PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Coverage

Tom
05-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Memo to ESPN:

1. Fire the new host you have.
2. Put Randy Moss back at the helm.
3. Dont EVER cut away from a Secretariat video from the start of his move to the finish line - show the whole race. Thi sis a Man-law.

This new guy brings nothing to the table. He was talking about how we might have a new Affirmed/Alydar match up with SS and HS.....Duh????? Sounds liuke he watched one vider in show prep and wrote down the names.

kenwoodallpromos
05-19-2007, 03:16 PM
You want TV racing to show a whole anything? LOL!!
Next what do you want, a monthly special showing WHOLE races of all horses who broke track records the previous month? LOL!!

Tom
05-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Did you see the little chair Andy Beyer was sitting on? :D

BeatTheChalk
05-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Memo to ESPN:

1. Fire the new host you have.
2. Put Randy Moss back at the helm.
3. Dont EVER cut away from a Secretariat video from the start of his move to the finish line - show the whole race. Thi sis a Man-law.

This new guy brings nothing to the table. He was talking about how we might have a new Affirmed/Alydar match up with SS and HS.....Duh????? Sounds liuke he watched one vider in show prep and wrote down the names.

Are u talking about Kenny Mayne ? He is not new ..by any means. Been round for several years. I dont like his style.. many folks dont. But he
is still there. I actually am not a big fan of Brother Moss. He may
know horses .. but he doesnt have the voice for announcing. In any
event I just turn off the sound and watch the Closed Captions.

Tom
05-19-2007, 05:38 PM
No,no....Kenny is PRIMO MAN, Numero Uno!

This Riece guy.....what was he, the track bartender yesterday? Real lightweight.

dylbert
05-19-2007, 05:49 PM
ESPN cast does excellent job -- especially Kenny, Randy & Jeannine. I can tolerate a little Hammer & Quint (what the heck is a "quint").

NBC is horrible with overly loud crowd noise drowning out every word spoken by announcers and others.

GaryG
05-19-2007, 05:59 PM
I am so disgusted with all of this, TVG etc, that all I want is the track feed. All the coverage ever does is make me yell at the screen and my wife looks at me funny.

OTM Al
05-19-2007, 10:41 PM
ESPN coverage was fine. NBC was sorry. I left the OTB after the 10th and went down the street. After waiting an intermitable amount of time for the bartender to switch from ESPN to NBC (I generally like dogs but this was not the time to see a dog show) The announcers came up, blathering about something, as the field in the 11th was clearly ripping down the stretch in the background. Considering I thought the 9th and 11th were terrible races I'd played a $10 straight P4 6/12/7/8. Ended up losing those last two legs by a combined 1 1/2 feet evidently. But hey, who's to know til I finally got home. Oh well, winner from the day because of the 10th but still...... And that lead announcer on NBC is the freakiest looking guy I've seen on TV. That guy really disturbs me.

BeatTheChalk
05-19-2007, 10:50 PM
ESPN coverage was fine. NBC was sorry. I left the OTB after the 10th and went down the street. After waiting an intermitable amount of time for the bartender to switch from ESPN to NBC (I generally like dogs but this was not the time to see a dog show) The announcers came up, blathering about something, as the field in the 11th was clearly ripping down the stretch in the background. Considering I thought the 9th and 11th were terrible races I'd played a $10 straight P4 6/12/7/8. Ended up losing those last two legs by a combined 1 1/2 feet evidently. But hey, who's to know til I finally got home. Oh well, winner from the day because of the 10th but still...... And that lead announcer on NBC is the freakiest looking guy I've seen on TV. That guy really disturbs me.

Yup. He Has been strange forever. I just hit the mute button and do my
best with Closed Captions. :bang: A comibed 1 and 1/2 feet ..wow. I
will never complain again

Ron
05-19-2007, 11:04 PM
What's the worst thing you saw on the infield?

I saw some guys pissing outside.

Ok, lets move on.

OTM Al
05-19-2007, 11:10 PM
The parachute guy almost landing in a portapotie? Hell guys pissing is nothing if you work in Manhattan. See it all the time....unfortunately

ELA
05-19-2007, 11:11 PM
I don't want to get into who I like, don't like, etc. Chocolate and vanilla.

