PDA

View Full Version : I do not understand the facination with Team sports

samyn on the green
05-18-2007, 01:12 AM
Isn't baseball a game for 8 year old boys? How the heck did they trick you into watching grown men play this? It is such a bore that they have to turn the whole team dynamic into a daytime soap opera to maintain interest. I really loved these TV games when I was 8 years old. Then the NFL was exciting up to my early 20's but I just can not be bothered with any of it anymore.

Ponies take up 100% of my "sports" time. I think there are many in the boat with me.

DanG
05-18-2007, 02:06 AM
Isn't baseball a game for 8 year old boys? How the heck did they trick you into watching grown men play this? It is such a bore that they have to turn the whole team dynamic into a daytime soap opera to maintain interest. I really loved these TV games when I was 8 years old.
The older I get, the more I appreciate playing, watching and attending live baseball.

I hope that never changes.

kenwoodallpromos
05-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Unlike team sports, in horseracing everybody is moving in the same direction at the same time. Some find that boring.

philsfan07
05-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Isn't baseball a game for 8 year old boys? How the heck did they trick you into watching grown men play this? It is such a bore that they have to turn the whole team dynamic into a daytime soap opera to maintain interest. I really loved these TV games when I was 8 years old. Then the NFL was exciting up to my early 20's but I just can not be bothered with any of it anymore.

Ponies take up 100% of my "sports" time. I think there are many in the boat with me.

Well, considering they are at an all time high in ratings and attendance, you are probably in the minority. I have played all my life and I can even admit it can get boring on TV, but there is NOTHING better than spending an afternoon at a ballgame.. Nothing comes close.

OTM Al
05-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Baseball was a game invented in the big city by working men. Of course kids play it. I've seen several at the track that think that's pretty cool too. Luckily, I love both, so I guess I get the best of both worlds

Suff
05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I find Baseball equally if not more enjoyable on the Radio.

philsfan07
05-18-2007, 10:13 AM

Only with a great announcer..

OTM Al
05-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Yeah, got to agree with philsfan on that one. A guy like Bob Uecker is a joy to listen to, but these weekday Yanks games with John Sterling and Suzan Waldman are excruciating, but my only choice while at work. Didn't think it could get worse that the Kay/Sterling team, but it has. They near Tim McCarver level of annoyance.

philsfan07
05-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Yeah, got to agree with philsfan on that one. A guy like Bob Uecker is a joy to listen to, but these weekday Yanks games with John Sterling and Suzan Waldman are excruciating, but my only choice while at work. Didn't think it could get worse that the Kay/Sterling team, but it has. They near Tim McCarver level of annoyance.

I can say I've been blessed with Harry Kalas, a hall of fame announcer. He's a joy.

Some that I have also enjoyed are Vin Scully and Jon Miller.

I do feel bad for you OTM, the few times I listen to the Yankees/Sox on the Yankee station, I feel like it's a 3 hour advertising show hearing them occasionally talk baseball. They must pack 17 different tire places and 14 loan services ads in one game.

MONEY
05-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Having played baseball in my youth and appreciating how difficult the game is to play, I used to love watching baseball on television until the stations started using all those annoying swooshing and ringing sounds. I no longer watch baseball on TV, but still enjoy an occasional live game.

DanG
05-18-2007, 11:11 AM
They near Tim McCarver level of annoyance.
LOL Al… I certainly second that!!!

Originally Posted by samyn on the green:
Isn't baseball a game for 8 year old boys?
I’m of the opinion that when the “8yo boy dies”, so does the man. I’m not advocated an 8yo's lack of responsibility, but there is a joy in associating with people who retain that inner child and don’t take themselves too seriously IMHO.

njcurveball
05-18-2007, 11:28 AM
My Father who was much older than 8 use to get packs of lined paper and binders before the season and watch or listen to every Phillies game and keep score.

162 games a year, every inning, every at bat. He had binders from previous years for reference.

Many people have love for the game, young and old. It actually used to be more loved by children. Today I find most kids would not be able to even tell you their home teams record.

Horse racing is interesting because you can get a bet down. Take away the betting from the game and attendance would die a slow death.

Same with football to a lesser degree.

Fans who really love the game are usually baseball fans.

Now if you want a soap opera try basketball! :lol:

keilan
05-18-2007, 11:39 AM

I've wondered where you've been :)

samyn on the green
05-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Maybe I had a alternate experience growing up in the deep inner-city. Grew up playing handball, stickball and boxing. Other entertainment included horse races at the Big-A and dice games. Watching a couple of suburban fairies on TV chase a ball in between 17 dozen beer commercials is not my idea of a good time. To each his own. Millions seem to love these ball games so you ball game watchers have plenty of company.

ranchwest
05-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Maybe I had a alternate experience growing up in the deep inner-city. Grew up playing handball, stickball and boxing. Other entertainment included horse races at the Big-A and dice games. Watching a couple of suburban fairies on TV chase a ball in between 17 dozen beer commercials is not my idea of a good time. To each his own. Millions seem to love these ball games so you ball game watchers have plenty of company.

Maybe it wasn't you who grew away from the game you knew as an 8 yo. Maybe the game grew away from you.