PDA

View Full Version : Rodrigo Ubillo: DOOFUS or worse luck than the Fat Man?

the_fat_man
05-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Rodrigo is either a big time DOOFUS or he's got even worse luck than I do.

May 13th at Belmont, he saddles a 2 horse entry in a maiden turf race.

Going into the 1st turn, the 'poorer' half comes out into a DAYDREAMING J L Espinoza, on the other half, who, rather than focusing was busy checking out the location of his car in the parking lot, and they clip heels and down goes J L. He's sidelined with a broken leg, I believe. Let's vote DOOFUS for J L.

Now, the poorer half of the entry couldn't keep up and was eased. Turns out, per the charts, her saddle slipped.:lol::lol:

So, I'm thinkin' more DOOFUS than unlucky for Rodrigo.

Of course, I actually bet the half that went down.:bang::bang: Thought she had a fair shot at 20:1. As it turns out, it was my 2nd DUMPED JOCK in a row (No Reply lost his in the 3rd race). More UNLUCKY than DOOFUS for the Fat Man.

Good news, however. A Million Demons just might get in in tomorrow's 9th (1st on the AE list). SHe's 20:1 morning line and you can all get in on some of this good fortune.

the little guy
05-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Rodrigo is a friend mine.

He's done a pretty good job with a fairly lackluster bunch of horses.

the_fat_man
05-26-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm just teasing. Can't help enjoying the odd chain of events.

the little guy
05-26-2007, 11:46 PM
I'm just teasing. Can't help enjoying the odd chain of events.

It is quite a chain of events.....no doubt.

Pace Cap'n
05-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Someone breaks their leg and you ENJOY it?

the_fat_man
05-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Someone breaks their leg and you ENJOY it?

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh

Looking for attention, AGAIN, are we?

ELA
05-27-2007, 12:18 AM
I don't know the guy, but he obviously doesn't have a high powered barn. Not that it speaks to this guy, or this issue, but often there is a lot more to the story. Many people who are actively involved and have spent a great deal of time in the business, on the backstretch, and up close to the business, know that there are plenty of hard working, quality trainers, who don't have the stock, and as such are low % trainers. When that happens, you get caught up in a circular rut so to speak.

When a trainer has limited stock, they almost get forced into training "defensively" -- to whatever extent possible, they can't "lean" into the horses, crank them up, etc., in part because if one gets hurt, they don't have another to fill the empty stall. They also have to spot their horses defensively because they have limited stock and opportunities. Unfortunately, they may not be able to "afford to lose" the horse for several reasons. Being a low % trainer can sometimes make it tough to get a top jock. Sometimes the trainer doesn't get to race horses where they belong, and sometimes it's due to the owner.

It is the proverbial "hampster wheel" of training and running a barn. People sometimes forget who some of the high % trainers were before they were high % trainers.

Eric

the_fat_man
05-27-2007, 12:35 AM
I don't know the guy, but he obviously doesn't have a high powered barn. Not that it speaks to this guy, or this issue, but often there is a lot more to the story. Many people who are actively involved and have spent a great deal of time in the business, on the backstretch, and up close to the business, know that there are plenty of hard working, quality trainers, who don't have the stock, and as such are low % trainers. When that happens, you get caught up in a circular rut so to speak.

When a trainer has limited stock, they almost get forced into training "defensively" -- to whatever extent possible, they can't "lean" into the horses, crank them up, etc., in part because if one gets hurt, they don't have another to fill the empty stall. They also have to spot their horses defensively because they have limited stock and opportunities. Unfortunately, they may not be able to "afford to lose" the horse for several reasons. Being a low % trainer can sometimes make it tough to get a top jock. Sometimes the trainer doesn't get to race horses where they belong, and sometimes it's due to the owner.

It is the proverbial "hampster wheel" of training and running a barn. People sometimes forget who some of the high % trainers were before they were high % trainers.

Eric

My post is not meant to be a GENERAL critique of the trainer. For all I know, he's quite capable and I've noted that I BET HIS HORSE. And I'll bet her again if she gets in tomorrow.

I just think it's an incredibly IRONIC turn of events. What are the ODDS that
you saddle 2 horses for a race; the saddle slips on the one that has NO SHOT, causing it to veer into the other, clipping heels and dropping the other jock? (Of course, if he were seriously injured I wouldn't make light of it.)
And this would be the 2nd race in a row that a horse I bet loses the jock.

Get my drift?

This is uncommon shit.

Edward DeVere
05-27-2007, 12:44 AM
I was on the same horse in the same race. I didn't, and don't blame, Espinoza - the entrymate jumped right in front of him!

I blamed the other jock, until I read the saddle slipped.

By the way, if the saddle slips, is it the jock's fault, or somebody's else's?

ELA
05-27-2007, 12:58 AM
My post is not meant to be a GENERAL critique of the trainer. For all I know, he's quite capable and I've noted that I BET HIS HORSE. And I'll bet her again if she gets in tomorrow.

I just think it's an incredibly IRONIC turn of events. What are the ODDS that
you saddle 2 horses for a race; the saddle slips on the one that has NO SHOT, causing it to veer into the other, clipping heels and dropping the other jock? (Of course, if he were seriously injured I wouldn't make light of it.)
And this would be the 2nd race in a row that a horse I bet loses the jock.

Get my drift?

This is uncommon shit.

I don't know the guy, but he obviously doesn't have a high powered barn. Not that it speaks to this guy, or this issue, but often there is a lot more to the story.

Like I said . . .

Uncommon? Bad luck? Well, that's life in the big city, LOL. Irony is commonplace in the racing game. I got your point, which I why I said what I said.

Eric

the_fat_man
05-27-2007, 01:14 PM
I was on the same horse in the same race. I didn't, and don't blame, Espinoza - the entrymate jumped right in front of him!

I blamed the other jock, until I read the saddle slipped.

By the way, if the saddle slips, is it the jock's fault, or somebody's else's?

Not a question of 'blaming' anyone.

If you intentionally tried to get these events to occur, chances are, you probably couldn't.

The trainer or his staff typically saddle the horses.

The 'offending' entry was last and Espinoza was second last. But you can see he's not paying attention ---- better put, he's not expecting a horse that's behind him to veer into him. When I ride my bike in the very dangerous street of NYC, I'm typically aware not only of what's happening in front of me BUT in back and to each side, as well. But that's just me. I suppose I've avoided quite a few crashes that way.