PDA

View Full Version : logic prevails

46zilzal
05-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Chagossians win right to go home.The people of the Chagos Islands could be able to return to their homeland in the Indian Ocean after a victory in the British high court.
The Chagossians were removed from the archipelago more than 40 years ago when Britain granted the US permission to build an air and naval base on the largest atoll, Diego Garcia.

The court dismissed an appeal by the foreign office against their return, saying on Wednesday that the right to go home was "one of the most fundamental liberties known to human beings".

Providing the result is not challenged the islanders could return home as soon as they can arrange transport.

The court has refused to grant the government an immediate right of appeal, but the foreign office will be able to petition the House of Lords, the country's highest court, to review the case.

Diego Garcia has been used in US military campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the British government has argued that it would not be right for the Chagossians to be allowed home because of security concerns.

Tom
05-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Any of them born in the last 40 years would not be going home. They were never there. Be clear about this - or are you auditioning for Fox News?

linrom1
05-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Chagossians win right to go home.The people of the Chagos Islands could be able to return to their homeland in the Indian Ocean after a victory in the British high court.
The Chagossians were removed from the archipelago more than 40 years ago when Britain granted the US permission to build an air and naval base on the largest atoll, Diego Garcia.

The court dismissed an appeal by the foreign office against their return, saying on Wednesday that the right to go home was "one of the most fundamental liberties known to human beings".

Providing the result is not challenged the islanders could return home as soon as they can arrange transport.

The court has refused to grant the government an immediate right of appeal, but the foreign office will be able to petition the House of Lords, the country's highest court, to review the case.

Diego Garcia has been used in US military campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the British government has argued that it would not be right for the Chagossians to be allowed home because of security concerns.

Great, now US taxpayers will have to support them.

GaryG
05-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Any of them born in the last 40 years would not be going home. They were never there. Be clear about this - or are you auditioning for Fox News?Maybe he is a Chagossian.

Tom
05-23-2007, 05:17 PM
WE have the base there, I say, try and come home! :lol:

kenwoodallpromos
05-23-2007, 10:00 PM
I was in transit there for 6 days in then 1980's. Most important base we and the Brits have west of San Diego.

chickenhead
05-23-2007, 10:05 PM
saying on Wednesday that the right to go home was "one of the most fundamental liberties known to human beings".

You hear that Mom? better clear all your sewing crap out of my old room! :lol:

I'm impressed zz, not every day does one see a reference as obscure as the Chagossians

Tom
05-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Are they from Chicago?

And the premise of this thread is under protest.....who says it is logical to begin with?

JustRalph
05-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Diego Garcia is very important. I can tell you that sometimes Airplanes land there and suddenly "break down" when it is convenient for someone who is hiding from another country. I have some experience in this area from my time in the Air Force. It is amazing how long it can take to get Airplane parts out there............... :lol:

PaceAdvantage
05-24-2007, 02:36 AM
46zilzal, are you going to keep posting paragraph after paragraph of copyrighted material until I am forced to kick you off?

Of course, when that time comes, you and your pals here will ONLY cry about how biased I am, kicking you off because of your POLITICAL BELIEFS. They will conveniently forget about your constant violations of BASIC board guidelines.

46zilzal
05-24-2007, 02:40 AM
I take a smalll part of the whole........If that is too much, I will put up less....It is the only way to make a point with documentation. I try never to reproduce the entire thing.

PaceAdvantage
05-24-2007, 03:01 AM
I take a smalll part of the whole........If that is too much, I will put up less....It is the only way to make a point with documentation. I try never to reproduce the entire thing.

It's tough to tell whether you are reproducing the whole thing or not....for instance, in the first post of this thread, you cite NO source, so I have no idea how much you have copied.

I have always allowed two paragraphs (+/- one) plus a LINK to the source. That's always been my rule of thumb.

kenwoodallpromos
05-24-2007, 08:05 AM
(Note: This quotation is public domain!!)

"The distinction between “fair use” and infringement may be unclear and not easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission. Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission.

The 1961 Report of the Register of Copyrights on the General Revision of the U.S. Copyright Law cites ****examples of activities that courts have regarded as fair use: “quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism for purposes of illustration or ****comment; quotation of short passages in a scholarly or technical work, for illustration or clarification of the author's observations; use in a parody of some of the content of the work parodied; summary of an address or article, with brief quotations, in a news report; reproduction by a library of a portion of a work to replace part of a damaged copy; reproduction by a teacher or student of a small part of a work to illustrate a lesson; reproduction of a work in legislative or judicial proceedings or reports; incidental and fortuitous reproduction, in a newsreel or broadcast, of a work located in the scene of an event being reported.”
_______
The idea of just throwing quotes out without commenting does not even help the threads IMO!!

PaceAdvantage
05-25-2007, 01:59 AM
Like I said, two paragraphs and a link....