However, I will say what I do like and don't like. Professionally, I work with on-air talent, commentators, etc. I like to hear what others have to say, see what perceptions are and the like, so when I am watching races with friends, family members, other fans, etc., I ask them what they think about on-air talent. I am not talking about the depth of expertise side of the coin.

Anyway, many people/fans, including me, like to hear the perspectives that the sterotypical on-air talent/commentator cannot provide. Thus, I may not like the style or the suit, but I like to hear what Jerry Bailey and Gary Stevens have to say. Often, if you understand the dynamic and flow that is at play, you can see that both Bailey and Stevens are sometimes constrained. Watch these guys when they are not constrained.

Personally, I would like to see more of the out of the box talent on air. Andy Serling for one. He has a style that is unique is very enticing for a higher, more sophisticated level of fans. However, I also know that he can speak to a lower level of sophistication and experience as well. He can reach out and grab you with his words, style, etc. and he can bring a great deal to the commentator table. I always liked Steve Crist during some those ESPN specials/ESPN Classics. I remember the Affirmed/Alydar one very well and Crist was very good. So was Bob Fox, the well known bloodstock agent/pedigree/breeding expert. Many years ago Bob developed and produced a racing show and he was very good. He might not be a "regular" type of everyday commentator, but Andy Beyer can add a great deal to a discussion, interview, etc. Lastly, Kurt Paseka also brings a lot to the table. He can play in and off other personalities and also has a grab you style.

Nobody, not one or more people as talent, are going to bring fans in mass to this sport. However, keeping the fans we have might be a good place to start.

Eric

gIracing
05-19-2007, 11:17 PM
i keep it on hrtv or TVG when possible. ESPN is alright.... i cringe when I have to change to NBC

Kelso
05-20-2007, 01:08 AM
Professionally, I work with on-air talent, commentators, etc. I like to hear what others have to say, see what perceptions are and the like,

Eric,
Would be most appreciative if you would pass allong to all talent, writers and producers that:
NOBODY GIVES TWO DAMNS HOW ANYBODY ELSE "FEELS" ABOUT ANYTHING. :mad: :mad: :mad:
This seems to be the only thing the ESPN broad knows how to ask.

<< NOTE: Caps, italics and boldface not directed at you, of course. Just that this subject is one of my pet rants. >>

Instead and please, ask interviewees what they do, did and/or will do ... what they think ... what they know ... what they think they know, even. But stop already with the damned "how do/did you FEEL!"

If I were the telecasting czar, I would fire anybody who EVER asks, in a news context, ANY FORM of the question "how do you feel."

(There, I feel so much better now. :) )

Thank you.

DanG
05-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Personally, I would like to see more of the out of the box talent on air. Andy Serling for one. He has a style that is unique is very enticing for a higher, more sophisticated level of fans. However, I also know that he can speak to a lower level of sophistication and experience as well. He can reach out and grab you with his words, style, etc. and he can bring a great deal to the commentator table. Eric
These are obviously highly subjective views.

I really enjoy ESPN’s coverage very much. I will say I half expect the “Hammer” to almost pass out :eek: one of these broadcasts though.

Kenny M., Randy Moss and Jeannine etc all excellent IMHO.:ThmbUp:

To point out the “highly subjective” point I highlighted ELA (Eric’s) post concerning Andy Serling. No offense meant Eric; I enjoy your posts very much. I was going to write a little blurb on Serling, but your post gives it context and points out how we all see many things differently. (And that’s only a GOOD thing)

I find “Little Andy” about as annoying as a human could be. He comes of bitter and vindictive and IMHO is exactly the type of person I would never give a national spotlight to. Every race doesn’t have an ‘absurd ride and it never sits well with me when people call racehorses ‘garbage etc.

There really aren’t many, but my mute button has been activated for the following talking heads from time to time. As much as I love Harvey Pack, even he hasn’t persuaded me to the charms of one Mr. Serling.

Johnny Miller ~ golf…
Tim McCarver ~ baseball…
Joe Theisman ~ football…
Andy Serling ~ racing…
But…That’s why we have remote controls and Baskin Robbins isn’t down to one flavor. :)

DJofSD
05-20-2007, 11:22 AM
No,no....Kenny is PRIMO MAN, Numero Uno!

