PDA

View Full Version : Speed Indexes

timtam
05-18-2007, 12:55 AM
I was looking over a system called Magic Square by DD Brown and

notices his entire back section on Speed Rating concentrated on Speed

Indexes. In his examples the Speed Indexes are included in the Racing Form

but noticed in the current edition Speed Indexes aren't included anymore.

They may have been discontinued for years but does anyone know when

they were discontinued ?

Gibbon
05-18-2007, 01:21 AM
The infamous speed index predates the Beyers by a number of years.
I'm guessing the SI was discontinued some 16 years ago.

But not to worry,
the old DRF speed rating plus track variant are still in print and remain
profitable. :)

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2007, 02:55 AM
But not to worry,
the old DRF speed rating plus track variant are still in print and remain
profitable. :)

Hopefully, there will be a publication or product forthcoming explaining exactly how....:rolleyes:

Gibbon
05-18-2007, 06:02 PM
...there will be a publication or product forthcoming explaining exactly how.... I'm just delighted the administrator has taken a keen interest in my methodology. No doubt, PA possess that rare combination of a sharp intellect and an open mind. Not to mention PA is a gentleman. {more on that at another time} This alone should encourages us all the clink on a sponsored link.

To answer your poignant query I would recommend Tom Brohamer's book “Modern Pace Handicapping.” Although most of the book is an exercise in futility, chapter 10, page 210 is the key to the mint.

Donnie
05-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Gibbon---
My book talks nothing about variants on page 210...in fact, the 10th chapter doesn't start till page 247.....How about a quick quote from the passage you are referring to...just the first few words will do!! I have sooooo many keys laying around here I have forgotten which one belongs to the mint again!! :eek:

Gibbon
05-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Memory lapses do happen to everyone.

DRF press ISBN# 0-9648493-7-2
Chapter 10 starts on page 209
chapter titled “The Daily Racing Form Variant.”

Abstract to follow...
“experienced handicappers are quick to point to the many drawbacks of the Daily Racing Form variants. They are correct in virtually every negative criticism........”

“In 1982 Doc Sartin, in Factor Analysis, developed an approach for the use of DRF Variants.....”

“.......the late William Scott.......advanced the idea of using 1 length for every 2pts. Of variant...”

Copyright 2000 by Tom Brohamer - second edition

Donnie,
To be fair, I use my own adjustments which are distance, surface and track specific. Sometimes even Jockey specific based on a riders preferred running style. But this kind of work is well beyond the abilities of the weekend warrior.

That is why I place a heavy emphasis in simplicity for the overwhelming majority of players. Any thing else and your up against players like me that well eat you alive and enjoy doing it.

Pace Cap'n
05-18-2007, 08:20 PM
That is why I place a heavy emphasis in simplicity for the overwhelming majority of players. Any thing else and your up against players like me that well eat you alive and enjoy doing it.

Easy on the dissemination--we're not worthy...

ranchwest
05-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Easy on the dissemination--we're not worthy...

Gotta be careful when you don't have 1.8 children in your household.

Tom
05-18-2007, 09:00 PM
That is why I place a heavy emphasis in simplicity for the overwhelming majority of players. Any thing else and your up against players like me that well eat you alive and enjoy doing it.[/font]

:lol::lol::lol:

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm just delighted the administrator has taken a keen interest in my methodology. No doubt, PA possess that rare combination of a sharp intellect and an open mind. Not to mention PA is a gentleman. {more on that at another time} This alone should encourages us all the clink on a sponsored link.

They must be giving out the "Thinly Veiled Dickness Award" this month. Yeah, I don't understand what I just wrote either.

I just love it when someone pretends they are someone who's been kicked off in the past and are now back to try and trick and trap their way to greatness.

Again, I am clueless as to what I just wrote.

As T. Soprano recently thought to himself "these 'shrooms are f_in incredible!"

raybo
05-19-2007, 05:24 AM
Memory lapses do happen to everyone.

DRF press ISBN# 0-9648493-7-2
Chapter 10 starts on page 209
chapter titled “The Daily Racing Form Variant.”

Abstract to follow...
“experienced handicappers are quick to point to the many drawbacks of the Daily Racing Form variants. They are correct in virtually every negative criticism........”

“In 1982 Doc Sartin, in Factor Analysis, developed an approach for the use of DRF Variants.....”

“.......the late William Scott.......advanced the idea of using 1 length for every 2pts. Of variant...”

Copyright 2000 by Tom Brohamer - second edition

Donnie,
To be fair, I use my own adjustments which are distance, surface and track specific. Sometimes even Jockey specific based on a riders preferred running style. But this kind of work is well beyond the abilities of the weekend warrior.

Is this guy for real?