PDA

View Full Version : Pray for Jockey Andrew Lakeman

Premier Turf Club
05-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Critically injured in a bad spill at BEL today. Let's all hope for a miraculous recovery.:(

Not a household name, but a hard trier that just didn't get the mounts.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/85239.html

gIracing
05-25-2007, 10:05 PM
i saw it as it happened.. I knew it didn't look good then.

best wishies

DanG
05-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Absolutely Ian,

Horrific spill and yet another reminder of the risks these athletes take.

PaceAdvantage
05-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Oh man, this does not sound good.

Unbelievably, shortly after the spill, TVG was REPORTING that Lakeman simply suffered a "broken nose."

What I'd like to know is, who fed TVG this obviously incomplete (and perhaps altogether inaccurate) information?

Imagine for a moment you are a member of Lakeman's family watching TVG, and then you get a phone call some time later informing you of what REALLY happened!

Here's hoping a miracle outcome.

46zilzal
05-26-2007, 12:11 AM
In the first few minutes after severe trauma it often appears that a person is fine, that is until the internal bleeding starts.

let's hope for a rally...

PaceAdvantage
05-26-2007, 12:35 AM
In the first few minutes after severe trauma it often appears that a person is fine, that is until the internal bleeding starts.

Considering the DRF report said he was motionless on the track, it does not appear that there could have been much confusion early on as to the severity of the situation....except to the person reporting to TVG....

cj
05-26-2007, 12:45 AM
At no point did he ever look fine.

46zilzal
05-26-2007, 12:45 AM
Considering the DRF report said he was motionless on the track, it does not appear that there could have been much confusion early on as to the severity of the situation....except to the person reporting to TVG....
speaking in general ..... I did not read any specific descriptions of the scene.

samyn on the green
05-26-2007, 03:06 AM
I really hate to see these guys get hurt. I have a soft spot for those that are struggling to realize their dreams. The same horse with Lakeman up almost caused a similar disaster in April.

NY Post 26APR
NINTH RACE: Weird race. Near disaster right after break, coming down turf chute, as 61-1 Our Montana Dream came in under Andrew Lakeman, bumping That's Good and Timirene, then forcing Mike Luzzi to take up sharply on Playingintheband, almost putting him over fence. Then 17-1 Selina's Mask, making first start on grass, first longer than six furlongs, shot to lead, appeared very rank around clubhouse turn, down backside as apprentice Jesus Ponce stood up in saddle trying to control her. Horse and rider fought to top of stretch, when Ponce set her down and Selina's Mask took command, held off run of Absolutely Lov

Zman179
05-26-2007, 08:41 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2007/05/26/2007-05-26_jock_badly_hurt_in_belmont_spill.html

kenwoodallpromos
05-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Yes praying for a good outcome.
And hopefully after the avoidable problems are really dealt with, racing luck will be on the side of the rest (sounds like this one may have been unavoidable regardless).

skate
05-26-2007, 08:44 PM
i dont know if he'll ride but he'll come back, i see that in him.the cost is going to be very high and im waituing to see i9f it's covered.

bigmack
05-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Charles Hayward, New York Racing Association President and CEO, visited the hospital Saturday and provided details of the injuries."We got the opportunity to talk to one of the trauma physicians in attendance when Andrew was admitted,'' Hayward said. "He was extremely unstable, had lost a lot of blood and had precipitously low blood pressure. He did not suffer any head trauma. There's no evidence of any brain damage. He did have severe spine trauma, the implications of which is why they're not making any prognosis or projections.

"We did see him briefly. He was on a respirator and pretty heavily sedated. He's still critical, but he is stable and certainly much improved from his situation when he was admitted.''

BUD
05-26-2007, 09:05 PM
I was watching the race with my 11 year old daughter...
I'll keep him in my prayers.

fouroneone
05-26-2007, 09:10 PM
def will keep him in my prayers.

according to the post, he kept to himself and lived in a dorm on the backstretch...his next of kin contact info on his jock card is just written as "mother"

Premier Turf Club
05-26-2007, 09:37 PM
A very sad story. A really good guy just trying to make a living do what he loved. It's a miracle their was no head trauma, lets just keep praying for a happy ending.

GaryG
05-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Praying for the Lord's touch.

shanta
05-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Praying for the Lord's touch.

Amen.

Tom
05-27-2007, 11:13 AM
NY Post reports today that he is doing significantly better than when he arrived at the hospital Friday. By no means out of the woods, and paralysis is still a possibilty....one step at a time.

Premier Turf Club
05-27-2007, 12:24 PM
NY Post reports today that he is doing significantly better than when he arrived at the hospital Friday. By no means out of the woods, and paralysis is still a possibilty....one step at a time.

That's great news. Let's keep praying for him.

Indulto
05-27-2007, 01:58 PM
I can’t help wondering what Lakeman’s prognosis would be if the injury had occurred at Aqueduct rather than Belmont? Given the reactions in this thread to this terrible situation, perhaps some of us might view the jockey protest earlier this year from a different perspective than they did at the time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/sports/othersports/08racing.html?ex=1180411200&en=2f738106cb828cdc&ei=5070 (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/sports/othersports/08racing.html?ex=1180411200&en=2f738106cb828cdc&ei=5070)

Aqueduct Jockeys Face Safety Issues in Icy Cold
By BILL FINLEY

cj
05-27-2007, 02:54 PM
It is hard to say. It seems like time was a big factor here, so if it happened at Aqueduct, maybe Jamaica would have been the place to go.

bigmack
06-01-2007, 10:40 PM
I asked a business associate to stick his nose in the hospital for an update. He's in what they call, surgical intensive care.
Prayers and good thoughts are invited by all.

Ron
06-01-2007, 11:24 PM
I asked a business associate to stick his nose in the hospital for an update. He's in what they call, surgical intensive care.
Prayers and good thoughts are invited by all.

I think we all find it hard to believe that a surgeon is a business associate of yours, and that he is going to go to North Shore hospital for you to check up on Lakeman. Do you personally know Andrew Lakeman?

PaceAdvantage
06-01-2007, 11:43 PM
I think we all find it hard to believe that a surgeon is a business associate of yours, and that he is going to go to North Shore hospital for you to check up on Lakeman. Do you personally know Andrew Lakeman?

Can't you folks give it a rest, especially in this thread? I get it...you don't like Mack, he don't like you....

If you have personal issues, use the PRIVATE MESSAGING function to contact Mack and voice your concern.

GaryG
06-15-2007, 04:47 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/85793.html

He is taking it pretty rough....still needs your prayers

Ivan
06-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Poor little dude

Good News is it looks like he's going to live...He has many years left

:cool:

ranchwest
06-15-2007, 06:04 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/85793.html

He is taking it pretty rough....still needs your prayers

He's got my prayers.

boomman
06-15-2007, 07:35 PM
I invited my announcer colleagues on another message board to match my donation to the fund that BEST just set-up in NY. We are getting all of the info now (as I believe they also have it set-up to accept donations via telephone), and I invite everyone here on Pace Advantage to "pitch in" what you can as well. Anything we can do to help I'm sure would be appreciated by the Lakeman family, and he will continue to be in my families' thoughts and prayers as well.......Boomer