PDA

View Full Version : The Best, reasonable 'horseracing Laptop'

philsfan07
05-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Anyone have any suggestions on a nice, reasonably priced laptop that will be used for almost strictly horseracing purposes? (Wagering, video, spreasheets exclusively)??

The only stipulations would be that I would like to set up a 2 screen system.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

philsfan07
05-22-2007, 10:28 AM
I am leaning towards one of the 2.. Just not sure what is different about them or which is the better deal:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba-Satellite-15-4-Widescreen-Notebook-PC-A135-S4527/sem/rpsm/oid/176349/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8309966&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050014&id=1173577987737

BillW
05-22-2007, 11:53 AM
I bought a refurb IBM Thinkpad 4 years ago and never regretted it. It's still ticking BTW. On reputation alone, of your 2 choices, I'd look hard at the Toshiba. Seek advise on whether to try to get WinXP on it rather than the Vista that it comes with. Some have had problems.

philsfan07
05-22-2007, 01:08 PM
I bought a refurb IBM Thinkpad 4 years ago and never regretted it. It's still ticking BTW. On reputation alone, of your 2 choices, I'd look hard at the Toshiba. Seek advise on whether to try to get WinXP on it rather than the Vista that it comes with. Some have had problems.

I would put XP Pro on it, screw Vista..

Dave Schwartz
05-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Personally, I still find that Intel processors are significantly slower than AMDs, especially in running our software because it is so data-intensive.

I would suggest that you begin at Costco.com, on the AMD notebook page, specifically with the Turion processor. At starting price $952 you get a good machine.

Important upgrades:

7200 rpm hard drive
RAM, RAM, RAM

I went to the site a configured an excellent machine with 2gbRam and 7200 rpm:

HP Pavilion dv9000z Online price *: $1,209.99

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

rrbauer
05-22-2007, 02:33 PM
I posted this some time ago (Feb) but I bot the machine that David mentioned on Ubid with just 1GB memory and the 80GB hard drive for $650 with XP Media Center Op System. It has 17" screen. Then I bot the docking station (without hard drive) at Office Depot for under $200 (don't remember the exact price, but it was on sale). The docking station includes a wireless keyboard and mouse. It was for my wife and she loves it. I've used it a number of times and it is pretty cool. I'm still trying to wear out a 1999 HP Pavilion laptop (running XP Pro) that I use for my horse racing road warrior duties. The only maintenance for that guy so far has been a new battery. My previous laptops were Toshiba models. Never had one crap out. Did have to replace a battery once.

I would agree about getting XP Pro instead of Vista if that's an option with the main reason that XP Pro with SP2 is pretty much bullet proof and the fact that some software manufacturers have been slow in getting their products certified for Vista.

skate
05-22-2007, 02:48 PM
i see. "IBM", is serious about a new chip. for what its worth.

if i go for another pc, id try Linux, and have both xp and linus running.

Hp has been great for me, cept battery went, i really never put it to use.

as for the speed, for racing only, i think your connection, sp, would be important

Dave Schwartz
05-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Skate,

Personally, I am a big fan of Linux (for web servers).

What value do you feel it has for the "typical" user who does not programming (or at least not in any language beyond VB)?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

BillW
05-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Skate,

What value do you feel it has for the "typical" user who does not programming (or at least not in any language beyond VB)?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Linux is by far the best if you do your own stuff (C/C++, Python, Ruby etc.), otherwise your right - only runs handicapping programs via emulator which is more than likely more painful than running native (No experience, just techie intuition). It does run Adobe reader just as well for the PP only crowd. :)

linrom1
05-22-2007, 07:17 PM
I am leaning towards one of the 2.. Just not sure what is different about them or which is the better deal:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba-Satellite-15-4-Widescreen-Notebook-PC-A135-S4527/sem/rpsm/oid/176349/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8309966&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050014&id=1173577987737

Both of these computers are too slow to run Vista. You need at least 2-4GB memory.

linrom1
05-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Personally, I still find that Intel processors are significantly slower than AMDs, especially in running our software because it is so data-intensive.

I would suggest that you begin at Costco.com, on the AMD notebook page, specifically with the Turion processor. At starting price $952 you get a good machine.

