PDA

View Full Version : Is p val coming back?

jrocker
05-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Hope to see at Del mar.

Greyfox
05-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Hope to see at Del mar.

If he is, it'll be "hair today , gone tomorrow.":lol:

jrocker
05-25-2007, 11:13 AM
If he is, it'll be "hair today , gone tomorrow.":lol:

Yeah he will have to be drug tested before they reinstate his license. I know he is a junkie But still a good jock for his age.

46zilzal
05-25-2007, 11:16 AM
what is it now 14 strikes are your'e out?

His uncle had major booze problems. We used to have an Ismail alert: we looked at the whites of his eyes and if they were crimsom (most often) it would be an "Ismail off angle day.

If I were another rider, I would get all of them to boycott if he was re-instated. He is a hazard.

Same in any profession where you have to be sharp and need all your faculties.

cj's dad
05-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Has Pval become the Steve Howell of horse racing:mad:

Besides the safety factor previously mentioned, what about the integrity of the game. While casual players may not grasp the seriousness of this situation, I am sure that PA site members do understand the inherent issues here.

Junkies are known for lying, scamming, cheating, flim-flamming, you name it.

Is a bad ride by Pval the same as a bad ride by another jock??

If he misjudges the finish line, was it an honest mistake??

Did he really need to pull up??

He loses a stirrup or drops the riegns; bad luck or is the fix in??

This game is hard enough to beat without having to factor in the integrity,motives of the jockey.

Let him stay clean for 5 years and prove it weekly at his cost and MAYBE he gets re-instated.

jrocker
05-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Has Pval become the Steve Howell of horse racing:mad:

Besides the safety factor previously mentioned, what about the integrity of the game. While casual players may not grasp the seriousness of this situation, I am sure that PA site members do understand the inherent issues here.

Junkies are known for lying, scamming, cheating, flim-flamming, you name it.

Is a bad ride by Pval the same as a bad ride by another jock??

If he misjudges the finish line, was it an honest mistake??

Did he really need to pull up??

He loses a stirrup or drops the riegns; bad luck or is the fix in??

This game is hard enough to beat without having to factor in the integrity,motives of the jockey.

Let him stay clean for 5 years and prove it weekly at his cost and MAYBE he gets re-instated.

Good point! I guess i never looked at it that way. Well bring back Felipe Martinez then:)

Greyfox
05-25-2007, 11:51 AM

He was suspended several times, the last time in 2004.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that he's been suspended.
I heard that he had cracked ribs.....but ...when those ribs heal
you can be sure he'll be tested.

cj's dad
05-25-2007, 11:59 AM
From the original post and Pval's "track record" , I assumed the "comeback" was

from a drug related suspension ! OOPS !!!

I'll save my original post and resubmit when he does get suspended again:lol:

GaryG
05-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Patrick has always had a way with owners. He spends time, scmoozes with them and feeds them the bs that they want to hear.

Greyfox
05-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Patrick has always had a way with owners. He spends time, scmoozes with them and feeds them the bs that they want to hear.

When he's clean, he's one of the finest riders in the game. He's fearless.

rrpic6
05-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Amen to that. I can't imagine any bettor taking cheap shots at PVal here or anywhere. He might not be popular with his fellow jocks, but he gives every betting man a fair shot. His age might be a factor now in recovering from back and rib injuries. Hope someone on board here can get some reliable scoop on his comback plans, or retirement.

gIracing
05-25-2007, 01:58 PM
wasnt' he the original jockey for lava man?

Dan Montilion
05-25-2007, 03:36 PM
I agree with rrpic6. However, if he does return, his send/slash first move style might not be of the same advantage on artificial dirt as opposed to dirt.

bigmack
05-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I'll back that all day long.

All you Buckwheats slamin' him for his demons should be so lucky to be so talented at whatever it is that you do.

Bruddah
05-25-2007, 05:01 PM
me as a "BuckWheat". However, PVal's associates may not be so lucky, as he is a 'JUNKIE". It really has no bearing on me risking my money. It does mean others bettng their lives or use of limbs.

I believe all should receive 2nd and some cases 3rd chances. However, it doesn't mean their addiction should receive a turnstile pass, to come and go as they please. Especially, at the risk of others life and limbs. JMHO :kiss:

toetoe
05-25-2007, 07:29 PM
We already have to read the pinheads' minds every race. PVal would be no different.

As to Uncle Milo, maybe Wynone Harris was talking to Milo when he sang(*), "Your eyes look like two cherries in a glass of buttermilk." :D

* From "Don't Roll Those Bloodshot Eyes at Me."

46zilzal
05-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Wayne Harris was an under-rated rider...

Greyfox
05-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Wayne Harris? A Great All American Football player at University of Arkansas.
Rode quarterbacks to the ground.

banacek
05-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Wayne Harris? A Great All American Football player at University of Arkansas.
Rode quarterbacks to the ground.

Calgary Stampeders 1960's? Saw him many times!

cj's dad
05-26-2007, 12:27 AM
I'll back that all day long.

All you Buckwheats slamin' him for his demons should be so lucky to be so talented at whatever it is that you do.

I'm not sure what a buckwheat is:confused: but I guarantee you that I am as talented at what i do as he is and I have never been f---ing suspended from work for testing G-d D--n positive for heroin, cocaine or whatever. So, if you want to kiss his a-- the next time you see him, go right ahead. He is a God Damn Junkie until he proves over an extended period of time that he is clean and has no right taking people's wagers until proven clean from his ADDICTION !!!!!

