PDA

View Full Version : The worst bet I ever made was a winning one......

Hajck Hillstrom
05-21-2007, 10:43 AM
A new all-time low was experienced on Sunday May 2, at Emerald Downs. There is a Head-to-Head wager available in the feature race, and on Sunday it was between Doris Harwood's uncoupled entry, both with ML's of 12-1. I see that DINNER AT ARLENE'S is by Forestry, and as the going was Sloppy, I thought her chances fared better than her stablemate.

Now, I'm sitting in the box behind the Harwoods, and they comment on how much DAA likes the slop and how much she should move up on it. Perfect. Assessment confirmed!

I move to the window and as the horses are loading I ponder the wager that I am about to make. I call the bet just before the gates open "$40 Head2Head on the #2" (Dinner At Arlene's).

I move back to the box with a certain degree of confidence in the wager, and as DINNER AT ARLENE'S is 4-5 and ROANAWAY BRIDE is 3-5, I even have the better price of the two.

Well, I won my bet as DAA beat RB and was rewarded with a $28 profit, but there was one little problem.... DINNER AT ARLENE'S won the race and paid $45.60!

Brilliant!

Carry on, Carry on,

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Ouch! Now THAT'S a racetrack story!

Hajck Hillstrom
05-21-2007, 07:07 PM
experienced on Sunday May 2, at Emerald Downs.
That should have read May 20th.

toetoe
05-21-2007, 10:44 PM
HH,

You can't mean that, though if you do I know you'll get over it right away, and back to business. You're portraying yourself as the typical horseplayer (which you're NOT !!) who says,

"I had the winner, but no exacta. :bang: "

"I shoulda doubled up. :bang: "

"I shoulda hooked him up with all-all-all in the pick four. :bang: "

You found a solid "match race" play and you banged it. Well done. :jump:

Zaf
05-21-2007, 11:09 PM
WOW, that is a great story ! Horse was bred to do that !

Z

Ron
05-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Were the Bride AND Groom both running? :lol:

Ron
05-21-2007, 11:23 PM
HH,

You can't mean that, though if you do I know you'll get over it right away, and back to business. You're portraying yourself as the typical horseplayer (which you're NOT !!) who says,

"I had the winner, but no exacta. :bang: "

"I shoulda doubled up. :bang: "

"I shoulda hooked him up with all-all-all in the pick four. :bang: "

Were you at my house Saturday?

Hajck Hillstrom
05-22-2007, 12:44 AM
HH,

You can't mean that, though if you do I know you'll get over it right away, and back to business. You're portraying yourself as the typical horseplayer

You found a solid "match race" play and you banged it. Well done. :jump:

Its just that it was the very first time I'd ever made the Head2Head wager, as it just isn't my style. It was also the first time I ever saw the wager offered on two horses by the same trainer. Seemed to me that a barn could have made a killing on this play at fixed odds. Suffice it to say that I won't be making this wager again on a horse at odds of 20-1.....if ever.

I'm not complaining.....but it was unusually self-deprecating of me to wave the ticket after the prices were posted and announce, "look at the idiot!" If DINNER AT ARLENE'S had finished 6th in the race, and beat her stablemate, I would have been quite pleased the wager.

Your point it well taken though. I maxed the wager..... just can't seem to get the bad taste out of my mouth .....

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck Hillstrom

jballscalls
05-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Its just that it was the very first time I'd ever made the Head2Head wager, as it just isn't my style. It was also the first time I ever saw the wager offered on two horses by the same trainer. Seemed to me that a barn could have made a killing on this play at fixed odds. Suffice it to say that I won't be making this wager again on a horse at odds of 20-1.....if ever.

I'm not complaining.....but it was unusually self-deprecating of me to wave the ticket after the prices were posted and announce, "look at the idiot!" If DINNER AT ARLENE'S had finished 6th in the race, and beat her stablemate, I would have been quite pleased the wager.

Your point it well taken though. I maxed the wager..... just can't seem to get the bad taste out of my mouth .....

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck Hillstrom

One thing to think about is how small the pool is on that wager. When i worked at Emerald it rarely made it over 700 or 800 bucks. so add takeout into that and any bet of any decent size can sway that pool fast.