 writers did not vote him into the hall of fame, so there is no accounting for taste.

ponyplayerdotca
05-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Similar to "Tom" and others here, I don't prefer Durkin's style of race call.

However, he is a tremendous asset to the sport's legacy (Breeders' Cup calls, his passion for the sport, etc.). I'd rather have a man like him involved in the sport than not.

The simple fact is that Tom is aging. His calls have noticeably declined in the last two years, but that's life. There will come a day when we all begin to fail at the things we're best known for.

The tough part? It should be up to him when he wishes to retire from race calling. But with that goes the audience's daily impatience of putting up with his growing inability to inform them at their desired comfort level.

After all the years of great service he's put in, you can't just fire him if you're the NYRA, can you? But then, you can't keep letting your audience down either, right?

So, Durkin will seemingly stay until he says he's done. Unfortunately, I think it's time he retired, but don't see that day coming anytime soon.

GMB@BP
05-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Will he be doing the Belmont since its on ABC and he is under contract with NBC?

samyn on the green
05-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Go ahead and listen to Durkins call of the 2nd race the same day. A clear concice call and he nailed the moves of each of the horses from post to wire.

In the lane he nails the winner at the 8th pole with brilliant voice inflection and even peppers the call with a bit of original ad-lib humor. The winner was 60-1 and he does not gloss over that fact like many other callers. Nor does he have to resort to the same tired menu of a half a dozen prases used over and over and over again like "moving like a winner". This man makes an original call for almost every race. Durkin proves his class over and over again.

Zman179
05-29-2007, 09:16 PM
So, Durkin will seemingly stay until he says he's done. Unfortunately, I think it's time he retired, but don't see that day coming anytime soon.

The only way that Durkin retires is if NYRA refuses to let him take his yearly winter sabbatical to Italy. :eek:

ponyplayerdotca
05-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Hey Samyn, we get it - you love Durkin, and you hate Denman.

That's cool, everyone has an opinion.

But promoting Durkin by taking shots at Denman hardly supports a good nature critique of the topic.

Sure, Denman's made some boner mistakes, but just like Durkin, he's human. It happens, and you move on. Denman's non-identification of Street Sense in the Juvenile last November is his "Shoemaker stands up on Gallant Man too early in the Derby in 1957" moment in an otherwise stellar career. I think the Shoe is still considered one of the greatest jockeys of all time.

Denman and Durkin pretty much have their fans and detractors, and you rarely find people who like both.

BTW, I like when Denman says "moving like a winner". Sometimes a trademark cliche of a particular caller is what I want to hear. But that's me.

gIracing
05-29-2007, 11:54 PM
yeah, I particuarly like when they sprout wings

samyn on the green
05-30-2007, 12:02 AM
I actually like Denman and think he is a excellent caller, clearly top 3 or 5 in the country. His calls at DelMar/Santa Anita are excellent and he gives a clear account of the horses action/movement. However I feel Denman is GII and he has proven that he melts under the pressure of the GI stage. Durkin is a certified GI champ who steps up to the plate for the big races days.

gIracing
05-30-2007, 12:10 AM
durkin is G1 because of the contract he had with NBC... when you thought of G1 Races you literarly thought of Durkin.

Give Demen a couple of years to put his stamp on things...

denmen and Stauffer are my two fav callers... denmen because he's more of a comentator than a race caller.. I can turn the video off, or turn around, listen to him and know exactly what's going on.. he never gets too excited, and always lets you know what's going on and where.

I like Stauffer because he gives the most exciting calls I have ever heard. he might miss something here and there, but can't listen to say, the Fountain of youth with Read the footnotes and say your weren't on edge.. how could you NOT be?

Lasix1
05-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Go ahead and listen to Durkins call of the 2nd race the same day. A clear concice call and he nailed the moves of each of the horses from post to wire.

In the lane he nails the winner at the 8th pole with brilliant voice inflection and even peppers the call with a bit of original ad-lib humor. The winner was 60-1 and he does not gloss over that fact like many other callers.
Samyn is right on about Durkin and especially his call of the 2nd race at Belmont Monday.

I also love his ad-libs. One of the best was on a foggy day at Aqueduct when he kept trying to call the race, but lost them going down the back stretch when nobody could see anything. Suddenly stopping himself in mid-sentence, he admitted: "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a work of fiction!"

I like Denman too, but in big races no one calls them better than Durkin.

ranchwest
05-30-2007, 12:17 AM
Denman would be good if he spoke American.

I like Durkin's sense of humor. I remember years ago there was a horse with an Hawaiian name. Durkin called the name twice and said it differently both times. After that, he intentionally changed the name (which was actually about 6 or so syllables) every time he called the horse. It was funny.

gIracing
05-30-2007, 12:35 AM
i like denmen because of his accent

jognlope
05-31-2007, 04:22 PM
I love him because he's the voice of the Spa, wouldn't even want to hear anyone else. He prepares well, so he likes to be funny... if you're in the spotlight you always get hits.

pressman
05-31-2007, 05:20 PM
I listen to him call Ny on Tvg everyday they are racing-unlistenable He's awful,awful awful Time to put a name tag on him and send him to the dog track

DanG
05-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Denman would be good if he spoke American.

I didn’t just read that did I? :bang:

JustRalph
05-31-2007, 09:21 PM

:lol: :lol:

SaratogaSteve
06-01-2007, 07:26 PM
There's a name for Durkin's faux pas in the aformentioned race.... It's called pulling a "Frank Dwyer"

ranchwest
06-02-2007, 02:29 AM

When I hear a pronounced accent, I have to process the information twice. Once to decipher the accent and once to absorb the actual information.

I don't need a race announcer with an accent.

I'm not knocking people with accents. I have a strong southern (plus a little Cajun in there) accent myself. But, that's one of many reasons why I shouldn't be a race announcer either.

samyn on the green
06-02-2007, 02:41 AM
Okay, I know some people like Durkin, but today's first drove me nuts. I listen to NYRA as video isn't always easy to come by in Canada. He called Dontess the whole stretch. I thought I had a nice 12-1 winner. As they approach the finish line he says "Oh, make that Cockney Dancer. That's Cockney Dancer, not Dontess". How could he not know that before the finish line?By the way the name of the horse misscalled was Cockney Gambler, you had the whole day to think about it and you still got it wrong. Glass houses is where you dwell.

banacek
06-02-2007, 11:16 AM
By the way the name of the horse misscalled was Cockney Gambler, you had the whole day to think about it and you still got it wrong. Glass houses is where you dwell.

You are right, but I am not sure what the "you had the whole day" thing is about. I posted it soon after the race. And I am not paid to call the races, so I'm not sure what that is about.

And yes, everyone makes mistakes. Wouldn't it be reasonable for Durkin to come on afterwards and tell the crowd, "I'm really sorry about that, folks." (Maybe he did and I missed it - if so, great!).

Perhaps the glass houses comment is valid. I'll apologize right now. I posted because I was pissed off about the mistake he made and then the third race got me madder. I thought I had a nice hit in the first, but I didn't. It wasn't Durkin that lost me the race, it was my handicapping.

I didn't mean for this thread to go the way it did, but I caused it-even by just calling the thread 'Durkin'. The original question was "How could he have missed it?", but it became a Durkin bashing thread which I participated in. As I did say, I remember lots of his calls with great fondness. I don't think he is as good as he once was, but I probably am not either.