This a--hole has diminished the integrity of the sport and if he never rides again, it will be too soon !!!! Does the name Barry Bonds ring a bell???:confused:

bigmack
05-26-2007, 12:39 AM
Next thing you know people are going to start slanderous chatter about my next door neighbor in Rancho Mirage.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/Untitled-1.jpg

You don't have to like PV, that's fine. Don't bother posturing that he wasn't a hell of jock. Diminished the integrity of the sport? Tyson couldn't even do that to this sport

Greyfox
05-26-2007, 12:51 AM
cj's dad and big mack

re: Two Outstanding Athletes.

You both raise good points.
For me.... the jury is still out.

DanG
05-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Unbelievable raw talent and the finest ‘send rider I have ever seen in his prime.

Side story on his demeanor in the jocks room which led to MANY confrontations.

He had that “battle of the sexes” vs. Julie Krone a while back, as we now Krone opened up several in the stretch and P Val looked hopelessly beaten. He beat that poor animal half to death, but he got up in a miracle finish.

When returning to the jocks room all the riders were laughing and giving Julie a hard time. P. Val grabs the microphone and yells out…”What are you guys laughing at; she’s the only one here who gives me any competition”.

Issue’s galore, but clearly one of the all time greats IMO.

46zilzal
05-26-2007, 01:32 AM
I hadn't realized that suspensions had been this frequent from Wikipedia:"During the 1990s, he was suspened by racing authorities 8 times and in 2000 another suspension kept him out of racing for 22 months. Problems emerged again in January 2004 that resulted in suspension but he came back to win top jockey honors during the 2004-2005 racing season at Santa Anita Park."

WJ47
05-26-2007, 03:55 PM
cj's dad and big mack

re: Two Outstanding Athletes.

You both raise good points.
For me.... the jury is still out.

I see the points of CJ's Dad and Big Mack too. I think that Pval has unbelievable talent, a true gift. However, why does he keep crapping over his gift? I understand addiction well. My husband's brother is probably the worst alcoholic I've ever seen. He's a nurse and well educated, born with the blessings of intelligence and good looks. He had a beautiful girlfriend who loved him, a good job, a gorgeous home, and a promising future. He threw it all away because he can't stop drinking. When my husband dragged him to rehab the last time, his BAC was 4.5%. The clinic said that they'd never seen anyone that drunk and it was a clinic that treats alcoholism! Now he sleeps in his car, he lost his job, his fiance, his home, and he's got to file for bankruptcy. He's been arrested several times in the past year. Nothing was motivation enough for him to get clean and sober. It's a shame too because he's a really nice guy. I guess the point is, would anyone want him taking care of their relatives in the hospital after he's been on a bender?

Being a jockey is dangerous enough without having to worry that one of your colleagues is going to be under the influence of drugs and possibly cause an accident.

I like the suggestion of CJ's Dad that Pval should be tested weekly for a period of time and be allowed to ride if he's continued to be clean.

I miss seeing Pval ride, I've cashed alot of good wagers on him. I think he's probably got more skill and talent than any other jockey riding. I realize this time he is out with an injury so maybe he is currenly working on his addictions and getting treatment now.

turfbar
05-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Regarding P.Val some thoughts first of all this "AIN'T" the 40's or the 50's were drug use was the demon and users were condemned, I hope we have made some progress in understanding drugs,and if you don't understand ask your kids because they do.
Drugs are pervasive in the US,and I believe some people can and do live productive lives 'using', to condemn P Val is wrong, now I am speculating here but he makes tons of money so he can support his habit and probably only gets the best 'shit' , he is not a degenerate begging and selling what not to feed his addiction. So far he hasn't hurt or maimed anybody on the track or the highways
so he has made it this far so he must be doing something right.There needs to be different approach to how we deal with drugs as we evolve into this century and the next, a better understanding because drugs are not just going to go away.
The reference we the reader compared Barry Bonds to P.Val ru kidding ?

cj's dad
05-27-2007, 06:13 PM
[

You don't have to like PV, that's fine. Don't bother posturing that he wasn't a hell of jock. Diminished the integrity of the sport? Tyson couldn't even do that to this sport[/QUOTE]

Boxing is completely dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

Drew
05-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah that is why the De La Hoya PPV drew over 2 MILLION buys.

One of the biggest PPV's ever. Yep dead as a door nail. It is about how you promote and present something. If it isn't done right you will not draw well. Most of boxing isn't done well so thus no one cares.

Kelso
05-28-2007, 09:28 PM
I hope we have made some progress in understanding drugs,and if you don't understand ask your kids because they do.
Drugs are pervasive in the US,and I believe some people can and do live productive lives 'using',

We sure have, sonny ... we've learned that ALL narcotics have a long-term deleterious effect on the human body. We've also learned that EVERYONE who uses narcotics without an overriding medical need for them is F**KIN' STUPID!! Stupid jockeys shouldn't be allowed to endanger other jockeys.

(BTW, I personally think everyone has a God-given right to choose to be stupid with his own body ... but not with ANYBODY else's body.)

now I am speculating here but he makes tons of money so he can support his habit and probably only gets the best 'shit'

I'm sure he can afford the finest booze, too. Should he be given a pass, then, on riding hammered .... or on sharing the road with your mother while he's blistered from Johnny Black?

Time to grow up, Turf. Use your head, before too many more brain cells go dark.