PDA

View Full Version : Poignant tale

46zilzal
05-20-2007, 10:00 PM
I help in the production of a pre-race analysis show featuring the track handicapper and announcer. It is usually (in good weather) shot on the roof of the grandstand. As usual, setting up for the shot takes more time than the show. After arranging things we were chatting and looking over the edge down to the winner's circle. It was early, and that area was about empty but we noticed about 20 people in the circle. They were a mixed group and it looked as though they were practicing for a presentation later in the program. As it happened, I was called away for a few minutes but when I came back, I noticed this same group had made a line from the circle over to the rail and on the instruction of another person standing in front of the group, they all produce what appeared to be Tupperware, plastic and glass containers all at once. They then, ever so carefully, they opened them and dispersed ashes right across the finish line.....This was the same fate as occured to my late uncle having become a part of the Roosevelt Raceway stretch many years ago.

I later found out that this was NOT a big owner, trainer, or racing official, but just a long time racing fan who's friends and relations knew what would have made him happy to put that kind of final punctuation on his life. I envy him...

Hajck Hillstrom
05-20-2007, 11:36 PM
they opened them and dispersed ashes right across the finish line.....
a long time racing fan who's friends and relations knew what would have made him happy to put that kind of final punctuation on his life. I envy him...

It is a fine line between winning and losing.....the finish line.

The same line I've found between heaven and hell.

I have the same condition written into my will. I had hoped to have it done at Santa Anita, but listed Del Mar as a suitable backup. I originally had designated Keeneland but switched with the advent of PolyTrack. Now, with the California mandate, I may have to pursue the possibility of my ashes being dispersed on the sod......

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck

46zilzal
05-21-2007, 12:34 AM
I have the same condition written into my will. I had hoped to have it done at Santa Anita, but listed Del Mar as a suitable backup.
Bravo, Bravo!