PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth question

highnote
05-18-2007, 05:08 AM
I was using Google Earth tonight and found an interesting location.

It's in Wyoming in the Thunder Basin National Grasslands.

It looks like a big, backwards question mark. I can't tell whether it is manmade or natural.

Also, is that a railroad to the right of it?

Here are the coordinates:

43 degrees 24' 19.62" N
105 degrees 21' 47.18" W

Any ideas?

OTM Al
05-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Looks like some sort of mining operation. There appears to be a dirt road that leads out and there appears to be some large vehicles parked down near the railroad overpass. Probably not very active any more though.

bigmack
05-18-2007, 11:50 AM
The latest version is 4.1 (don't forget to have the latest)

For other wild locations: http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0

highnote
05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks, Al.

That's what I was thinking.

But I also thought that railroad might be a river and that somehow that river carved out that question mark design.

That doesn't really seem likely, though.

Most likely a mining operation.

But I didn't realize there could be a mining operation that big in the middle of a National Grassland. Nor did I realize there could be a railroad through the middle of it. I thought those kinds of places are protected.

Maybe the mining was done before the grasslands were set aside by the government.

OTM Al
05-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Regular Google map showed it as a railroad. The road moving away is really dull in spots indicating that it hadn't been used in some time, so if figure it is a very old operation that's been shut for some time.

highnote
05-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Al,
I didn't even think about checking another Google map. Good idea.

My AAA paper road map didn't show. But then, it's not that good of a map -- what do you expect for free. :D

I wonder how deep the mine is. I've seen some pretty big operations. I forget where, but I saw a copper mine that was enormous.

I've also seen some pretty big quarries -- I think Indiana or Illinois -- somewhere on Interstate 80, if I'm not mistaken.

OTM Al
05-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Those old quarries in Indiana were great for swimming and diving off cliffs after they filled up with water. Because it was limestone, the water stayed pretty clear. There was even one that had been coverted into a park. I think they showed the guys in "Breaking Away" swimming in one if memory serves

Dave Schwartz
05-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Did you see the second train in the picture?

What are the chances of catching two trains side-by-side?

highnote
05-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Those old quarries in Indiana were great for swimming and diving off cliffs after they filled up with water. Because it was limestone, the water stayed pretty clear. There was even one that had been coverted into a park. I think they showed the guys in "Breaking Away" swimming in one if memory serves

You're right about them being great places to swim. We used to go swimming in the strip mines in Ohio. The water was crystal clear. It was blue like in the Caribbean.

We spent many summer afternoons in high school drinking beer and jumping off of 30 foot cliffs. Miracle I'm alive to tell about. :D

Guess we were thrill seekers. Also we were trying to impress the girls. :ThmbUp:

highnote
05-18-2007, 01:43 PM

I thought that was a train. I wasn't sure, though. I didn't notice two of them, though. I'll check again.

That must be a pretty rare event.

Dave Schwartz
05-18-2007, 02:19 PM
John,

Go south just past the overpass.

Dave

highnote
05-18-2007, 03:43 PM
It's amazing how long those trains are!

OTM Al
05-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Kind of looks like one is full of coal and the other is empty, going back to get a fresh load

highnote
06-06-2007, 03:45 AM

I did some more research on Thunder Basin...

"the largest surface coal mine in North America is located in Thunder Basin National Grassland."

Those are some of the longest coal trains in the world.