PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you were Bud Selig

philsfan07
05-24-2007, 01:52 PM
..you know SOMETIME this year, one of the most dispicable, hated, morally bankrupt people to ever roam the earth is going to break the most hallowed sports record and you know that technically, he has never tested positive for roids. You've dodged the question as to whether you will be there when the homerun is hit, but you can only dodge so long.

Do you suck it up and go and support the record?

Do you refuse to show up? And if so, what is the reasoning?

JustRalph
05-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Reinstate Pete Rose and Quit 2 minutes after the press release.

No reason to worry about the Bonds problem.......it would take most of the press away from Bonds................Touche! :lol:

OTM Al
05-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Go, get it over with and move on. Personally could care less if he has the record. Records including this one are over rated. He won't have it for long anyway. Alex Rodriguez cracks 500 probably some time in late July, right around his 32nd birthday. Won't even be 40 when he passes Bonds.

philsfan07
05-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Go, get it over with and move on. Personally could care less if he has the record. Records including this one are over rated. He won't have it for long anyway. Alex Rodriguez cracks 500 probably some time in late July, right around his 32nd birthday. Won't even be 40 when he passes Bonds.

Great, one hated player after another..

OTM Al
05-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Only by the media and those they have unduly influenced I'm afraid. This guy was the love of all media until he came to New York but before he made one play here they were already turning on him. Think about it rationally. This guy has said some dumb things but hey, he's an athlete so what do you expect? He has diplayed none of the venom of Bonds, which I think is also somewhat blown out of proportion, but some is real certainly. I know he's had problems in the playoffs lately, but they don't even get there a couple of those years without him. Might be the best all around player you will see in your life. Enjoy while you can.

rastajenk
05-24-2007, 11:48 PM
How would Bud being there add or subtract anything from the moment? It's not like he's handing over a trophy or a check or anything of substance. Even if Barry was clean and liked, the presence of a commish is insignificant. I realize there's some symbolism involved, but it's a phony, ginned-up kind of symbolism that will mean nothing in the long run, one way or the other.

ELA
05-25-2007, 12:31 AM
How would Bud being there add or subtract anything from the moment? It's not like he's handing over a trophy or a check or anything of substance. Even if Barry was clean and liked, the presence of a commish is insignificant. I realize there's some symbolism involved, but it's a phony, ginned-up kind of symbolism that will mean nothing in the long run, one way or the other.

As I am sure almost everyone knows, it has been customary for the commissioner to be present at times like this. It is more than symbolic in that not being there would be making a very loud and significant statement -- one that in my opinion should have been made a long time ago.

Unfortunately, far too much damage has been done, nothing has been done about this situation, and thus the statement will not be loud nor have any substance.

If Selig is prepared to make a stand -- now -- then he should use this event as the turning point. This could and should be the shift in facing the problem head on. He should not be present at the event.

Eric

kenwoodallpromos
05-25-2007, 07:50 AM
If I were BS I would do what I did in the All-star game and when a tie was reached declare it over!!
The commissioner makes baseball all about BS anyway!

philsfan07
05-25-2007, 07:53 AM

Yes, it's a formality, but in essence, it means more if he isn't there than if he was.

All he needs is a picture of him shaking Bond's hand after the homerun, then Bonds getting nailed 6 months later. That wouldn't look too good.

JPinMaryland
05-28-2007, 10:54 PM
As I am sure almost everyone knows, it has been customary for the commissioner to be present at times like this.

I understand Kuhn was not there for Henry Aaron's record breaker so I dont know how customary it has been. Perhaps in more recent times?

ELA
05-28-2007, 11:10 PM
I understand Kuhn was not there for Henry Aaron's record breaker so I dont know how customary it has been. Perhaps in more recent times?

Kuhn was present when Aaron hit # 714 which tied Ruth's record, but he was not there when he hit the record breaking # 715. I don't know if there was anything behind that or not, but many have said he had some committment that he could not break. I don't know any of the details.

Eric

OTM Al
05-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Might be wrong, but I'm thinking I heard this being discussed and that he did have something he had to attend that day but had made arrangements to be there the next

JPinMaryland
05-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah they discussed it the other day now that I recall. Kuhn said he had a longstanding engagement that he could not break, although what it was nobody seems to recall.

What about for Pete Rose breaking Ty Cobb's record. Was anyone there for that? Or was it just happening too fast for the Comm'r to be in every city?