Important upgrades:

7200 rpm hard drive
RAM, RAM, RAM

I went to the site a configured an excellent machine with 2gbRam and 7200 rpm:

HP Pavilion dv9000z Online price *: $1,209.99

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

AMD's processors run hotter than Intel's, so they are great if you live up north; they save you money on your heating bills. However, if you live in the south and intent to run it on your lap, better get a fan. :D

Dave Schwartz
05-22-2007, 08:16 PM
And the fan you want is...

http://www.byteccusa.com/product/cooler/nc-500.htm

We have them for all our laptops.

Besides, I see a laptop as a "portable" more than a "notebook." (But I draw the line at a 17" monitor - I will not lug a 19".)

Dave

andicap
05-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Laptop repair pros have recommended Acers to me as very reliable.

Toshibas they say, not so much. They say to stay away.

Thinkpads are excellent as well, but a bit pricey.
They say the high-end Dells are much more reliable than the cheaper ones.

They mostly recommend Intel over AMD chips.

skate
05-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Dave; sorry im late.

i was thinking more to my point of "try" and at the same time it was a reminder to whomever it reminded.

i find 'any situation' that i envolve myself, as a hit and miss experiment., including this thought about Linux.

however, why i would try linux (other than to have a look see) is because IMO,the need for 'bug' protection would decrease.
these anti bug guys tend to slow down my ballgame.

skate
05-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Both of these computers are too slow to run Vista. You need at least 2-4GB memory.

good point there...

thanks

Dave Schwartz
05-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Skate,

Boy, are you right.

Dave

tupper
05-23-2007, 06:53 PM

What value do you feel it has for the "typical" user who does not programming (or at least not in any language beyond VB)?Linux has a lot of value for the typical user.

Most Linux users don't know anything about programming, they just enjoy:
- the ease of use;
- the solidity and security (no hassles with viruses, trojans, etc., no registry, no rebooting when a program crashes nor after installing a program);
- the plethora of quality, easy-to-install open-source software;
- the cutting-edge graphics (Beryl/Compiz, Looking Glass, E-17, etc).

And, of course, everything is FREE!

To give you an idea of how easy Linux is to use, I am typing this message on my Mom's Mepis Linux box -- she is 81-years-old!

For those interested in exploring Linux, my advice is to run a LiveCD. A LiveCD allows one to try a version of Linux before installing it (keep in mind that LiveCDs run much slower than if the version of Linux was running off of the hard drive).

rrbauer
05-24-2007, 09:10 AM
http://www.spliseindex.com/Laptops/modelIndex.html?coreProductTypeId=71&displayMode=allModels

BillW
05-24-2007, 09:29 AM
tupper,

The fact still remains that commercial handicapping software will not run on a Linux box (with the possible exception of All-in-one which I believe is written in Java). I've been using Linux for 12 years now (back to the pre 1.00 Kernel) and do all my own handicapping software there, but I still need to keep windows on my laptop to run the bit of commercial handicapping software that I do run. Believe me, if it were my choice, I could find much better use of that partition on my laptop HD.

Linux has a lot of value for the typical user.

Most Linux users don't know anything about programming, they just enjoy:
- the ease of use;
- the solidity and security (no hassles with viruses, trojans, etc., no registry, no rebooting when a program crashes nor after installing a program);
- the plethora of quality, easy-to-install open-source software;
- the cutting-edge graphics (Beryl/Compiz, Looking Glass, E-17, etc).

And, of course, everything is FREE!

To give you an idea of how easy Linux is to use, I am typing this message on my Mom's Mepis Linux box -- she is 81-years-old!

For those interested in exploring Linux, my advice is to run a LiveCD. A LiveCD allows one to try a version of Linux before installing it (keep in mind that LiveCDs run much slower than if the version of Linux was running off of the hard drive).

skate
05-25-2007, 03:40 PM
along these same lines.

it will depend on you ISP "type" (cable,phone,fios, etc) but keeping in mind, how a Security system can slow you down.

verizon, with fios cable gives you (cost $8/mo.) security without slowing you down.

i just tried it out, seems to work real good vs a mc afee? type.