PDA

View Full Version : Carroll's great book on speed

46zilzal
05-28-2007, 01:06 PM
I dusted this one off and read it again twice. For an archeologist this guy does a wonderfully scholarly job investigating the upper limits of acceleration and the linear aspect of speed.......Very good book..

kenwoodallpromos
05-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Did he decide if 4f was about right for maximum distance at full speed like other books say?

kingfin66
05-28-2007, 02:01 PM
I agree with you 46. It is definitely a well written book. Charlie is also a great guy and very oriented toward customer service. His Speed Handicapper program is just lights out at certain tracks.

46zilzal
05-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Did he decide if 4f was about right for maximum distance at full speed like other books say?
no he extends it to 5 before it turns down an calls the peak at 4f the aerobic peak......He breaks down the speed/stamina barrier at between 6.5 and 7.0 furlongs.

Gibbon
05-28-2007, 02:47 PM
The single greatest book ever written on the complexities of our beloved game. This is a book I give out freely to someone how asks about our game. They stop asking after half way through Carroll’s tome.

No one has penned the difficulty from a stand point of accurate data collection {an impossible task} to this illusion of accurate speed ratings. {Final time}

His four pages of explanations {critic} on class pars alone justify the purchase of this masterpiece.

This is why I’m a rabid advocate of simplicity for the casual player.
But, for the computer handicapper - Version 5.0 is available here:http://www.desertsea.com/v50main.htm

No affiliation, just a satisfied user.

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Yo, Gibbs....

It's BARRY MEADOW not Meadows

kenwoodallpromos
05-29-2007, 12:43 PM
no he extends it to 5 before it turns down an calls the peak at 4f the aerobic peak......He breaks down the speed/stamina barrier at between 6.5 and 7.0 furlongs.

_
Thank you! I will be looking to purchase the book!

RobinFromIreland
05-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Still the best speed handicapping book I've ever read.

ranchwest
05-29-2007, 02:58 PM

I know when I was a regular at DeD, with all of the dashes run there, it was important to know which horses were 4.5f horses and which were 5f horses. It was interesting how much difference that 1/2f made with some horses.

Tom
05-29-2007, 03:40 PM
I see the same thing at FL with 5.5 - 6.0 furlongs.
That is a huge half furlong!:eek:

First_Place
05-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Yo, Pace....

It's GIBBON not Gibbs

FP :)

PaceAdvantage
05-30-2007, 01:46 AM
Yo, Pace....

It's GIBBON not Gibbs

FP :)

Actually, it's neither, but that's another story for another day.....:lol:

Gibbon
05-30-2007, 03:04 AM
Actually, it's neither, but that's another story for another day..... :eek: To close for comfort. :lol: A story I hope never gets told. BTW,PA, I click on all your sponsors!
What's in a name anyway? Anyone see last nights Ms. Universe?
Call me Mr. Brazil. WOW

highnote
06-21-2007, 02:31 AM
Yo, Gibbs....

It's BARRY MEADOW not Meadows

Maybe Meadows should change his name -- like Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones did.

Everyone in America kept calling him Keith Richards, but his last name was really Richard. So he changed his name.

Or how about Debbie Reynolds. Debbie Reynold just doesn't sound right.