PDA

View Full Version : The Metropolitan Mile GI

Stevie Belmont
05-28-2007, 12:16 AM
One of my favorite races is here and that ushers in a new season....and this renewal is a dandy..

Silver Wagon is in top form and working well. You will see his late kick again tomorrow, but the horse has never won at the distance. That still a big question.

Sun King looks great. A fast 46 after his last race. Horses style fits the race like a glove, and his back class speaks for it's self. Horse to beat in here. Runner up last year by a nose to Silver Train.

Silent Name is the biggest question by far. Ran against some of the best on grass last year. His Commonwelth was very impressive. Never raced on dirt is the biggest question. If he runs, he could be a surprise. Class is there.

Lawyer Ron is 3 for 3 at a mile. And I actually think he much more effective at this distance then in the longer races. Draws the one hole. He has been able to relax more latley. One of a handfull if that many of 3 year olds that came back to be productive at 4 so far. Working great for this. I would have to think he is a threat.

Political Force could the biggest sleeper in the bunch....should go off pretty high. Horse ran behind the impressive Diamond Stripes and just recently ran another good race. A win might be a bity much, but could get a piece of the pie at a price..

Accountforthegold is entered at Monmouth. And he is part of a powerful Contessa entry down there. Thats where they will run.

DanG
05-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Stevie,

Weren’t you a big fan of “Corinthian” or am I confusing you with someone else?

samyn on the green
05-28-2007, 01:57 AM
Looks like Lawyer Ron has moved forward under Pletchers training. Never liked his rankness and how he would not settle behind horses. If you watch the replay of his races under pletchers care the horse now settles, waits for his command and moves when asked, a huge improvement. When i first heard he was nominated for the race I said no way, now that I watched the replay he will be in my play.

dylbert
05-28-2007, 09:12 AM
I concur with samyn on the green's comments. Lawyer Ron has rounded into really nice racehorse under Pletcher's care and guidance. Also, he has legacy angle working for him as well. LR's sire, Langfuhr, won the Met Mile in 1997.

I saw Lawyer Ron win 2006 Risen Star (G3) and place in 2006 Super Derby at LaD. LR is excellent looking horse who's pedigree and past races suggest, no make that SCREAM, that mile is his optimal performance distance.

Watch today and remember all those who have served and who continue to serve in our country's armed forces. :ThmbUp:

the_fat_man
05-28-2007, 12:49 PM
The point about LR is well taken. He's athletic enough, has enough natural speed, and can certainly handle the distance. He's the only one in the race that doesn't need a perfect setup to win. 2 negatives, however:

1) he's on the rail and Johnny V wants to be outside

2) he won't be a price

2 horses come into the race off of terrible trips last out

1) Latent Heat ---retarded ride ---on of the worst or the year

2) Sun King --- moved too soon, then pinballed between horses repeatedly in the stretch

The horse that intrigues me, and will be a price, is Corinthian. Those in the know feel he's too slow and a 2turn horse. Having watched his races in Florida, I thought that he didn't really want to go long ---that 9F was probably his max. His last was a horror trip.

Stevie Belmont
05-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Latent Heat is a game fast horse...Corinthian to. This is a very good race.

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm with Fats on this one....Corinthian fits the model at the moment...

There is a decent amount of early speed in this race, and non-sprints on the main track at Belmont have been favoring horses with good closing numbers, by my figs....with that said, routes have also played quite fairly, but still, highly ranked late runners have done well.

Corinthian has the best late figs by my numbers and will be a nice price.

Robert Fischer
05-28-2007, 04:36 PM
8 mins to go and Silver Wagon is ICE COLD on the board.

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2007, 04:40 PM
I really like Corinthian here....I'll play him with Lawyer Ron, Mr. Umphrey and Silent Name

Tom
05-28-2007, 04:41 PM
7 on top - acropss the board

Then box the 2,4,7

Then go get a steak.

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2007, 04:41 PM
and throw Half Ours in there as well

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Nice.

Although, my exacta was shot to shit...should have listened to Tom.

Robert Fischer
05-28-2007, 04:47 PM
what did it come in???

Tom
05-28-2007, 04:47 PM
PA, we shoulda got together!

