PDA

View Full Version : KY Derby, just another race?

NY BRED
05-22-2007, 05:06 AM
the apparent decision of the sunshine boys is not to run S.S. in the
Belmont, as he is somehow "not right."

Should Curlin win the Bel, the Ky Derby winner will surely lose any
possible honors as horse of the year, even if he wins the Travers or a Breeders cup race.

In fact, Curlin could very well steal the eclipse honor by his good finish in the Derby, winning the Preakness, and possibly winning the Belmont.

inmho, winning an eclipse award is based on the tenacity of the horse to
rebound after a loss , and not to duck a race such as the Belmont,which
could underscore the courage of the horse, as well as the owners.

Withdrawing this horse from the last leg is not what this game is about,
and whatever Breeding $ the owners feel they will receive, at this point, will
be negatively impacted.

alysheba88
05-22-2007, 07:39 AM
The purses of the TC races are a bad joke. Should be at least triple what they are now

SMOO
05-22-2007, 08:43 AM
The purses of the TC races are a bad joke. Should be at least triple what they are now
I agree, it's just one more example of the cheap-asses that control racing. Screw the fans, screw the horsemen, just squeeze every dollar that comes in. :ThmbDown:

ranchwest
05-22-2007, 09:04 AM

possible honors as horse of the year, even if he wins the Travers or a Breeders cup race.

In fact, Curlin could very well steal the eclipse honor by his good finish in the Derby, winning the Preakness, and possibly winning the Belmont.

be negatively impacted.

Who are we to tell an owner and trainer that THEIR horse, who they feel is NOT RIGHT, should run in a race, any race?

:ThmbDown:

ryesteve
05-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Should Curlin win the Bel, the Ky Derby winner will surely lose any possible honors as horse of the year, even if he wins the Travers or a Breeders cup race.
Sorry, but this is absolutely ludicrous. if Street Sense wins the Travers and the BC Classic, he wins HOY unanimously.

Ron
05-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Does trainers care about winning Eclipse awards? Do you think that's on Nafzger's mind right now?

rgustafson
05-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Ny Bred, your user name tends to indicate the somewhat bias and parochial nature of your post. For any three year old to win horse of the year, he will have to face Invasor head to head and beat him (assuming he stays sound) and whether that horse ran in the Belmont or not will be immaterial.

betovernetcapper
05-22-2007, 09:46 AM
I watched most of the Derby prep races because of the Road to the Derby contest. At some point during the week or so prior to the Derby, I got so pissed at Twin Spires and the AWD bullshit, I decided to boycott the Derby. That didn't mean that I wasn't swept up with the minutia of the race-ooh look at that work out-he's been off 33 1/2 days-what did Beyer say and blah blah blah. While I didn't play the race I did watch it on TV and when the gates opened, I had the unbidden thought something like "OK yeah gate opens-horses come out-I see this all the time-what's the big deal". IMO, it is just another horse race and the TC is just 3 more other races. And later this year when they run the Breeders Cup Mile, I hope I retain the insight that it's just another mile-seventy yard race.

shanta
05-22-2007, 09:58 AM
And later this year when they run the Breeders Cup Mile, I hope I retain the insight that it's just another mile-seventy yard race.

:lol: :lol:
Good one!

NY BRED
05-22-2007, 06:00 PM
ranchwest:

you are correct, have no right to criticize the trainer and owner
decisions on entering a race when they "feel" the horse isn't right.

the flip part is if S.S. won the Preakness, do you really think this horse would
be withdrawn from the Belmont?

The fact is the horse ran a great race, even in defeat, and the decison of the
trainer, inmho has nothing to do with the physical condition of the horse,especially when Carl criticized the ride given by Borel as the cause of the loss.

By the way, check out the Wed edition of the DRF(FRONT page) to
see if my hunch is off base.

NY BRED
05-22-2007, 06:01 PM
ranchwest:

you are correct, I have no right to criticize the trainer and owner
decisions on entering a race when they "feel" the horse isn't right.

the flip part is if S.S. won the Preakness, do you really think this horse would
be withdrawn from the Belmont?

The fact is the horse ran a great race, even in defeat, and the decison of the
trainer, inmho has nothing to do with the physical condition of the horse,especially when Carl criticized the ride given by Borel as the cause of the loss.

By the way, check out the Wed edition of the DRF(FRONT page) to
see if my hunch is off base.

ranchwest
05-22-2007, 06:05 PM
It's America. The owner/trainer get to decide. I like it that way myself.

Valuist
05-22-2007, 08:24 PM

be negatively impacted.

No, the KY Derby will NEVER be "just another race". It will be the defining race for 3YOs as long as we're alive.

The race that's just "another race" is the Belmont. With no Triple Crown possibility, does anybody care? 12 furlongs on the dirt....I can't get excited about that unless a horse is looking for the TC. Look at this decade: we've already had Jazil and Commendable win. Giacomo may not be a good Derby winner but I'd take him over those overblown NW2X runners who are "Classic" winners.

kenwoodallpromos
05-22-2007, 08:24 PM
I hate it that Carl and the owners are taking the money and running. But I do not own the horse.
Tenacity to come back from a loss- I read an interview with Street Sense- He still calims he won!

Kelso
05-22-2007, 10:34 PM
it's just one more example of the cheap-asses that control racing. Screw the fans, screw the horsemen

Isn't racing pretty much controlled by horsemen ... particularly owners? My impression is that track ownership doesn't count for much if the connections aren't making money. Could be wrong, but the owners seem to me to have a controlling say in every significant issue.

(Probably as it should be. Racing has always been their game. Betting is what the rest of us do.)

RobinFromIreland
05-22-2007, 10:44 PM
No, the KY Derby will NEVER be "just another race". It will be the defining race for 3YOs as long as we're alive.

The race that's just "another race" is the Belmont. With no Triple Crown possibility, does anybody care? 12 furlongs on the dirt....I can't get excited about that unless a horse is looking for the TC. Look at this decade: we've already had Jazil and Commendable win. Giacomo may not be a good Derby winner but I'd take him over those overblown NW2X runners who are "Classic" winners.

Don't forget Sarava.