He is the best (a la Invasor).

When I watch the races, I want to see the field in a continous manner. Don't give me a close up of the front runners. And for heaven's sake, don't give me multiple camera angels switching among them as the race progresses. A split screen for the first 2/3's of the race is good, or, having Tracus near the bottom of the screen would do too. During the replays, sure, give me the isolation cameras and the different angles.

chickenhead
05-20-2007, 11:39 AM
I miss THEA. :(

ESPN: do the right thing, bring back those classy stems.

john del riccio
05-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Memo to ESPN:

Halleh-freakin'-lulla

John:bang:

Tom
05-20-2007, 11:54 AM
What's the worst thing you saw on the infield?

I saw some guys pissing outside.

Ok, lets move on.

It was Hammerin' Hank! :lol:

point given
05-20-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't want to get into who I like, don't like, etc. Chocolate and vanilla.

However, I will say what I do like and don't like. Professionally, I work with on-air talent, commentators, etc. I like to hear what others have to say, see what perceptions are and the like, so when I am watching races with friends, family members, other fans, etc., I ask them what they think about on-air talent. I am not talking about the depth of expertise side of the coin.

Anyway, many people/fans, including me, like to hear the perspectives that the sterotypical on-air talent/commentator cannot provide. Thus, I may not like the style or the suit, but I like to hear what Jerry Bailey and Gary Stevens have to say. Often, if you understand the dynamic and flow that is at play, you can see that both Bailey and Stevens are sometimes constrained. Watch these guys when they are not constrained.

Personally, I would like to see more of the out of the box talent on air. Andy Serling for one. He has a style that is unique is very enticing for a higher, more sophisticated level of fans. However, I also know that he can speak to a lower level of sophistication and experience as well. He can reach out and grab you with his words, style, etc. and he can bring a great deal to the commentator table. I always liked Steve Crist during some those ESPN specials/ESPN Classics. I remember the Affirmed/Alydar one very well and Crist was very good. So was Bob Fox, the well known bloodstock agent/pedigree/breeding expert. Many years ago Bob developed and produced a racing show and he was very good. He might not be a "regular" type of everyday commentator, but Andy Beyer can add a great deal to a discussion, interview, etc. Lastly, Kurt Paseka also brings a lot to the table. He can play in and off other personalities and also has a grab you style.

Nobody, not one or more people as talent, are going to bring fans in mass to this sport. However, keeping the fans we have might be a good place to start.

Eric

You have clearly been too taken in by the Siros shows at the spa. I really don't think we need that on a national stage. Kurt Paseka ? Get out of town ! I remember seeing one of the shows last summer and he certainly was less than stellar. He was supposed to comment on every race thru the card and he had no opinion on many races and serling had to prod him on when he clearly was there only to get his pay check and said as much. Then serling tried to entertain with stories of how kurt had won thousands on a particular derby day and had blown it all by the time the derby was run and had no money to bet. Kurt seemed to be a wiseass reformed gambling addict who was getting a break from crist, his old boss at Figs form ? Then he had him do some poker columns in the drf. Your mention of him seems very unusual, to say the least. Andy on national tv, would have to be a very tight rein, though he is improving on his drf/youbet show. Crist, I always listen too, as he is not abrasive , knows his stuff , is highly intelligent etc. Beyer is highly intelligent too ( see his opinion of Curlin ! ) , he can be very entertaining, but is clearly a morsel and not a main dish for a broadcast. I do wonder about Hank Goldberg, to me he adds very little. That reese guy brought nothing to the party either. Tom Hammond is also looking more bizarre each year with teased up hair and alot of eyeliner and makeup. I'm waiting for the complete transformation with lipstick and dress. :D

JPinMaryland
05-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Look Hank Goldberg is obviously laboring under some sort of infirmity. He did it again on fri. when he had to look down at his cheat sheet to tell the viewers who his favorite was in one of the races. It's bad. Jeneane actually had her arm around his shoulder yesterday and probably that says it all.

He had trouble with the cue cards and stuff last year but this year it's worse.