Tom
05-28-2007, 04:48 PM
what did it come in??? 8-7-2

Robert Fischer
05-28-2007, 04:49 PM
wow Corinthian did it.

the_fat_man
05-28-2007, 04:49 PM
9:1 boys

yeah, he wasn't fast enough for this

way to dominate a field of SETUP dependant runners

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Dude, all I use are MY FIGURES, and I had him as well. Never once did I look at any of his past races via video.

Using my figures, he was fast enough, and using my figures, he fit the model.

Congrats by the way!

the_fat_man
05-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Dude, all I use are MY FIGURES, and I had him as well. Never once did I look at any of his past races via video.

Using my figures, he was fast enough, and using my figures, he fit the model.

Congrats by the way!

I'm referring to comments on that OTHER board.

Good one, PA

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2007, 04:54 PM
There are lots of other boards.

Stevie Belmont
05-28-2007, 04:56 PM
And how about that Political Force the biggest sleeper in the bunch. Said he had a good shot to get a piece at a price and did.

Corinthian was ready and gave it to them.

banacek
05-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Some very nice analysis here. Well done!

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2007, 04:59 PM
I suppose I should have watched his past races via replays....is Corinthian usually ridden that hard early on? Kent was doing nothing but moving his hands on Corinthian's neck from the start...made me VERY nervous....:lol:

Tom
05-28-2007, 05:00 PM
I get 20 cents less on the place than the winner paid. Nice one.

the_fat_man
Jimmy Jerkens says to Jan Rushkin that he didn't think the Corninthian was gonna run his best race in the Excelsior. Let's see:

left at the gate

significant middle run to get into 'contention'

turns for home actually with a shot

then is intimidated by another horse's whip (possibly even hit) as he's
trying in the lane --- at this point, he gives it up

yeah, he wasn't gonna put in his best effort

as I mentioned earlier, this horse just doesn't want to go real long 8F-9F is his ideal distance

Stevie Belmont
I tell ya what that exacta came back short in my opinion.....142 for a buck..

the_fat_man
05-28-2007, 05:01 PM

Once again, you and I should've collaborated.

We just refuse to learn. :bang::bang:

I bet that plug last time against Sun King

BillW
05-28-2007, 05:03 PM

Does that mean you can't make it to Saratoga this fall? :lol:

Nice hit guys! :jump:

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2007, 05:05 PM
In retrospect, I was a total idiot for leaving Political Force out of my exactas.

Here is my readout for that race...PF was my THIRD CHOICE based on final time...it's just that his late numbers didn't come up very well, and I was intent on throwing Silent Name in there as I wanted to cover my ass 'cause I didn't have any numbers on him:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/MetMile2007.html

Stevie Belmont
05-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Silver Wagon was dead on the board. Class or no class, this is not his ideal distance here. Dont care for this horse at the mile. He is now o for 4 at the mile. Sun King was running hard early and could not make up ground, not his best effort at all, actually it was dissapointing.

The triple should have been had on my part...Political Force made it sweet.

Any horse trained by Jerkens Allen or James gets extra credit.

Corinthian ran some huge numbers down in Florida. He jumped up today to take a GI. Congrats to all on him. Sharp Pick.

Robert Fischer
05-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Silver Wagon got no money from the public here.
He had the kind of form that you expect the average track-goer to be all over.

Probably was the fans of Sun King and Lawyer Ron just increasing his price...
Hard to tell if big-money stayed away from Wagon or not.

Stevie Belmont
05-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Horse was on the improve and was pointed this for awhile. Certainly usable underneath...almost got the top prize.

In retrospect, I was a total idiot for leaving Political Force out of my exactas.

Here is my readout for that race...PF was my THIRD CHOICE based on final time...it's just that his late numbers didn't come up very well, and I was intent on throwing Silent Name in there as I wanted to cover my ass 'cause I didn't have any numbers on him:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/MetMile2007.html

Tom
05-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Does that mean you can't make it to Saratoga this fall? :lol:

Nice hit guys! :jump:

Probably means I'll be staying at the Desmond. :lol:

The way I bet longshots - 1-3 or 1-3-6 on over 20-1 paid off here.
Look at the Fig2 or Fig3 sheets - tell me I could pass this guy at 21-1.

Tom
05-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Once again, you and I should've collaborated.

We just refuse to learn. :bang::bang:

I bet that plug last time against Sun King

Nice hit. I'll pay more atteniton next week.;)
That's twice this week the my fig horse and your trip horse came in together.
Let's see what they got Wednesday.